‘Classless’: World divided as Kohli trolls Barmy Army after embarrassing England

sage

another moment

India captain Virat Kohli, on Monday, got annoyed after being asked about his animated celebrations over Kane Williamson’s dismissal on day two of the second Test before clarifying that match referee Ranjan Madugalle had no issues with what happened.

However, when Williamson was asked about the incident, New Zealand captain downplayed the incident, saying it was “typical of Virat, who plays the game with a lot of passion“.

Even I'm kinda divided on this behavior. I'm no stranger to smash the great rat now and then (all the time actually). But kolhi wants to give it back to them. I don't know what was being said. I was reading something and someone said he was called snake charmer or something and he was giving it back by doing the pipe to mock them. If that was the case, I don't find anything wrong in it. or maybe this person is part of the big kolhi PR effort. something to think about :hmmm:

as someone here said, they were going all bc mc on him with the trumpet. the easiest and possibly the right conclusion is he was making fun of those drunk bozos with trumpet by making a trumpet of his own. barmy army are usually playful but they are only better in comparison with their football hooligans. post 2005, they are getting as raucous as the aussie fans.

Its bad optics if you are the captain of a professional team and over 30 and you resort to this. Steve Smith just handled all the boos 2 years ago with class. never said a word. but then again smith is not a showboat like our (un)lovable rat. The great WI team of the 70s and 80s copped quite a few nasty and even racist sledges from the crowd and the Aussie team but they showed how to give it back - by beating aussies black and blue. Maybe that's the better template. but rat is rat. he will do ratlike things. it can't be changed.

@Gollum After thinking about this, I'm changing my mind on Novak's reaction to crowd disturbance. While I still maintain, he is a 34 year old no.1 player and an elite sportsman who shouldn't react to the crowd in nasty ways, I have sympathy for someone who is receiving crowd abuse in an individual sport where you are all alone in the court. Rightly he is the one who will end up with more slams. I will be cheering for him in this year's USO. Go get 21 in 21 Novak also the CYGS. He will be competitive until its 2025. So 25-30 GS is not far from reach.

1 hour ago, Real McCoy said:

@Gollum After thinking about this, I'm changing my mind on Novak's reaction to crowd disturbance. While I still maintain, he is a 34 year old no.1 player and an elite sportsman who shouldn't react to the crowd in nasty ways, I have sympathy for someone who is receiving crowd abuse in an individual sport where you are all alone in the court. Rightly he is the one who will end up with more slams. I will be cheering for him in this year's USO. Go get 21 in 21 Novak also the CYGS. He will be competitive until its 2025. So 25-30 GS is not far from reach.

My opinion about Nole changed around 2015-16. Not because of him or the slam race, but based on how toxic the WASPs and stiff upper lip Brits have been against certain players/ethnicities and how they control media narrative in tennis. Check how Lendl was treated in his glory days, unlike Nole he was a shy/introverted guy friendly with his rivals, no tantrums or cry for attention.

Ivan Lendl Signed Sports Illustrated Magazine.... Miscellaneous | Lot  #41159 | Heritage Auctions

These tennis elites are biased against Russians and Eastern Europeans, tomorrow if an Indian guy makes it to the top the narrative will be against him as well.

Nole has many faults like any human, but doesn't deserve this much demonization. Did you see the media hit jobs against him when he was reluctant to take the vaccine? How they dragged him, his parents/siblings, upbringing, Serbia through the mud. Diminished his tennis achievements based on something not related to tennis. It is as if they are waiting for opportunities to paint him as the biggest villain in the history of tennis. 

Edited by Gollum

@Real McCoy don't think Nole will win the USO. Not playing well and appears too nervous, maybe because of the weight of occasion and Tokyo Olympics disaster. Dropping sets left, right and centre, did that even against his pigeon Nishikori. Watched all his matches till now, his level is pretty bad. 

Also USO is the most open GS in men's tour. He may improve but has a brutal draw now from QF to F. Berrettini, Zverev, Medvedev most likely.....3 out of last 4 losing finalists in majors (Tsisti had no chance on this fast court with his rubbish BH and ROS). Nole should beat the Italian but Zverev is playing at a much higher level, looks poised to win his first major and about time!!!! And Medvedev has had a cakewalk draw, will be fresh for whoever he faces in the final. Don't see this version of Nole beating Zverev and Med B2B in a court where he doesn't have aura, in fact a losing record in finals.

Expecting him to beat the record and push towards 25 majors but bulk of the lifting must be done in AO and SW19. Not only is he a class above the rest in those two slams, he has an incredible aura in their main courts. He is RLA king and hasn't lost in SW19 CC since 2013 final against Murray. 

Edited by Gollum
16 minutes ago, Gollum said:

My opinion about Nole changed around 2015-16. Not because of him or the slam race, but based on how toxic the WASPs and stiff upper lip Brits have been against certain players/ethnicities and how they control media narrative in tennis. Check how Lendl was treated in his glory days, unlike Nole he was a shy/introverted guy friendly with his rivals, no tantrums or cry for attention.

Ivan Lendl Signed Sports Illustrated Magazine.... Miscellaneous | Lot  #41159 | Heritage Auctions

These tennis elites are biased against Russians and Eastern Europeans, tomorrow if an Indian guy makes it to the top the narrative will be against him as well.

Nole has many faults like any human, but doesn't deserve this much demonization. Did you see the media hit jobs against him when he was reluctant to take the vaccine? How they dragged him, his parents/siblings, upbringing, Serbia through the mud. Diminished his tennis achievements based on something not related to tennis. It is as if they are waiting for opportunities to paint him as the biggest villain in the history of tennis. 

But unlike Novak, Lendl embraced the heel role and has a saying "If the crowd cheer for me, thats great and I'll play to win for the crowd and if they are against me, I'll just play to win to piss them off" :lol: He didn't throw tantrums like cursing the crowd and throw racquets in the olympics.

Novak injured the line judge and was defaulted rightly so. Its a shame that Srdjan came and blamed the line judge and claimed it a conspiracy. While he may not be well liked, that was a bit over the top.

Media hit jobs are just :facepalm:In one of the Wimby interviews one guy asked him how does it make you feel like the bad guy going after Fedal's records. What's he suposed to say.

Serbia also has some godlike support for Novak and the stereotypes are there for a reason. They engaged in a hooligan type of atmosphere in Australia when they were playing for the Hopman cup(?) team battle vs Spain and Nadal. One croatian guy said they were drunk and cursing. 

If I like one thing about Novak, its his no nonsense approach to interviews and his reluctance to take the vaccine. Has he taken the vacc yet because of pressure? I hope he doesn't because a lot of players in the NBA and other sports said they aren't gonna and they took it at the last moment. If he stands by his stance, I'll be a fan of Novak the person. He is also a believer in God. Rafa is an atheist and Roger has his shady connection with Bill gates and along with Rafa played that match before the corona hit. I like Fedal as players but not so much their assocations with satanic elite :no:

23 minutes ago, Gollum said:

@Real McCoy don't think Nole will win the USO. Not playing well and appears too nervous, maybe because of the weight of occasion and Tokyo Olympics disaster. Dropping sets left, right and centre, did that even against his pigeon Nishikori. Watched all his matches till now, his level is pretty bad. 

Also USO is the most open GS in men's tour. He may improve but has a brutal draw now from QF to F. Berrettini, Zverev, Medvedev most likely.....3 out of last 4 losing finalists in majors (Tsisti had no chance on this fast court with his rubbish BH and ROS). Nole should beat the Italian but Zverev is playing at a much higher level, looks poised to win his first major and about time!!!! And Medvedev has had a cakewalk draw, will be fresh for whoever he faces in the final. Don't see this version of Nole beating Zverev and Med B2B in a court where he doesn't have aura, in fact a losing record in finals.

Expecting him to beat the record and push towards 25 majors but bulk of the lifting must be done in AO and SW19. Not only is he a class above the rest in those two slams, he has an incredible aura in their main courts. He is RLA king and hasn't lost in SW19 CC since 2013 final against Murray. 

He is usually like this at the start and raises his level at the second week. He lost sets to tiafoe in AO and struff in other slam. Novak is like Australia of 00s. They seem dead but it ain't over until the last ball is bowled. Same way Novak is still on until the opponent wins 3 sets against him. I have never seen him lose 3 sets to Berretini, Zverv or Medvedev. Next gen or new gen are flops. They will fold under pressure. Thiem is the last one to win against Novak apart from Fedal, Murray and Wawa. Spare a thought for tsitsipas who took him to 5 sets in RG but couldn't get it done. Would like him to get it here and get cygs. Never thought he would overcome the count before Rafa. That SF against Rafa in RG was brutal. He outdid Rafa in his own game.

32 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Novak injured the line judge and was defaulted rightly so. Its a shame that Srdjan came and blamed the line judge and claimed it a conspiracy. While he may not be well liked, that was a bit over the top.

Srdjan is a troll, doubt Nole takes him seriously. He reminds me of Washington Sundar's dad with his antics :laugh:

Media hit jobs are just :facepalm:In one of the Wimby interviews one guy asked him how does it make you feel like the bad guy going after Fedal's records. What's he suposed to say.

Yup, horrible. 

Serbia also has some godlike support for Novak and the stereotypes are there for a reason. They engaged in a hooligan type of atmosphere in Australia when they were playing for the Hopman cup(?) team battle vs Spain and Nadal. One croatian guy said they were drunk and cursing. 

I think Serbia suffers from minnow mentality in sports, like Bangladesh in cricket right now or India for most of our history. Take out Nole and they are zero. 

They aren't very good at sports compared to their neighbors, they aren't seen positively, no famous person apart from Nole, struggling country and of course the NATO bombings which made them suspicious of the West.

If I like one thing about Novak, its his no nonsense approach to interviews and his reluctance to take the vaccine. Has he taken the vacc yet because of pressure? I hope he doesn't because a lot of players in the NBA and other sports said they aren't gonna and they took it at the last moment. If he stands by his stance, I'll be a fan of Novak the person. He is also a believer in God. Rafa is an atheist and Roger has his shady connection with Bill gates and along with Rafa played that match before the corona hit. I like Fedal as players but not so much their assocations with satanic elite :no:

He hasn't taken the vaccine. In his last interview about corona in May, he hoped the vaccine isn't made. He has appealed for it to not be made mandatory in ATP circuit. Receiving lots of hate for his anti-vaccine stance. Even Tsitsipas is against vaccination.

Federer and Nadal are promoting vaccination. Fed did an interview where he talked about taking Pfizer vaccine and urged others to get vaccinated as well. Yeah, Fed is close to Bill Gates, they do charity events together. 

Edited by Gollum
1 hour ago, Gollum said:

Srdjan is a troll, doubt Nole takes him seriously. He reminds me of Washington Sundar's dad with his antics :laugh:

Yup, horrible. 

I think Serbia suffers from minnow mentality in sports, like Bangladesh in cricket right now or India for most of our history. Take out Nole and they are zero. 

They aren't very good at sports compared to their neighbors, they aren't seen positively, no famous person apart from Nole, struggling country and of course the NATO bombings which made them suspicious of the West.

He hasn't taken the vaccine. In his last interview about corona in May, he hoped the vaccine isn't made. He has appealed for it to not be made mandatory in ATP circuit. Receiving lots of hate for his anti-vaccine stance. Even Tsitsipas is against vaccination.

Federer and Nadal are promoting vaccination. Fed did an interview where he talked about taking Pfizer vaccine and urged others to get vaccinated as well. Yeah, Fed is close to Bill Gates, they do charity events together. 

Federer is going to pay for this. God will take his grand slam record and give it to Djokovic. Effing poser who does marketing for pifzer and a vaccc pusher. Bill Gates has some tapes or dirt on him. That's why he continues to do "charity" with him. Nadal is an atheist. God didn't even let him pass Federer for a while before being overtaken by Djokovic. If what you say is true, Djoko should push hard against this vacc scam.

22 hours ago, Adamant said:

@Mariyam

Your definition of a cricketer starts and ends with SRT but for me he was hardly exciting, actually I was more excited by the contents of my handkerchief the last time I blew my nose instead of watching SRT on field

So please don't apply your template on all others - hame apne mai shaamil mat karein, ham alag hain. 

Oh no. :((

Is this very frequent?

You clearly have no taste, you are a Kohli fan.:p:

Get the RT-PCR done. Far too many symptoms to ignore.

Stay safe :pray:

22 hours ago, Adamant said:

Who decides that? 

You need characters in the game, he is one of them. He raises the excitement level and is the biggest cricket superstar in the world. 

Go check out what abuses the windies of the 80s  used to hurl. Vivian Richards, Waugh, Symonds, Kp were all known for the same and they are fondly remembered not just for their batting but for their distinctiveness.

What do you have to say about his astute leadership at RCB for the last 8 odd years?

Is 'character' enough?

You are mouthing platitudes here. 'Character' cannot take precedence over on field performance. Yes, he is a great batsman and was in a rich vein of form for 2-3 years. But that has been 3 years ago. Would he give anyone else such a long rope?

All we are left with today is 'character'. Not character coupled with batting. That irks people.

Kohli has become like Ranatunga and Ganguly - perhaps a more extreme version. Both were good at getting under the opposition's skin. They make oppositions like Eng and Aus perform worse - although teams like NZ seem to be unaffected by it.

We need someone like that - but yes it would be great to see him perform with the bat as well. When he walked the talk he could get away with this - but now it is irritating to see someone be a jester without performing at his main task - batting. 

2 hours ago, Mariyam said:

What do you have to say about his astute leadership at RCB for the last 8 odd years?

Is 'character' enough?

You are mouthing platitudes here. 'Character' cannot take precedence over on field performance. Yes, he is a great batsman and was in a rich vein of form for 2-3 years. But that has been 3 years ago. Would he give anyone else such a long rope?

All we are left with today is 'character'. Not character coupled with batting. That irks people.

How does he average nearly 60 in odis 50 in t20s and 51 in tests if he only had two three good years?

Sachin avgd 44 after having 24 good years according to you? 

1 hour ago, bharathh said:

Kohli has become like Ranatunga and Ganguly - perhaps a more extreme version. Both were good at getting under the opposition's skin. They make oppositions like Eng and Aus perform worse - although teams like NZ seem to be unaffected by it.

We need someone like that - but yes it would be great to see him perform with the bat as well. When he walked the talk he could get away with this - but now it is irritating to see someone be a jester without performing at his main task - batting. 

that sort of character is okay if they are useful lightning rods allowing any attention to be deflected from the rest of the team. But it becomes toxic eventually. This was how Jose mourinho became one of the best managers in football but in Kohli's case it appears less contrived and more a result of his personality.

2 hours ago, Adamant said:

How does he average nearly 60 in odis 50 in t20s and 51 in tests if he only had two three good years?

Sachin avgd 44 after having 24 good years according to you? 

Honestly, I don't know.

I don't follow or understand cricket statistics. Nor do I claim to.

But I am sure there must be a reasonable statistical explanation for this. @Gollum @zen @Jimmy Cliff @New guy pls help!

Why is Sachin a part of this discussion? If anything I would compare Kohli to his predecessor captain; Dhoni.

On which captaincy metric would you rate Kohli the better captain?

Which other captain has been allotted a large wallet and yet not won the IPL even once in 8 years. The best RCB did under him was one final which they lost. And they qualified for the play offs thrice under his 'leadership'. 3 out of 8 seasons!

Apart from his marketability, is there any cricketing reason he is still the captain?

Edited by Mariyam
4 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Honestly, I don't know.

I don't follow or understand cricket statistics. Nor do I claim to.

But I am sure there must be a reasonable statistical explanation for this. @Gollum @zen @Jimmy Cliff @New guy pls help!

Why is Sachin a part of this discussion? If anything I would compare Kohli to his predecessor captain; Dhoni.

On which captaincy metric would you rate Kohli the better captain?

Which other captain has been allotted a large wallet and yet not won the IPL even once in 8 years. The best RCB did under him was one final which they lost. And they qualified for the play offs thrice under his 'leadership'. 3 out of 8 seasons!

Apart from his marketability, is there any cricketing reason he is still the captain?

Kohli is a big failure as a limited overs captain. 

As for IPL, the only reason he is still captaining RCB is bcoz franchise cricket is all about money and he is a big name. 

As far as test captaincy is concerned he is already the GOAT asian captain. 

Secondly this thread is not about captaincy, it's about his behavior, I am just saying that we need characters like him in cricket, dull and meek characters like Rahane and Pujji don't really have that excitement factor.