Thank You P.M. Modi for withdrawing farm laws

Khota

7 minutes ago, kepler37b said:

I think 5 percent is overall over the year. But these days it is more than that by many times.

this guy seems to be peddling "khota" information and trying to pass it off as fact.  Could explain why he bristles and gets cranky when challenged.

1 hour ago, cowboysfan said:

he just realised you cant win elections anywhere by making enemies of farmers,every voter is pro farmer because they know who grows their food.

Wow, that's quite a disconnect u got. The concern for politicians wasn't that people's votes are swayed by farmer sentiment, it's the fact that farming & agri constitutes more than half of India's employment and the perception of pro billionaire (Ambani & Adani) & anti farmer/agri is a no no for that majority, irrespective of facts.

Edited by Clarke

28 minutes ago, Try_Ball said:

How much in a haste they were passed shouldn't be the deciding factor of their worth.

Of course it seems that the Country is not in unison over laws and it does seem that in the long run - the laws did have a better economic outcome. 

But if the govt is taking them back in order to win votes or come in majority again - then that's poor.

The bigger concern is how some laws/bills can create strong polarization within a country and people turning on each other based on religion/caste/affiliation.  If people cannot digest the fact that not every bill or legislation is not gonna win the popularity vote and will attack their own country over it - Boy,  that's a major issue over any random bills or laws tbh.  

This has nothing to do with any of that. Farming all over the world is highly regulated and subsidized. Farmers were singled out for inefficiencies whereas the govt. is looking the other way where countless govt. Employees and public sector workers collect salaries and pension for producing nothing. Farmers work more in a day than these lensionjeevis in a month. So this selective outrage does not get the mileage.

13 minutes ago, kepler37b said:

I think 5 percent is overall over the year. But these days it is more than that by many times.

20 minutes ago, sandeep said:

I looked for it, didn't see it.  Provide sources if you can.

I am always willing to be corrected by facts.  Not by nonsense though.  

Btw, Farmers <> landowning exploiters of farm laborers.   

So there is this recent statement in supreme court which goes as low as 4%

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/story/supreme-court-data-stubble-burning-delhi-air-pollution-1877017-2021-11-15

It was 35-45% just two weeks back and in the previous years as well

https://www.livemint.com/news/india/delhi-stubble-burning-contributed-to-36-of-pollution-today-relief-expected-by-tomorrow-11636187863520.html

So it's all about which side one supports. 

1 minute ago, Clarke said:

So there is this recent statement in supreme court which goes as low as 4%

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/story/supreme-court-data-stubble-burning-delhi-air-pollution-1877017-2021-11-15

It was 35-45% just two weeks back and in the previous years as well

https://www.livemint.com/news/india/delhi-stubble-burning-contributed-to-36-of-pollution-today-relief-expected-by-tomorrow-11636187863520.html

So it's all about which side one supports. 

Neither of those links provide actual data - 'journalists' do a consistently terrible job of summarizing or interpreting scientific studies.  Whole lot of ignorance, cherry-picking happens.  

Need better data to really understand the question.  I understand that its a complex problem, with different types of pollution - particulate etc.  

I am ready to keep an open mind and discuss it.  Problem is, most discussion seems to be more about dueling opinions instead of actual facts of the issue.  

Then I lose patience with it.

27 minutes ago, sandeep said:

I looked for it, didn't see it.  Provide sources if you can.

I am always willing to be corrected by facts.  Not by nonsense though.  

Btw, Farmers <> landowning exploiters of farm laborers.   

This is what you are resorting to. No wonder there is a disconnect

Indeed there are two India's.

3 minutes ago, Khota said:

This has nothing to do with any of that. Farming all over the world is highly regulated and subsidized. Farmers were singled out for inefficiencies whereas the govt. is looking the other way where countless govt. Employees and public sector workers collect salaries and pension for producing nothing. Farmers work more in a day than these lensionjeevis in a month. So this selective outrage does not get the mileage.

You're quite wrong.   If you are equating "Farmers" /Day laborers with Land Owners you are totally off the grid.  They are not the same.  Laborers in any field - construction/ health/ farming / trades do get meagre wages in any part of the world. Land Owner's abuse the system and this protest isn't about the daily wagers or the "farmers" but more about control

Public sector produces nothing ?    - Dude , I don't think I'll be able to make any sense to you if this is where you're coming from.  

40 minutes ago, Khota said:

See the post I have above. It is 5 % only. Get a fricking life. Once again an attempt to demonize farmers.

I live in Delhi. That duration which exactly coincides with stubble burning duration, the kind of pollution there is, one would wish not to be alive in this world and rather be dead if such pollution were to continue for longer duration(if I talking about peak pollution period of 15 days)..

Just now, Try_Ball said:

You're quite wrong.   If you are equating "Farmers" /Day laborers with Land Owners you are totally off the grid.  They are not the same.  Laborers in any field - construction/ health/ farming / trades do get meagre wages in any part of the world. Land Owner's abuse the system and this protest isn't about the daily wagers or the "farmers" but more about control

Public sector produces nothing ?    - Dude , I don't think I'll be able to make any sense to you if this is where you're coming from.  

If you think public sector is doing something you are living in an alternate India. Huge disconnect

Just now, randomGuy said:

I live in Delhi. That duration which exactly coincides with stubble burning duration, the kind of pollution there is, one would wish not to be alive in this world and rather be dead if such pollution were to continue for longer duration(if I talking about peak pollution period of 15 days)..

Born and raised in Delhi too. It is the fricking  cars that are doing it.

4 minutes ago, Khota said:

If you think public sector is doing something you are living in an alternate India. Huge disconnect

I don't live in India at all actually. 

but a country of the size and population of India cannot operate without the public system doing "nothing" would be a fair understanding.  So if you are so focused on the mindset of Public System doing nothing and Farmer's being "victims" here - then you are viewing this not based on economics or long term efficacy but more on your personal likes/dislikes at this point 

Edited by Try_Ball

3 minutes ago, Try_Ball said:

I don't live in India at all actually. 

but a country of the size and population of India cannot operate without the public system doing "nothing" would be a fair understanding.  So if you are so focused on the mindset of Public System doing nothing and Farmer's being "victims" here - then you are viewing this not based on economics or long term efficacy but more on your personal likes/dislikes at this point 

That is true for you not me. I have seen the working of public sector first hand. I have a fairly good idea.

1 minute ago, Khota said:

That is true for you not me. I have seen the working of public sector first hand. I have a fairly good idea.

Could be infefficient but that doesnt equate to "doing nothing" .  No country in the world would survive with a public sector doing nothing. 

And people would be happy to chime in to express their opinion on it , I am sure other's may or may not feel the same way .