How would the whole situation play out if there was no IPL happening right after?

SecondSlip

3 hours ago, jf1gp_1 said:

True but how many of us would go to work if we knew we were in contact with someone who was tested COVID +ve

Agreed . Thank you for having an intelligent conversation rather than attacking my perspective .

So I will isolate monitor myself and go back to work when it is mandated safe. 

My biggest problem is , lack of accountability and transparency. The team and BCCI owes fans like us a honest explanation, not conveniently go to uae to play ipl in hopes that ppl will forget this …  

4 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

Not to spread to others while travelling? Shouldn't they isolate from each other since nobody knows who will test positive in a couple of days. Isn't that the whole premises they wanted out of this test?

Not as per the protocols in UK which kicked in from 16th Aug. As per the new rules announced, if a person is fully vaccinated, no need to self isolate even if you are a close contact of someone who has tested positive. 

For international travel, take a RT PCR test before flying out to next destination and take another RT PCR test on arrival, then go into quarantine as per the destination country's rules.

14 hours ago, Stumped said:

They're not, the difference is Surrey couldn't get everyone PCR tested and obtain the results fast enough after the positive test came to light before needing to chuck everyone on a coach up to Durham. The entire Indian touring party had been PCR tested twice. It's also quite possible some of Surrey's squad weren't double vaccinated therefore had to legally self isolate. Surrey were back in action with the majority of their normal squad a week after the the positive test came to light. The cancelled game was likely pretty inconsequential and a money-coster rather than money-maker.

So health concerns went out of the window and all that mattered were commercial considerations.

Abd what's with this BS of they couldn't arrange PCR tests in time. The match was to start on 30th Aug, covid case came out on 27th Aug, match was cancelled on 28th a full day and a half before scheduled start.

Interesting ECB statement read "Due to the required isolation protocols and the extensive impact on Surrey's available playing squad, reluctantly the decision has been made that the match will not go ahead."

What are such isolation protocols which kick in for county matches but not for international matches? Did ECB risk the players, support staff, officials and fans through a huge covid scare by continuing with the 4th test despite 3 cases in Indian camp? 

What if instead of IPL, there was some other scheduled series? Our players would have departed England and would have reported for the training camp for that series. Would there be as much anger against them? Kohli(and by extension, the team's think tank) had asked for a delay of 2-3 days but were refused. What else could they do under the circumstances? Is it wrong to move on to their next series because this one ended badly? 

1 hour ago, Stumped said:

I'm not sure where you've got the information that the covid case became known on the 27th?

The game was in Durham, Surrey would've been planning to travel on the 29th. They became aware of the case on the 28th.

There was another county game in the same round where a player tested positive for covid on the morning of the game but due to sufficient social distancing/travel arrangements the game went ahead with the rest of the squad.

Same place from where you got the information that there was shortage of RT PCR tests at Surrey.

As for the rest of the post, the 4th test continued despite Shastri's positive case. 5th test didn't go ahead. It's consistent with ECB's handling of similar cases - one game goes ahead, other didn't.

1 hour ago, Stumped said:

Except I didn't claim that...? I pointed out that after finding out about the positive result the afternoon before they needed to travel there wouldn't have been time to get everyone tested, send the tests off and get all the results returned by the following morning, ignoring the fact that some of them who likely weren't double vaccinated would've been required to continue isolating anyway.

21 hours ago, Stumped said:

They're not, the difference is Surrey couldn't get everyone PCR tested and obtain the results fast enough after the positive test came to light before needing to chuck everyone on a coach up to Durham. 

Umm..see once again what you wrote. Happens when you are trying to invent excuses to defend double standards.

This was the ECB reaction when their own players had tested positive for covid before Pakistan LOIs in mid July, just 7 weeks back. This is Ashley Giles, ECB Director

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/england-odi-squad-in-isolation-after-covid-outbreak-20210706-p587fa.html

Note the tone then vs now.

“We are fully aware of the risks and we are aware of the knife edge that we are working on all the time,” said Giles, the managing director of England men’s cricket.

There’s a bit around looking after our people and keeping them sane as much as anything, while protecting the revenues of the whole game. It is a difficult balance to strike.

“We were sharing certain spaces within the hotel but not key areas such as eating areas. Given this variant, which is clearly more infectious, the risk of us catching infection in the group was obviously going to go up.

“We want to get cricket on, and we’ll do everything possible. We’re all aware of the mental pressures this causes our people, as well as the physical, and we have to work a way through that. But cricket is what we do and we’ve learnt a lot through this process.”

Giles said he was also confident that the Board of Control for Cricket in India will be happy to allow the five-Test series, which is scheduled to begin on August 4, to proceed this summer.

53 minutes ago, sarchasm said:

Have not gone through the whole thread but the question asked in OP is as valid as the following.

How would the whole situation have played out if ECB had not organized their latest shindig, The Hundred?

It's almost as if a few posters want us to believe IPL is less valuable than a random bilateral test match. ECB couldn't accommodate BCCI request on the Hundred, BCCI has no reasons, much less an obligation, to accommodate the ECB.

Every single report before the Test series had the revenues from the tour pegged at  20m pounds per test with the series worth 100m. Post 5th test cancellation, that number had gone upto 40m per test i.e. 200m for the entire series! 

if ECB is so much about commercial considerations and has sensible people in leadership, they'll count the money already made (50-60% more than they expected from the 5 tests) and will not be hell bent on destroying their relations with BCCI. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

I do believe BCCI has sufficient grounds to challenge any adverse decisions by the ICC. Better for ECB and especially the bitter English press to move on.

11 hours ago, figo6762 said:

Agreed . Thank you for having an intelligent conversation rather than attacking my perspective .

So I will isolate monitor myself and go back to work when it is mandated safe. 

My biggest problem is , lack of accountability and transparency. The team and BCCI owes fans like us a honest explanation, not conveniently go to uae to play ipl in hopes that ppl will forget this …  

In reality BCCi is a private body and not answerable to anyone. That said they only react when avg fan reacts and bottom line is today to an avg fan IPL matters more than a test win. 

5 hours ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Every single report before the Test series had the revenues from the tour pegged at  20m pounds per test with the series worth 100m. Post 5th test cancellation, that number had gone upto 40m per test i.e. 200m for the entire series! 

if ECB is so much about commercial considerations and has sensible people in leadership, they'll count the money already made (50-60% more than they expected from the 5 tests) and will not be hell bent on destroying their relations with BCCI. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

I do believe BCCI has sufficient grounds to challenge any adverse decisions by the ICC. Better for ECB and especially the bitter English press to move on.

English press reporting numbers as high as 75 million pounds.  Its all a PR game at this point.  

As much as I detest the useless inept BCCI babus who don't do their job well, ECB are even more venal and money-hungry than the BCCI.  Their corruption is primarily responsible for holding back development of international cricket.  

52 minutes ago, sarchasm said:

Dude. You keep missing the point. Even the Pakistan series ended on July 20 and with an entirely different ENG squad fielded, India tests could have begun a week sooner than it did. India were twiddling their thumbs for a month in ENG because ECB thought the Hundred was worth it, worth rejecting BCCI's request, and worth pushing tests to the periphery of cricketing season. Don't try to cover that up with how the Indian series in 2018 and Ashes went.

IPL's schedule is more sacrosanct to BCCI and Indian fans that your precious ENG summer.

1. ECB were inflexible, stupidly so, in accommodating BCCI's request

2. Arrogant in pushing tests to the peripheral parts of the summer

3. Incompetent when it comes to Covid management

BCCI isn't going to suffer for any of that.

Every cricket board out there knows the value of Indian tour, and they always want to milk it to the maximum possible profitable extent.  Ignorant fans have not yet understood the board room games that go on, and some of them keep living in the past, not recognizing the value that Indian cricketers bring to the table, for the health of the sport in their own country.  The entitlement pomposity is just par for the course when it comes to the 'commonwealth' cricket team and its 'fans'.

6 minutes ago, Stumped said:

That figure came from an Australian outlet and was in AUD, wouldn't be like you to be spreading false information though would it :phehe:.

Could be, I just saw a headline.  I don't care enough about made up fake numbers to go and verify it.  But its interesting that you are quick to presume motives when presented with arguments that you disagree with.

9 minutes ago, Stumped said:

It's fairly easy to presume motives when someone makes a repetitive habit of posting false/misleading information.

Its fairly easy to throw out random personal attacks when you come up short in debate.  Feel free to presume away, it only makes an exhibit of your own intellect.

Fully expect you to turn tail and run away, as you normally do.

Edited by sandeep