Electric vehicles in India

Trichromatic

On 3/29/2022 at 10:16 PM, Mariyam said:

With the AC switched on ( absolute necessity for the last few days) this car has very poor performance. Struggles to climb flyovers. I shudder to think what would happen if it were to be taken to Pune/Nashik/ (inter city drive) across the ghats. That btw, was the reason we were going for the new Thar. Also the EV version is substantially more expensive than the regular Tata Nexon. its barely been a month, but I've given up on this vehicle and have reverted back to my earlier vehicle.

@Mariyam On second thoughts, did you report this to Tata motors online or the service center ? I assume you experimented with modes and regen settings, did those not help ?

Its really shocking if a popular vehicle like the Nexon EV, the bestseller among all EVs in India by some margin, has such poor performance. The available power and torque figures are superior to the petrol model and those could be curtailed to enhance battery life based on modes, regen and other config. 

4 hours ago, Clarke said:

@Mariyam On second thoughts, did you report this to Tata motors online or the service center ? I assume you experimented with modes and regen settings, did those not help ?

Its really shocking if a popular vehicle like the Nexon EV, the bestseller among all EVs in India by some margin, has such poor performance. The available power and torque figures are superior to the petrol model and those could be curtailed to enhance battery life based on modes, regen and other config. 

I went to the service centre. They ran a whole host of customary checks and then their approach was to declare that everything is perfect with the car. Furthermore they told me that the car will grow on me and that I need some more practice to optimally utilise the vehicle. I've been driving from the day I turned 18. Actually a few days earlier :wink: . They could see that I was visibly :mad: so they gave my daughter a teddy bear.  :rolleyes:

Its only fair that I give them the benefit of doubt. So I decided to try the car for a few more weeks. If I still can't get my bearings right, I will raise a stink.

There is a learning curve and I understand it takes time. But it shouldn't take a month+. I'm not that stupid.

There are three modes: Eco, City and Sports mode.

Sports mode is supposed to be for the 'rough and tough' performances. The drives through the Ghats. The rugged terrain ventures. I end up using Sports for things as basic as navigating flyovers. Page 6 of their brochure says that flyovers/ and gradual slopes can be navigated on even the Eco mode. When I tried that my car shakes violently. 

I find no difference between the City and Eco mode in terms of performance. 

I am not sure this car gives you the option of configuring regen settings. That is automated. Are you sure these can be changed in the Nexon?

You are the third person to suggest this, but I haven't the foggiest.

IMHO, the sales staff is *not* well equipped to explain the features. Most of them had no idea what they were talking about, and to be fair neither did I. I doubt any of them test drove this car much longer than I have. All they kept saying is that it can reach 100kmph in 12s or something. I don't care much for that. However, I do need to cross the fly over at Kemp's corner.

If I am not mistaken Nexon EV is equipped with an AMT like transmission. Most people will find that hard to drive in a petrol car let alone an electric one producing probably lesser torque. Even I faced the issue when I switched from a manual transmission to an AMT car, but as written above, it will grow upon you after about 1000kms of driving.  

4 hours ago, Mariyam said:

I went to the service centre. They ran a whole host of customary checks and then their approach was to declare that everything is perfect with the car. Furthermore they told me that the car will grow on me and that I need some more practice to optimally utilise the vehicle. I've been driving from the day I turned 18. Actually a few days earlier :wink: . They could see that I was visibly :mad: so they gave my daughter a teddy bear.  :rolleyes:

Its only fair that I give them the benefit of doubt. So I decided to try the car for a few more weeks. If I still can't get my bearings right, I will raise a stink.

There is a learning curve and I understand it takes time. But it shouldn't take a month+. I'm not that stupid.

There are three modes: Eco, City and Sports mode.

Sports mode is supposed to be for the 'rough and tough' performances. The drives through the Ghats. The rugged terrain ventures. I end up using Sports for things as basic as navigating flyovers. Page 6 of their brochure says that flyovers/ and gradual slopes can be navigated on even the Eco mode. When I tried that my car shakes violently. 

I find no difference between the City and Eco mode in terms of performance. 

I am not sure this car gives you the option of configuring regen settings. That is automated. Are you sure these can be changed in the Nexon?

You are the third person to suggest this, but I haven't the foggiest.

IMHO, the sales staff is *not* well equipped to explain the features. Most of them had no idea what they were talking about, and to be fair neither did I. I doubt any of them test drove this car much longer than I have. All they kept saying is that it can reach 100kmph in 12s or something. I don't care much for that. However, I do need to cross the fly over at Kemp's corner.

Looks like the Nexon EV does not have configurable regen, although it is an option in EVs of next tier such as Hyundai Kona & MG ZS. Its probably adjusted within the modes. 

The experience you suggest has got nothing to do with "getting used to it", all cars should easily cover flyovers. I just looked up team bhp forum, someone's done a 1300 km trip from Chennai to Bhubaneswar in the same car including the hills. 

What I have typically done in the past is taken the OEM/neighborhood mechanic along and illustrate the problem while driving, if required they need to get behind the wheel to experience it on the flyover, especially with eco mode. 

Review the team bhp forum on this particular issue as well as how to pursue this matter with Tata motors. There's some really enthusiastic petrolheads (and currentheads) with sound advice for every step. If you create a thread there besides some noise with Tata motors, you should get the best help that's possible. 

https://www.cnbctv18.com/auto/ev-fire-battery-packs-coming-into-india-not-designed-for-indian-market-says-ather-energy-12995212.htm

If that is correct, kudos to Ather for their focus on engineering and shame on the sales and numbers oriented companies.

@Clarke

Turns out that there is an ascent ( and descent) assist feature that I was unaware of, and later not applying as I should. Now I've gotten to grips with the vehicle.

There is something you discover every 3-4 days. Frankly, I don't have the patience for such a protracted learning curve. I was harsh on the Nexon EV in my earlier posts. It isn't a bad car at all. Still isn't value for $. I'm a lot more comfortable driving it now than I was in March. That said, I still prefer my earlier vehicle, especially when I know I have a long/tough work day and don't have the bandwidth to deal with car issues on the go. 

Yes, I also stand by my earlier comments on the Tata Nexon EV sales team. Those guys are unaware about the feature themselves.

Edited by Mariyam

22 hours ago, Mariyam said:

@Clarke

Turns out that there is an ascent ( and descent) assist feature that I was unaware of, and later not applying as I should. Now I've gotten to grips with the vehicle.

There is something you discover every 3-4 days. Frankly, I don't have the patience for such a protracted learning curve. I was harsh on the Nexon EV in my earlier posts. It isn't a bad car at all. Still isn't value for $. I'm a lot more comfortable driving it now than I was in March. That said, I still prefer my earlier vehicle, especially when I know I have a long/tough work day and don't have the bandwidth to deal with car issues on the go. 

Yes, I also stand by my earlier comments on the Tata Nexon EV sales team. Those guys are unaware about the feature themselves.

Glad this feature was eventually figured out. I'm sure the EV doesn't perform as well as the ICE equivalents, and that's fine. This is a massive leap forward, one of the biggest since the birth of the automobile. The typical advice among enthusiasts is to wait for a couple of years before the major issues of a new gen for an existing model are addressed, and this one is a bigger leap than a brand new model.

But then without early adopters like u, how will further progress towards better EVs be made ? Do carry your green credentials & number plate with pride.

Sales is often just that, a team focused on numbers and commission and nothing else. Too bad normal people like you have to join the nerd bandwagon to figure things out. 

On 5/4/2022 at 10:48 PM, Clarke said:

Glad this feature was eventually figured out. I'm sure the EV doesn't perform as well as the ICE equivalents, and that's fine. This is a massive leap forward, one of the biggest since the birth of the automobile. The typical advice among enthusiasts is to wait for a couple of years before the major issues of a new gen for an existing model are addressed, and this one is a bigger leap than a brand new model.

But then without early adopters like u, how will further progress towards better EVs be made ? Do carry your green credentials & number plate with pride.

Sales is often just that, a team focused on numbers and commission and nothing else. Too bad normal people like you have to join the nerd bandwagon to figure things out. 

So the Thar is at the same price point as the Nexon EV. And you get a tax break on any EV. My reasons weren't wholly altruistic LOL.

Sad part is that the break is only on Individual and not Company or a partnership firm. :(( 

On 5/4/2022 at 6:00 AM, Prakat said:

what's this earlier car that we keep hearing so much about? 

My non EV, petrol vehicle!

12 hours ago, Mariyam said:

So the Thar is at the same price point as the Nexon EV. And you get a tax break on any EV. My reasons weren't wholly altruistic LOL.

Sad part is that the break is only on Individual and not Company or a partnership firm. :(( 

Aha, you wanted to write it off as a business expense :--D

What if you transfer the asset from individual to corp at your desired amount, maybe after a certain time period ? It might require that RTO jhamelas that an agent can handle but is it a loophole to exploit ?

Gormint policies are always weird, maybe they should have had an exception for small business and separate rule for large/fleet operators. The high GST on hybrids never made sense to me, it was and still is a bridge to cleaner transportation, especially PHEVs. 

Edited by Clarke

On 5/3/2022 at 7:47 PM, Mariyam said:

@Clarke

By the sound of it, Looks like EV vehicles of India has to somehow get right/replicate automatic gear box feature and you shouldnt be one dealing with it.

While people are gung ho on Tesla but one thing I would like to mention which I feel has been intentinally put in  Germans Cars like BMW and Merc  in their diesel and petrol models. For example being able to display lane, collision with next car or park assist, They have been testing these things without letting them take over. So, I have a feeling that by 2025, EVs by Germans will be very well accomplished ones

On 5/4/2022 at 12:17 AM, Mariyam said:

@Clarke

How is charging support outside city ? 

On 5/8/2022 at 10:00 AM, jf1gp_1 said:

How is charging support outside city ? 

Haven't ventured out yet. The farthest that I've been is a 7-8km distance. This has become my preferred mode of transport to go to my parents' place. Effective way to segue the conversations revolving around the constant burai of me to car woes.

We plan to go to Coco Shambhala sometime in June with the EV. I think its not a good idea, but we have looked up everything re:charging support and specialized mechanics.

The Mumbai Pune express way has charging points every 10/12 kms. After passing Pune the charging points are fewer, but there are mobile charging units which do the rounds and promise to reach you within the hour. As you near the Kolhapur/Karnataka part of the NH4, there are many charging points again.

The more scenic route, ie the old Mumbai Goa road has very limited support.

Edited by Mariyam

Concept car but proposed to have 500 km range with 30 min of charging & using Nickel Manganese Cobalt battery chemistry. A suggested 2025 Harrier sized SUV with such charging capability :drool: I would still wait for that tech to settle down and consider an upgrade 2-3 years after its launch if its proven to be reliable.

Edited by Clarke

https://www.timesnownews.com/mirror-now/in-focus/software-bug-causes-ola-scooter-to-go-in-reverse-mode-at-full-speed-rider-hospitalised-with-severe-injuries-article-91521159

https://www.news18.com/news/auto/ola-s1-electric-scooter-switches-into-reverse-mode-without-warning-goes-upto-102kmph-watch-4946792.html

What rotten design & engg team does this company have, reverse mode is not speed limited to ~5 kmph!

No wonder their execs keep jumping ship, who plans to fight a huge lawsuit & go to jail to defend a dangerous product. 

Edited by Clarke

On 5/6/2022 at 2:38 PM, mishra said:

By the sound of it, Looks like EV vehicles of India has to somehow get right/replicate automatic gear box feature and you shouldnt be one dealing with it.

While people are gung ho on Tesla but one thing I would like to mention which I feel has been intentinally put in  Germans Cars like BMW and Merc  in their diesel and petrol models. For example being able to display lane, collision with next car or park assist, They have been testing these things without letting them take over. So, I have a feeling that by 2025, EVs by Germans will be very well accomplished ones

Tesla isn't available in India. GoI has (or had) mandated that the EV's in India have to be made in India. And Elon Seth isn't warming up to that idea just yet.