Question for those ever ready to P--- on IPL

jf1gp_1

No No, the problem is that some people like you fail to grasp the idea that winning IPL adds ZERO trophy to India's cabinet it adds zero legacy and zero pride.

Its a tournament where 8 indian teams fight amongst each others, who the eff cares which team wins, how does Mi or Kkr winning effect India's standing in world cricket.

International cricket is Real Cricket and it will remain so.

Ipl is just a domestic tournament which happens every year and nobody outside India knows about who won it.

Instead of cancelling a test  due to ipl we could have won our first series in eng since 07, that actually would have been some achievement. 

Aur zyada deshbhakti dikhane ki zaroorat nahi hai, IPL support karne se bhagat singh nahi ban jaoge chomu. 

2 minutes ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

That is because they skipped the last test for IPL. Players cancelled the 5th test, took a chartered plane and flew to Dubai to quarantine for IPL :hysterical:

Imagine if a touring team in India says in the middle of a series - "You know what, chuck it...we dont want to play anymore and are going back". What would be our reaction? What would be BCCIs reaction for the loses it would suffer?

We can spin it anyway we want but the blame in this entire saga lies only with BCCI/Indian players.

Careful bro, you will be labeled a paaki like others for speaking the truth -  by the IPL worshippers here

26 minutes ago, raki05 said:

This is so true when I was in school I din't even bother about our test series losses overseas or in India as long as we were competing or winning some odi series back then. I used to think players who can't play at high SR hype up test cricket what so exciting in 5 days of sloth fest which might end up with a draw. Later on my opinion changes with time,  but this is still quite true with many indian fans.

Those fans are just unsophisticated. 

Sallu movies still earn more than KK menon's, doesn't mean squat. 

2 minutes ago, Adamant said:

No No, the problem is that some people like you fail to grasp the idea that winning IPL adds ZERO trophy to India's cabinet it adds zero legacy and zero pride.

Its a tournament where 8 indian teams fight amongst each others, who the eff cares which team wins, how does Mi or Kkr winning effect India's standing in world cricket.

International cricket is Real Cricket and it will remain so.

Ipl is just a domestic tournament which happens every year and nobody outside India knows about who won it.

Instead of cancelling a test  due to ipl we could have won our first series in eng since 07, that actually would have been some achievement. 

Aur zyada deshbhakti dikhane ki zaroorat nahi hai, IPL support karne se bhagat singh nahi ban jaoge chomu. 

brother us serious India fans are apparently a minority on ICF or becoming a minority. There are some folks here who think a domestic franchise tournament where 40-50 games of slog fest  are packed in 2 months is more important than test cricket for India.

1 minute ago, rangeelaraja said:

brother us serious India fans are apparently a minority on ICF or becoming a minority. There are some folks here who think a domestic franchise tournament where 40-50 games of slog fest  are packed in 2 months is more important than test cricket for India.

These are also the guys who think our young cricketers are on par with aussies of the 2000s, just bcoz of this boundary bashing in  IPL, i  properly humbled them in that thread. 

Ipl is actually nowhere near international level, the pitches are too flat, the boundaries too short and foreign players aren't totally dedicated. 

Actually it is creating a sense of false Bravado where players like Sanju Samson are called as talented as Damien Martyn:hysterical:

1 minute ago, Adamant said:

These are also the guys who think our young cricketers are on par with aussies of the 2000s, just bcoz of this boundary bashing in  IPL, i  properly humbled them in that thread. 

Ipl is actually nowhere near international level, the pitches are too flat, the boundaries too short and foreign players aren't totally dedicated. 

Actually it is creating a sense of false Bravado where players like Sanju Samson are called as talented as Damien Martyn:hysterical:

IPL will always remain a tamasha slogfest tournament. 
Every 2 years it seems half the players play for different franchises especially foreign players. I mean how can you have any affinity for  tournament which foreign players just use to make a quick buck and there is hardly any attachment to a franchise except in rare cases with 3-4 foreign players over the last 12 years. 

20 minutes ago, Serpico said:

Average indian cricket fan likes a lot of things, you wouldn't like too. They might select Dhoni for upcoming wt20 as wkb if they had the power. You probably came here to discuss cricket instead of fb/whatsapp groups because you are a bit more passionate than the average fan. So no need to hold this average fan as the golden standard for cricket opinion

That's exactly the 'elitist' mindset I referred to. I have no grudges against the 'average fan' supporting Dhoni, Kohli or others whom I do not like and have always been critical of the player PR armies. But that in no way means I'll look down upon IPL just because I chose to be on a cricket forum.

6 minutes ago, rangeelaraja said:

IPL will always remain a tamasha slogfest tournament. 

Do you mean T20 is a slugfest? or it's just ipl? If IPL is slugfest, so is T20.

I would suggest to think twice before rubbishing T20. It will do much more to spread cricket than other forms.

1 hour ago, zen said:

Mainly good for political jumlas as on its own it means little. If 100 ppl make $1 of something GDP = 100. If 5 ppl make $10 of something, GDP = 50. In the first case, GDP per capita is $1, in the 2nd case $10. 

It isn't any jumla, change and progress has been slow but for those who don't want to keep spouting the same tired old cliches it's quite palpable and evident.

the dumbed down gdp per capita example is not correct because a lot of small countries with very high per capita don't have much clout if at all. the nation's image is certainly a lot better now than even 20 yrs ago and in some ways it has reflected in the way the cricket board throws it's weight around as well. 

Edited by rollingstoned

4 minutes ago, Adamant said:

The fact that we haven't won a single t20 wc since ipl started is probably the biggest comedy. 

And the biggest tragedy is that people think that just because BCCI organizes IPL,  rooting for Ambani's or Zinta or GMR group's private franchise team is even remotely comparable to rooting for India. 

Its a pity that such "patriotic" fans lecture others on patriotism.

22 minutes ago, Adamant said:

Those fans are just unsophisticated. 

Sallu movies still earn more than KK menon's, doesn't mean squat. 

Do they care or I care if you are sophisticated or not....All those sophisticated people still wipe Kohli's ass it's better to be an ipl fan than Kohli fan.

3 minutes ago, kepler37b said:

Do you mean T20 is a slugfest? or it's just ipl? If IPL is slugfest, so is T20.

I would suggest to think twice before rubbishing T20. It will do much more to spread cricket than other forms.

Every cricket format has its place.  But Test cricket National duty is at the top of the heap.

I've not denied that IPL has benefitted India.

But at the end of the day IPL is only a private franchise league with 50 odd games crammed in 2 months and where a player's allegiance to his franchise is mostly transient. 

Spreading the game does not mean its quality will rise. 

Most people don't have the appetite for a riveting 5 day match - in any sport. So don't have high hopes on Test cricket "spreading". 

But then it is the 5 day game - that makes cricket so unique, so exciting - atleast for those who appreciate its beauty.

Guys, it is possible to be both Test match and IPL fans, sure many cricket followers fully enjoy the variety & challenge that each format brings.

Imagine a CSK vs MI final in Chennai, MI decide not to play because of xyz reasons & they all fly back to Mumbai.  Imagine the uproar.  This is kind of equivalent to what happened in England.  Rivetting series, last game, series on the line, India's overseas win on the line and then Indian players decide not to play & fly back because of certain reasons.  Leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

As an Indian cricket fan, IPL would have been much more enjoyable knowing India had just won a test series in England.  All the snarkiness/sledging/grumpiness that the team faced required leaving Anderson & co in the dust.  However we have been robbed of that.

6 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

That's exactly the 'elitist' mindset I referred to. I have no grudges against the 'average fan' supporting Dhoni, Kohli or others whom I do not like and have always been critical of the player PR armies. But that in no way means I'll look down upon IPL just because I chose to be on a cricket forum.

what is elitist about it bro? do you like the taste of the average movie and tv serial fan? Would you disagree with me if I say all the star plus soap operas and reality shows are crap?

I am not saying average fans always like sub par stuff, just that fan numbers alone shouldn't carry any weight while discussing merit of stuff

44 minutes ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

That is because they skipped the last test for IPL. Players cancelled the 5th test, took a chartered plane and flew to Dubai to quarantine for IPL :hysterical:

Imagine if a touring team in India says in the middle of a series - "You know what, chuck it...we dont want to play anymore and are going back". What would be our reaction? What would be BCCIs reaction for the loses it would suffer?

We can spin it anyway we want but the blame in this entire saga lies only with BCCI/Indian players.

But that is what happening all around. Kane Williamson and several other NZ star skipped Pakistani series to play in ipl. SA players did the same and many English players is going to do same in few days.

18 minutes ago, rangeelaraja said:

And the biggest tragedy is that people think that just because BCCI organizes IPL,  rooting for Ambani's or Zinta or GMR group's private franchise team is even remotely comparable to rooting for India. 

Its a pity that such "patriotic" fans lecture others on patriotism.

Please continue apologizing for cancellation of 5th test the true 'patriots' of this country

I am one of the biggest fans of test cricket. Love this format the most.

But I don't see any clash between the IPL and test cricket.

India is playing many more tests per year than it did in the late 1980s and early 1990s. And there are very high quality and riveting test matches happening rather frequently. 

2020 and 2021 have been unusual years due to an unprecedented pandemic. We all feel tremendously disappointed if a test match gets cancelled.

But we will see lots of high quality test matches as well as a high quality IPL coexist for years to come.

We will enjoy both.