12 hours ago, bharathh said:

1950s - 12 angry men

1960s - Half ticket

1970s - Star wars IV: A new hope

1980s - Mouna Ragam

1990s - Michael Madan Kamarajan

2000s - 3 Idiots

2010s - Martian

Good to see 12 Angry Men, Half Ticket and Martian.

My favs , I don’t care what the elites think:

Non-Indian:

1930: City Lights (honorable mentions: Gone with the wind, Wizard of Oz)

1940: Casablanca (honorable mentions: Rebecca, Citizen Kane, and It’s a Wonderful life)

1950: Tough choice between On the waterfront or Benhur , will go with the former. (honorable mentions: High Noon, 12 Angry Men, Roman Holiday Vertigo and my favorite  guilty pleasure; some like it hot

1960 : Tie between To Kill a mocking bird and Psycho (Honorable mentions: My fair lady, sound of Music, Bonnie and Clyde, 2001, Butch Cassidy, And facking so many)

1970: The Godfather  (Honorable mentions: French Connection, One flew over the cuckoo’s nest)

1980 : Raiders of the last Ark (honorable mentions: Raging Bull, Platoon)

1990: The silence of the lambs or Good fellas. (Honorable mentions: Unforgiven, Schindler’s list, Shawshank Redemption) 

2000s : LOTR trilogy or The departed (Honorable mentions: There will be blood, Beautiful Mind, )

2010: Social Network or Get Out ( Honorable Mentions: Mad Max Fury Road, 12 years a slave, Dunkirk, Lincoln)

2020: Uncut Gems or 2017. So many others are super good on OTT now. Still exploring 

12 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Non-Indian:

1940: Casablanca (honorable mentions: Rebecca, Citizen Kane, and It’s a Wonderful life)

1950: Tough choice between On the waterfront or Benhur , will go with the former. (honorable mentions: High Noon, 12 Angry Men, Roman Holiday Vertigo and my favorite  guilty pleasure; some like it hot

1960 : Tie between To Kill a mocking bird and Psycho (Honorable mentions: My fair lady, sound of Music, Bonnie and Clyde, 2001, Butch Cassidy, And facking so many)

1970: The Godfather  (Honorable mentions: French Connection, One flew over the cuckoo’s nest)

1990: The silence of the lambs or Good fellas. (Honorable mentions: Unforgiven, Schindler’s list, Shawshank Redemption) 

2000s : LOTR trilogy or The departed (Honorable mentions: There will be blood, Beautiful Mind, )

2010: Social Network or Get Out ( Honorable Mentions: Mad Max Fury Road, 12 years a slave, Dunkirk, Lincoln)

2020: Uncut Gems or 2017. So many others are super good on OTT now. Still exploring 

Pick only one :orderorder:

16 minutes ago, zen said:
38 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

1930: City Lights

1940: Casablanca

1950: Tough choice between On the waterfront

1960 : Tie between To Kill a mocking bird

1970: The Godfather 

1980 : Raiders of the last Ark

1990: The silence of the lambs

2000s : LOTR trilogy

2010: Social Network

2020: 2017

Pick only one :orderorder:

Since you have a gun on my head...

Lot of you listed Citizen Kane.  I re-watched it. Found it to be too overrated. I think we are too much influenced by critics who list it as the best movie ever. Agreed the writing was good, cinematography was excellent, but was disappointed with the content which was not closer to heart. technically perfect, but you don’t feel for the characters, almost like a cult classic. Some like it immensely.

It didn’t do it for me emotionally like It’s a wonderful life or Meet John Doe. 

Gone is the era of acting in any case. Gary Cooper/James Stewart/Clark Gable were too good in acting as well as screen presence 

25 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Lot of you listed Citizen Kane.  I re-watched it. Found it to be too overrated. I think we are too much influenced by critics who list it as the best movie ever. Agreed the writing was good, cinematography was excellent, but was disappointed with the content which was not closer to heart. technically perfect, but you don’t feel for the characters, almost like a cult classic. Some like it immensely.

It didn’t do it for me emotionally like It’s a wonderful life or Meet John Doe. 

Gone is the era of acting in any case. Gary Cooper/James Stewart/Clark Gable were too good in acting as well as screen presence 

Unfortunately, no one has listed Citizen Kane on this thread ... It is a great film (and probably ahead of its time) that is likely to be on a best films list but not necessarily on a favorite films list as you need to be focused to watch such films.

A Pink Panther could connect more with many so could be on a favorite films list but unlikely to beat a Citizen Kane on a best films list. 

Edited by zen

On 9/28/2021 at 12:53 AM, coffee_rules said:

Non-Indian:

I don't think there are that many so-called film "elites" on ICF. @zen is the only one, and I consider him quite accepting of more "normal" films too. he has written quite a bit about so-called masal movies

On 9/18/2021 at 8:30 AM, zen said:

A favorite film from each decade thread. Since this is a favorite films thread, anything goes including guilty pleasures. You can mix Hollywood, Bollywood, and Foreign Language films, along with TV movies. 

A couple of rules:

• You should have watched the films in the last 2-3 years (to keep the list relatively current).
  • For a decade you list your favorite, you should have watched at least 5 films from that decade. For e.g., I do not recall watching 5 films from 1910s in the last 2-3 years, so would not list anything from it. 2020s would be an exception since it is the current decade. 

Of course, such lists are live documents therefore subject to change  ... What is your favorite film from each decade (2021 list)? 

From the top of the mind recall, my list of favorite film from each decade (excluding 007 and Hitchcock films):

• 1920s: Metropolis (1927) - Set the visual grammar for Sci-Fi films. Captures German expressionism and a Gothic environment well. 
  • 1930s: The Island of Lost Souls (1932) - Based on the book The Island of Dr. Moreau. There have been a few films on the horrors on the island but the 1932 version remains its best adaptation. 
  • 1940s: Black Narcissus (1947) - A story of challenges faced by a group of nuns at a remote location in the Himalayas. Excellent cinematography and atmosphere in the film. 
  • 1950s: Seven Samurai (1954) - A timeless classic. Impressive everytime. 
  • 1960s: Lawrence of Arabia (1962) - Technically, a brilliant film. 
  • 1970s: Sholay (1975) - A quotable curry western. 
  • 1980s: Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) - A trend setting action-adventure film. 
  • 1990s: Dances With Wolves (1990) - A unique western epic where the natives are depicted as good guys. Beautiful film with a pleasing score. 
  • 2000s: In the Mood for Love (2000) - A love story par excellence. Technically mesmerizing too. 
  • 2010s: Inception (2010) - A different concept where information can be stolen or planted in dreams. 
  • 2020s (so far): Zack Snyder's Justice League (2021) - A superhero epic. 

3 decades missing here. Some suggestions:

Arrival Of A Train At La Ciotat Station - 1890s

A Trip to the Moon  - 1900s

The Outlaw and His Wife (or Intolerance or Cabiria) - 1910s