Question for those ever ready to P--- on IPL

jf1gp_1

15 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

You may mock me, but you are just being oblivious to ground realities. Touch base with your friends/relatives back in the city.

IPL sides have SM events with colleges and schools. Campion, GD Somani , Bombay Scottish, JB Vachcha ( all girls school), JB Petit (also a girls school) used to have (student paid) field trips to the Wankhede for IPL games and sometimes the training sessions ( at the reliance facility) in the pre-covid times.

That is how you build a fan base. Girls/women make up a huge share of the merch buying IPL fanbase now. 

College kids are roped in and trained for stadium management/usher/basic security detail/catering management duties. Basically in a world where there are tons of avenues for recreation, the Franchises have worked wonders in capturing attention. I have nothing but admiration for their marketing plans. A mere Mumbai Indian training/ players joking around video has lakhs of views. I know of people who have cried ( yeah its silly) when their side lost an IPL final. Bottom line is, there is a lot of effort to build an identity around a franchise and its showing now.

@Mariyam I do visit Mumbai every 2 years .

But I cannot relate to these sensibilities. I started watching the game in 95 ( 13-14 years before IPL took wings).

For me the nationalistic sentiment when the India flag being paraded after we win a real hard fought victory against the odds is goose bump worthy. It is feeling of joy that is unmatched. It is why i started watching the game.

Watching one billionaire's franchise slug it out against another does not cater to my emotions.  

Plus I feel disgusted at the de-humanizing "auctions" that take place every year ( boli lagana ) - turning the cricketers to mere commodities. 

I find it gross and unwatchable. 

Maybe IPL is for the "new" generation who have not grown up waking up at 4-5 AM to watch India touring Aus/NZ.

I prefer test cricket but enjoy the IPL also. It gives opportunity to unknowns like Tewatia to shine and earn a living. There's 1-2 exciting young Indian players on most teams and it's nice to see how they face up against international quality opposition. Also, regarding test cricket - we should stop devaluing home wins as if they are meaningless. In the recent England series at home, most batsmen including ours faced challenging conditions. Just because the challenge is not about pace/swing, we should not treat it as an inferior challenge. 

On 9/13/2021 at 2:05 PM, rangeelaraja said:

@Mariyam I do visit Mumbai every 2 years .

But I cannot relate to these sensibilities. I started watching the game in 95 ( 13-14 years before IPL took wings).

For me the nationalistic sentiment when the India flag being paraded after we win a real hard fought victory against the odds is goose bump worthy. It is feeling of joy that is unmatched. It is why i started watching the game.

Watching one billionaire's franchise slug it out against another does not cater to my emotions.  

Plus I feel disgusted at the de-humanizing "auctions" that take place every year ( boli lagana ) - turning the cricketers to mere commodities. 

I find it gross and unwatchable. 

Maybe IPL is for the "new" generation who have not grown up waking up at 4-5 AM to watch India touring Aus/NZ.

I HATE the words "sold" and "bought" referring to franchises hiring players. It is so disgusting!