Official: Virat Kohli to step down from captaincy after T20 WC

puneet28

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

BCCI must relieve him of ODI captaincy as well. 

Since thala is in bcci system , Most likely Thala effect/thinking @velu

I am happy that kohli has been given one last opportunity to redeem himself by winning a white ball trophy. Whatever the t20 wc result, i feel Kohli will not lead us for icc odi world cup

46 minutes ago, nevada said:

Though this is just a token gesture from Kohli with not much impact, something's better than nothing. Hopefully he quits captaining in the other 2 formats also in the near future. He would be doing a huge service to long suffering RCB fans by also quitting IPL captaincy after this season. 

They can hire even bigger star as "Mentor" and clip his wings in the franchise. They should hire Kumble and cut the clown down.

1 hour ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

This proves 2 things:

1) He is quite selfless and want to improve his batting.

2) He is not as powerful as previous captains like Dhoni/Ganguly. It took ages for BCCI to push Dhoni out from captaincy. Remember under Dhoni we lost 4 T20 WCs but he still remained as captained. Kohli getting pushed out even though he has not yet captained in any T20 world cups.

I will not be surprised if Kohli retires from all cricket after 2023 world cup. Dont see hi dragging his career like MSD or even Sachin did.

It proves nothing. Dhoni has two Worldcup under his belt. 

Kohli has been abject failure right from day 1.

I am just speculating here but I don’t see Kohli has any backing in BCCI circle or senior players. His captaincy career has been most disgusting and disappointing. It serves him perfectly right that he has been told most likely that he will be kicked out of white ball cricket unless he wins t20 wc.

From cricinfo 

Kohli's decision also comes close on the heels of the BCCI deciding to appoint Dhoni as the team's mentor for the forthcoming T20 World Cup. While Shah did not provide the exact reason why Dhoni was brought on board, ESPNcricinfo understands that the BCCI wanted to ensure two things: that he could help the leadership group in their planning, and more importantly also play a key role in selections for matches. While India have been highly successful in all three formats under Kohli, they are yet to win a global trophy during his reign

So basically dhoni was brought in to clip Kohli's selection wings and kohli saw the writing on the wall - this part is mine and not from the article

Edited by New guy
1 hour ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

The fact that no other RCB player got selected for T20 WC team....shows Kohli dont have much clout in the team selections.

MD Dhoni's Indian team used to be filled with CSK players.

Only in test cricket Kohli has full freedom.

But who in their right mind would pick RCB players? Outside their foreign contingent they are horrible

Chahal and Harshal Patel combo would have other teams licking their lips

6 minutes ago, New guy said:

From cricinfo 

Kohli's decision also comes close on the heels of the BCCI deciding to appoint Dhoni as the team's mentor for the forthcoming T20 World Cup. While Shah did not provide the exact reason why Dhoni was brought on board, ESPNcricinfo understands that the BCCI wanted to ensure two things: that he could help the leadership group in their planning, and more importantly also play a key role in selections for matches. While India have been highly successful in all three formats under Kohli, they are yet to win a global trophy during his reign

So basically dhoni was brought in to clip Kohli's selection wings and kohli saw the writing on the wall

Knowing Dhoni's allergy towards fast bowlers we might play 4 spinners alongwith Bhuvi 

1 minute ago, New guy said:

From cricinfo 

So basically dhoni was brought in to clip Kohli's selection wings and kohli saw the writing on the wall

As a skipper you are bound/forced to call it a day and he had to see the retirements of our ATGs and near ATGs. He may not have managed egos of ATGs well in some circumstances but him giving last hour to Dada to lead the side in last match or treatment to Tendulkar or other players have been top class. In hindsight, we can say that he could have managed vvs and Dravids retirement better but most likely he was doing it for team India. In contrast kohli has been absolute noob and has only given importance to his financial aspect. Others may disagree but thats how I see it and have made my mind for good.

2 minutes ago, New guy said:

From cricinfo 

So basically too many cooks that will spoil the broth. I am afraid too many powerhouses in the dressing room now:

Kohli - Captain

Shastri - Coach

Dhoni - Mentor

Rohit - Future captain

Its very tough for any captain to work under such environment.

Would Dhoni have liked if there were mentors like Dravid/Sachin breathing on his neck when we was captain?

Not sure whose idea was to appoint Dhoni as mentor but it may backfire bigtime in T20 world cup.

If we win Dhoni will be praised and people will sing pal do pal ka shaayar.

If we lose Kohli will be blamed..

Wah re :hysterical:

If BCCI was unhappy...they could have simply remove Kohli from captaincy post the world cup and appoint Rohit.

Now the team is in a bad state for T20 world cup with too many people want to show dadagiri when in reality it should only be captains team.

Just now, Austin 3:!6 said:

So basically too many cooks that will spoil the broth. I am afraid too many powerhouses in the dressing room now:

Kohli - Captain

Shastri - Coach

Dhoni - Mentor

Rohit - Future captain

Its very tough for any captain to work under such environment.

Would Dhoni have liked if there were mentors like Dravid/Sachin breathing on his neck when we was captain?

Not sure whose idea was to appoint Dhoni as mentor but it may backfire bigtime in T20 world cup.

If we win Dhoni will be praised and people will sing pal do pal ka shaayar.

If we lose Kohli will be blamed..

Wah re :hysterical:

If BCCI was unhappy...they could have simply remove Kohli from captaincy post the world cup and appoint Rohit.

Now the team is in a bad state for T20 world cup with too many people want to show dadagiri when in reality it should only be captains team.

Yeah its a very round about way to do things. Kohli was being sidelined, no captain will stand that

2 hours ago, New guy said:

Two points

1) We barely play t20s so no idea how his stepping down only from this format helps his batting. Should also step down from ODIs

2) if its only t20s i don't see any point in making an aged rohit sharma captain, he might not even be around till next t20 WC. Perfect time to have a young captain

This is factually not correct . Till Dec 2022, we have 24 T20s  scheduled as against 17 50 overs matches . 

9 minutes ago, New guy said:

From cricinfo 

So basically dhoni was brought in to clip Kohli's selection wings and kohli saw the writing on the wall - this part is mine and not from the article

How can a team be deemed highly successful when there is no trophy to show for it?

This isn't football when it is hard to win trophies given the number of competing teams. This is cricket which is a 3 team sport at best.