Best Indian young batting prospect- Gill, Shaw, Ruturaj, Paddikal or Jaiswal?

Majestic

1 hour ago, Cricspin said:

Shaw, Ruturaj, Iyer, DDP for ODI and T20I

Gill for Tests.

Overall for all formats like 

Shaw, DDP and Iyer. 

I don't see how Gill fits Shorter formats for the next few years atleast. Not seen enough of Ruturaj yet.

Iyer seems mentally very stable but he lacks that polish in his batting technique. There are glaring weaknesses in his batting which will be easily exploited by International bowlers. He is not there at all.

Edited by mishra

1 hour ago, Mariyam said:

Does the Orange Cap not count for anything?

It definitely does, it explains that at this moment Ruturaj has developed a vetter understanding of his game particularly in t20is but that's about it. 

The others are way younger than him and three of them (Jaiswal, Shaw and Gill) are teenage prodigies. Two of them are already knocking on the team's door for test selection.

In the coming years they will definitely iron out their deficiencies and due to their way higher ceiling it will be very hard for Ruturaj to compete with any of them.

On 10/14/2021 at 11:08 AM, Majestic said:

Who is the best Indian batting prospect across all formats among the mentioned names-

Shubhman Gill

Prithvi Shaw

Ruturaj Gaekwad

Devdutt Paddikal

Yashasvi Jaiswal

Discuss!

All are phenomenal but if i have to pick in my team 

Gill = Prithvi shaw at the tops, and both are the best.

Yashaswi jaiswal is the youngest and is growing very fast so I will rank him at no 2.

ruturaj as no 3....i am not too Impressed with him.

paddikkal is a bit weak batsman....not my favourite.

Gill , Prithvi, and Yashaswi look really good. Prithvi cannot face bouncers very well so if i am forced to pick one amng prithvi or gill..may be 1 point , gill may go ahead.

On 10/14/2021 at 2:58 PM, express bowling said:

Venkatesh stands straight and plays fuller balls. There is no front press.

On quicker pitches or if the ball is swinging, he might edge the ball a bit too often and get caught behind.

Also Gavaskar did point out today he doesnt go much on bsckfoot so he ll be tested on short stuff in future.

Thats why im keen to see him next season, at this point he doesnt convince me. 

Sadly in IPl he ll mostly open but in indian team if he gets in role wud be 6-7 , so we have no idea about his pros n cons in that position. Its a completey diff ball game on those slots. 

Somehow many ICFers seem to not really appreciate and rate Gaikwad in short format (50 overs & 20 Overs).

When evaluating the younger bats (Gaikwad, Shaw,DDP, Samson, Jaiswal, Gill, Eshaan )  Feel

1. Game Maturity - He is most improved in last 2 season. Tops all others (Top 2 - Gaikwad & Gill)

2. Range of shots with Less risks-  Plays pacers pretty well both front foot as well back foot. Fine timer of the ball , Plays Pull well , timer of ball, among top  player of spin .in the listed lot , only Ishan may be equal but with more risky shots . (Top 2 -  Gaikwad , Gill & DDP ) 

3. Consistency - Has the game to be the top 2 consistent player among the list and right now looks the top among them - ( Gaikwad , Gill ).

4. Fielding - Again only DDP looks better than him in field. (Top 3- DDP, Gaikwad, Ishan)

5. Strike rate - Looks among top 3 with higher strike rate but when you combine consistency with strike rate , he is top draw among the list. Shaw , Samson , Ishhan may  strike at a better strike rate but way too inconsistent . Too many of such flashy players won't help in making of a formidable side. ( Top Strike rate -Shaw, Ishan, Gaikwad But higher strike rate with Consistency - Gaikwad tops)

6. Maintain Tempo past initial overs - Does not drop tempo past initial over part of innings .

7. Timer of ball  PLUS finding gaps  - Looks the best among the lot in this aspect.

8. Hitting over the top consistently in middle overs - Again looks among top 3 .

Thus overall at this moment he has no apparent weakness for short format game , No pre meditated shots , good vs spin  as well pace , fine timer with ability to find gaps and looks ready  compared to others  to be inducted while others seem to have some issues

- Gill has a limitation of strike rate and has not looked like playing big vs spinners so far though  has that ability to play spin well . Cannot be in T20 , Only for 50 overs .

-Samson - Poor against spinners .

- Ishan - Not yet convinced vs High Pace and inconsistent .

- Shaw -  Most teams can plot with change of pace and rising deliveries - Has best attacking ability but inconsistent .

- DDP  -  Issue with strike rate and needs more improvement is overall game .

- jaiswal - Needs a season or 2 

Get a feeling Ruturaj & Jaiswal would be 2 guys who will work harder than others and raise their game . Do not get that feeling with Shaw, Samson .

He should be the first guy among the lot to be part of team post T20WC  in shorter format among batters.

DO not go by some WOW strokes of others but check out strike rate with consistency to be a top notch member of a side.  Thats the potential of this man and he needs to be backed fully and all the way.