The biggest flops at the IPL

tnameh

The biggest flop to me is SreeRajiniSanth. sreesanthyg9.gif I'd have expected an unarmed RajiniSanth to destroy an army of body guards, armed with automatic weapons, but instead was shocked to see him slapped by a Sardar & worse, being reduced to a BabySanth. I reckon, going by Sree's reaction, he must have spared Bhajji, because Bhajji must have been Santh's long lost brother. Did anyone notice the rings these two were wearing, the ones mommy gave to the two brothers ? Sree later confessed that he cried because he was disappointed that his brother was so ugly. The IPL committee & BCCI are even bigger flops, appointing match referees and judges to resolve a family matter simbly.

Flops by value 1. Dravid ($1.035 million). Dravid is obvious. $1 million+, 1-3 record, horrible batting and captaincy. 2. Kallis ($925,000). Kallis has underperformed considering how much money he is being paid. His bowling has been atrocious and his batting very pedestrian. He has made a few good catches and taken a wicket here or there but overall he has been a detriment to his team. 3. Sreesanth ($625,000). VERY expensive bowler and he has embarrassed himself, the league, and the country with his stupid antics. 4. Ganguly ($1.092 million). His batting is pure rubbish BUT he is doing something right as a captain because his team is looking strong with a healthy 3-1 record. He's still overpaid though. 5. Vettori ($625,000). He plays one match and gets paid this much money for just one wicket? Come on. 6. Jayasuriya ($975,000). A million dollars for his disappointing performances so far? He has so much potential but he hasn't lived up to it. A million dollars for a 17 average, 68 runs in 4 innings, and 9.33 bowling econ? 7. Kaif ($675,000). He's not a bad batsman and his stats are only slightly worse than Jayasuriya's, but he's still very overpaid for his performances so far. I didn't include Laxman on the list because he is getting paid less than $400,000. His batting hasn't been great but his team's losses aren't necessarily his fault either. I didn't include Ponting because although he is a big name, he is getting paid relatively little and thus doesn't deserve the same criticism as the other players. He's also a leader on a successful team.

Dravid's captaincy has been good IMO. He just doesn't have the stellar team to back him up. He got a rough decision today, too. He was hit outside off and it was high. Ganguly, has been good as a batsman (Kolkata's played on terrible pitches so far) and his captaincy is awesome. Vettori has been good in that match.

Sachin did flop. And his team has been a massive disappointment so far - especially to me since I've followed Mumbai cricket quite a bit. Read my lines above carefully. I'm not saying getting injured is his fault. But it's disappointing to see a player of his standard sit out of such a high profile tournament, especially when he could be out there competing with some of his old foes. I'm hoping he's fit before Mumbai play Delhi and Rajasthan. I want to see him bat against McGrath and Warne. For the amount paid to him by Ambani, Sachin has been a flop show - at least to Ambani. Correct? And do you think all these people paid for their IPL tickets to watch Shaun Pollock bat? It's not just that. There are all kinds of theories doing the round about Sachin. He's known to be fastidious about his own image, about the kind of people he is seen with. Example, there were talks about how he had an in-form Mumbai player dropped from the final of the 2007 Ranji Trophy. Mumbai were playing Bengal at the Wankhede and Sachin was gonna play. But this player, who had played his heart out throughout the season, was dropped. Why? It came down to "he goes or I go" and the poor guy had to make way for Sachin. Bet you did not know this. Mumbai Indians is a damn expensive franchise. (The most expensive, if I read the papers right). And there have been some questionable and nonsensical hirings. Instead of banking on the rich local talent, Sachin has persisted with old chum Harbhajan who has now become an embarassment for all those who supported him in Australia. In turn, Harbhajan brought in Dominic Thornley, who is his county cricket buddy. Now Thornley is nursing the blow to his face. Besides, here's his record. Are you telling me that Mumbai didn't have any better local players than this? They bought Ashwell Prince who was axed from South Africa's ODI squad and doesn't even have T20 experience. Then, there's Ashish Nehra. Weren't there any better options than a fast bowler who wasn't even fit for his state side till recently? That the state side with 37 Ranji titles should pass this as their team is disappointing. And DO NOT tell me that Sachin was not responsible for these hirings. I rest my case. He needn't play a game to be a flop here. He's got the most expensive franchise to manage and captain too. And so far, his handling has been utter nonsense. The man has been an absolute no-show (and that answers Marir's Question No. 2) especially because he seems to have washed off his hands off the mess his team is in right now. I'd love to be proved wrong, and I'd love to see Mumbai reach the knockouts from here. But I doubt it if that would happen. Reactions please.

He has not had a chance to perform. You don't call Kapil Dev a flop because he didnt win the 2003 world cup.
Dude, you think that's all there is to it --- his not playing a match? Gimme a break. :haha: Isn't he the captain of the worst team in the IPL right now? Isn't he the captain of the most expensive franchise? Isn't he responsible for hirings of the crap players who are playing crap cricket right now? Most importantly, does he have it in him to turn things around? I sure hope he does.

Flops by value 1. Dravid ($1.035 million). . 2. Kallis ($925,000). 3. Sreesanth ($625,000). 4. Ganguly ($1.092 million). 5. Vettori ($625,000). 6. Jayasuriya ($975,000). 7. Kaif ($675,000).
Good list but did anyone actually expect anything different from them. Gangs, Dravid and laxman are there to put asses in the seats and thats about it. The rest, noone here could explain their huge price.

Sachin did flop. And his team has been a massive disappointment so far - especially to me since I've followed Mumbai cricket quite a bit. Read my lines above carefully. I'm not saying getting injured is his fault. But it's disappointing to see a player of his standard sit out of such a high profile tournament, especially when he could be out there competing with some of his old foes. I'm hoping he's fit before Mumbai play Delhi and Rajasthan. I want to see him bat against McGrath and Warne. For the amount paid to him by Ambani, Sachin has been a flop show - at least to Ambani. Correct? And do you think all these people paid for their IPL tickets to watch Shaun Pollock bat? It's not just that. There are all kinds of theories doing the round about Sachin. He's known to be fastidious about his own image, about the kind of people he is seen with. Example, there were talks about how he had an in-form Mumbai player dropped from the final of the 2007 Ranji Trophy. Mumbai were playing Bengal at the Wankhede and Sachin was gonna play. But this player, who had played his heart out throughout the season, was dropped. Why? It came down to "he goes or I go" and the poor guy had to make way for Sachin. Bet you did not know this. Mumbai Indians is a damn expensive franchise. (The most expensive, if I read the papers right). And there have been some questionable and nonsensical hirings. Instead of banking on the rich local talent, Sachin has persisted with old chum Harbhajan who has now become an embarassment for all those who supported him in Australia. In turn, Harbhajan brought in Dominic Thornley, who is his county cricket buddy. Now Thornley is nursing the blow to his face. Besides, here's his record. Are you telling me that Mumbai didn't have any better local players than this? They bought Ashwell Prince who was axed from South Africa's ODI squad and doesn't even have T20 experience. Then, there's Ashish Nehra. Weren't there any better options than a fast bowler who wasn't even fit for his state side till recently? That the state side with 37 Ranji titles should pass this as their team is disappointing. And DO NOT tell me that Sachin was not responsible for these hirings. I rest my case. He needn't play a game to be a flop here. He's got the most expensive franchise to manage and captain too. And so far, his handling has been utter nonsense. The man has been an absolute no-show (and that answers Marir's Question No. 2) especially because he seems to have washed off his hands off the mess his team is in right now. I'd love to be proved wrong, and I'd love to see Mumbai reach the knockouts from here. But I doubt it if that would happen. Reactions please.
Very interesting post! :two_thumbs_up: I never thought Sachin could be that selfish!!

Very interesting post! :two_thumbs_up: I never thought Sachin could be that selfish!!
Thanks man. You know how famous people, great leaders and public figures have carefully cultivated public images, right? Sachin's no different. If you and I were in his place, we would probably behave the same way.

Nilesh Kulkarni. You might want to read the report. http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/india/content/story/278612.html Sure, pace-friendly pitch and all. How bad was the pitch for you to leave out your leading wicket taker of the season. Especially when he had bowled his ass out off and helped bring your team to the final. The team management put up a facade to hide the reason behind Kulkarni's dropping.

any credible evidence to back up your assumption????

:haha: Sure man. I was in the dressing room filming the incident when it happened. :haha: I could turn around and ask: any empirical evidence that Tendulkar is "god"? I don't wish to be believed. Take everything I say with a pinch of salt. In fact, do not believe me at all. It doesn't bother me. But I know where I am coming from and I have seen Mumbai cricket from close quarters. Let me ask you something. You're captaining this team, that was on the verge of relegation in the Ranji Trophy. Three games down, you had won nothing. You're a side with 36 Ranji titles, and the whole country is looking in your direction. But you are playing crap and are about to be knocked out of the league. Yet, somehow, miracles happen. You win the next few games, you win the semis, and incredibly, you're in the final. There's just one bowler who's bowled you to that stage. He leads your wicket charts. He's your best guy and he has delivered each time you threw the ball to him. Would you drop him for the final when he's played for you throughout the season? Would you? And yet, if you do drop him, how would you justify it as a cricketing decision? Take your time before you answer that.

Overpaid cricketers: Kallis, Dravid, Ganguly, Tendulkar, Kaif, Symonds(not worth 1.3 mil), Kaif, Tiwary, Sreesanth, RP Singh Underpaid: Grame Smith, Shane Warne, Watson, Sangakarra, Praveen Kumar, Maharoof, i could think of more but heres a few.