Build-up before NZ game - India's preparations/team selection thread

Just now, zen said:

Ideally, you would play a 11 for the first two games (based on whatever the team’s initial plan was) before making changes. 

However, I would go with the below:

KL

Kishan

SKY

Pant

SDP (Hardik)

Jadeja

Thakur 

Rohit/Kohli (floaters … momentum busters and stats padders)

Ashwin/Varun/Chahar/Bhuvi

Shami

Bumrah 

The XI selected should be based on conditions, form and your opposition being played.

Kohli and Hitman are both in the XI no matter what, Kohli wont make changes of dropping Hitman no matter what, especially after the exchange with the press, post game.

At best I think I see Ash for VC.

Even if Kishan does play, he wont open. Kohli is stubborn and wont admit he got the batting order wrong either.

35 minutes ago, SRT100 said:

@express bowling who wins?

If India bats first, I think we definitely lose and out of the World Cup. I see a very defensive mindset by our openers. The dew will further compound the score we set with our bowlers being ineffective.

If we bat 2nd, I like our chances of chasing.

My though process is on the same lines.

1 minute ago, Swag said:

What I don't get is the socrcery that Jadeja does :thinking:

Everyone complaining about Pandya and Bhuvi, he somehow always manage to escape scrutiny despite lacklustre performances & never being there when the team needs him most.

At least he bowled his quota of overs.....

23 minutes ago, Swag said:

What I don't get is the socrcery that Jadeja does :thinking:

Everyone complaining about Pandya and Bhuvi, he somehow always manage to escape scrutiny despite lacklustre performances & never being there when the team needs him most.

Jadeja sucked the momentum that Pant was attempting to generate 

Jadeja came in the 13th over and left in the 18th, scoring 13 off 13 in that period. 

I'd say Open with Sharma and Kishan and follow with Virat and KL Rahul. Bring  Pant or Surya at 5 and these top 5 should hopefully get you the top 16 overs while batting. 

Then follow up with Shardul and Jadeja for the last 3 to 4 overs. 

For bowling -  bumrah, Shami and Thakur with Ashwin, Varun C and Jadeja should do the trick. 

Edited by Try_Ball
1 hour ago, AKane said:

Prepare for the worst.

That means Kohli loses toss and we bat first. Need a score of 180-190 to defend with the dew. Just think of batting first no matter what and plan on bowling in the dew no matter what.

Correct.

India must pick a team assuming they will bat first, bowl second.

India's tactics when batting first must be to score a total well above par to have any chance. One of Hitman and KL ideally both, attack from Ball 1. A cautious start and we lose the game.

Make NO mistake. Kohli WONT open with Kishan.

Kohli is the type of fool to believe a score of around 150 is defendable while bowling second, which it isnt. Runs on the board is almost useless if we score around 150, sure there is probably a 10% chance of winning, but NZ will cruise to a win.

India need to aim for 180+ runs and adjust that total as wickets fall. A tuk tuk start to the innings means the game is over, if this happens, go to bed. India have lost. Even if India lose the toss, the game is not lost. The game will be lost though if KL and Hitman make a slow cautious start at 6-7 RR in the first 6 overs.

India need to create scoreboard pressure so our spinners come into action.

Also FFS Kohli also needs to strike hard when bowling. Bumrah/spinners must bowl the opening overs.

If India chase, i love our chances.

@express bowling your thoughts? Am I wrong here?

Edited by SRT100
13 hours ago, SRT100 said:

Correct.

India must pick a team assuming they will bat first, bowl second.

India's tactics when batting first must be to score a total well above par to have any chance. One of Hitman and KL ideally both, attack from Ball 1. A cautious start and we lose the game.

Make NO mistake. Kohli WONT open with Kishan.

Kohli is the type of fool to believe a score of around 150 is defendable while bowling second, which it isnt. Runs on the board is almost useless if we score around 150, sure there is probably a 10% chance of winning, but NZ will cruise to a win.

India need to aim for 180+ runs and adjust that total as wickets fall. A tuk tuk start to the innings means the game is over, if this happens, go to bed. India have lost. Even if India lose the toss, the game is not lost. The game will be lost though if KL and Hitman make a slow cautious start at 6-7 RR in the first 6 overs.

India need to create scoreboard pressure so our spinners come into action.

Also FFS Kohli also needs to strike hard when bowling. Bumrah/spinners must bowl the opening overs.

If India chase, i love our chances.

@express bowling your thoughts? Am I wrong here?

Agree regarding most points.

Additionally, I would like to add that our pacers must be encouraged to bowl attacking lines and lengths upfront, in an attempt to pick wickets. This becomes even more important if we bat first and score less than 170.

Bumrah must be given 2 overs upfront.