Harbhajan Singh banned for 11 IPL matches

Guest HariSampath

Guest HariSampath

Harbhajan Singh banned for 11 IPL matches Harbhajan has been banned for 11 IPL games by the IPL governing committee. This is just the IPL ruling and the BCCI process is expected to be separate. This means that Harbhajan cannot play till the Finals of the IPL tournament ( as 11 matches mean till the semi finals). It has not been clarified whether the previous match when Bhajji was suspended is part of the 11 games. If it is , it means that technically Harbhajan is eligible to play the semi finals in the event of Mumbai Indians reaching the last 4. There has been no penalty of any kind on Sreesanth

Guest HariSampath

More news from IPL chairman Lalit Modi... No provocation charges found against Sreesanth. He has just been given a warning. 100% match fees for IPL slashed for Bhajji. Lalchand Rajput's role taken very seriously by BCCI/IPL. He has been found guilty of ICC level 2 offence and fined 15% of match fees ( abetting, not preventing the incident). ( probably Lalu's role as any Indian manager/coach is now permanently over I think )

Guest HariSampath

Farokh Engineer is certainly enjoying the limelight. Yesterday replying to a question he answered " are you trying to get me stumped ? I am a wicket keeper and can read all googlies" In todays media ratrace for headlines, angles and stories, I wonder how STILL NOBODY has asked Farokh Engineer about the incident when he went to hit Abid Ali with a cricket bat during a test match in England, in the Indian dressing room. Abid Ali also picked up a bat and fortunately disaster was prevented because of Venkataraghavan and others intervening. ( This was in 1974 ). Some smart journalist could have blown Farokh's "spirit of the game" bullsht by simply asking " Mr Engineer, what do you think should have been the penalty imposed on you for that incident, considering you were representing India overseas and were about to assault a fellow team member with a bat. How come you got away scot free and played longer for India" ( This incident is documented and even Sunil Gavaskar had written in his 'Sunny Days'..."fortunately , the bat manufacturers did not get to see whose brand was better " ) Play that googly Engineer.....

Farokh Engineer is certainly enjoying the limelight. Yesterday replying to a question he answered " are you trying to get me stumped ? I am a wicket keeper and can read all googlies" In todays media ratrace for headlines, angles and stories, I wonder how STILL NOBODY has asked Farokh Engineer about the incident when he went to hit Abid Ali with a cricket bat during a test match in England, in the Indian dressing room. Abid Ali also picked up a bat and fortunately disaster was prevented because of Venkataraghavan and others intervening. ( This was in 1974 ). Some smart journalist could have blown Farokh's "spirit of the game" bullsht by simply asking " Mr Engineer, what do you think should have been the penalty imposed on you for that incident, considering you were representing India overseas and were about to assault a fellow team member with a bat. How come you got away scot free and played longer for India" ( This incident is documented and even Sunil Gavaskar had written in his 'Sunny Days'..."fortunately , the bat manufacturers did not get to see whose brand was better " ) Play that googly Engineer.....
Actually, it doesn't matter. Yes, he was wrong in doing it. so what? Just because he committed a mistake, it doesn't take his right away from pointing out a similar mistake. It would be wrong on his part had he somehow tried to justify what he did, but would reject a similar justification here. He didn't do either of this, did he?

Sreesanth was let off with a warning after video evidence showed Harbhajan slapped him without any provocation. The duo embraced at the end of the hearing after Harbhajan offered an apology in front of the cameras. Harbhajan will not be appealing against the ban. "The referee studied video tapes of the incident and found the assault by Harbhajan was totally unprovoked. The footage exactly showed that Harbhajan went down the line, wishing all the players, shaking hands with a few players," said Lalit Modi, the commissioner of the IPL who is also a vice-president of the BCCI. "Sreesanth was the third player that he met. Instead of shaking his hand he actually slapped him and continued down the line, shaking hands with the other players." http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ipl/content/current/story/347804.html

Guest HariSampath
Actually' date=' it doesn't matter. Yes, he was wrong in doing it. so what? Just because he committed a mistake, it doesn't take his right away from pointing out a similar mistake. It would be wrong on his part had he somehow tried to justify what he did, but would reject a similar justification here. He didn't do either of this, did he?[/quote'] My point was that no one has explored a juicy angle in this ongoing slapgate controversy, one that involves the adjudicator/referee himself....I just said that such a "newsworthy" angle hasn't been latched on to by any mediaperson...probably because of the fact not many of the current cricket journos know their cricket and history, not surprising because they all belong to the new breed of cricket followers of just the last 5-6 years