Will Dravid reinstate trundler culture in India

Dery

Will Dravid reinstate trundler culture   

23 members have voted

1. 1. Will Dravid reinstate trundler culture

• Yes he will
    • No

17 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Porel, Nagaswala and Warrier have blocked important spots in A teams. I will be very surprised if they become sub-26 averaging pacers in any format.

The biggest impediment to building s top fsst bowling attack are trundlers who perform in domestics and fail later on.

It's been a constant effort by bcci and current Indian players to make it seem as if domestic cricket is of high standards and performing well requires a lot of ability and talent, hence bcci gives with the flow of looking at numbers not credidentials, the domestic structure now is better organised, easier transition for younger players to settle in and gradually the quality has improved due to better pitches but domestic sides still pick quantity over quality, at the under age and u23 setup pitches tend to be bowling friendly which enables average Medium pacers like koushik, darshan, Prateek Jain to make way into first class cricket, basically the ratio of international standard fast bowlers in domestic cricket is 5-1, 1 international quality domestic pacer to 5 domestic journeymen bowlers. It's criminal how Sushant Mishra is still not anywhere near the Jharkhand 1st team.

When I first saw the news that India is playing Harshal in Siraj's place, and Avesh still riding the bench, I was pissed.

But after seeing the first few overs of the match - I think Dravid is actually protecting Avesh from bowling in a game like this, with a wet ball like this.

Even Siraj was abused so much when he first made his white ball debut and went for a few.   

26 minutes ago, sandeep said:

When I first saw the news that India is playing Harshal in Siraj's place, and Avesh still riding the bench, I was pissed.

But after seeing the first few overs of the match - I think Dravid is actually protecting Avesh from bowling in a game like this, with a wet ball like this.

Even Siraj was abused so much when he first made his white ball debut and went for a few.   

how much can you protect? its best to test in such low key series

5 minutes ago, Lord said:

how much can you protect? its best to test in such low key series

maybe.  

Me personally, I would not want debutants to be evaluated in 'unfair' conditions.  Especially not on their primary skill.  

Cricketers are under so much public scrutiny, even a good bowler like Siraj was essentially written off for years off the back of a couple of white ball games where he went for a few.  

Point is, if a cricketer is good enough to be a prospect for the national team - its the team's job to get the best out of him.  I don't think having venky bowl in this type of game is anything but counterproductive.  I mean, if he had already put in a good performance in India colors, say a nice innings of 30-40, then maybe.  

Mindset is a big part of the game, and debutants have an uphill challenge already.  

But that's one way to look at it.

Another way to do it is to throw them into the deep end and see what they can do.  But  that is again, for their primary skill, not for what they on a part-time basis.

1 minute ago, sandeep said:

maybe.  

Me personally, I would not want debutants to be evaluated in 'unfair' conditions.  Especially not on their primary skill.  

Cricketers are under so much public scrutiny, even a good bowler like Siraj was essentially written off for years off the back of a couple of white ball games where he went for a few.  

Point is, if a cricketer is good enough to be a prospect for the national team - its the team's job to get the best out of him.  I don't think having venky bowl in this type of game is anything but counterproductive.  I mean, if he had already put in a good performance in India colors, say a nice innings of 30-40, then maybe.  

Mindset is a big part of the game, and debutants have an uphill challenge already.  

But that's one way to look at it.

Another way to do it is to throw them into the deep end and see what they can do.  But  that is again, for their primary skill, not for what they on a part-time basis.

Was talking about Avesh,not Venky,so primary skill only.

Venky should be tested in batting yes

Dravid was a great batsman and a fairly good captain (especially in tactics). However, with these pros being said, one of his biggest issues was never going in fully for the kill (e.g., the 2007 tour of Eng which we should have won 2-0). Now, I am beginning to see more of this defensiveness in the selection of all-trundler attack. When we tour Oz next time, expect to see this "great" test attack: Bhuvi, D. Chahar, Harshal, Unadcutter, and Jaddu. 4 trundlers and a defensive spinner. In a place like Oz, one should really play Bumrah, Shami, Siraj, Umran/Prasidh, and Ashwin.

Edited by Vijy
15 hours ago, Vijy said:

Dravid was a great batsman and a fairly good captain (especially in tactics). However, with these pros being said, one of his biggest issues was never going in fully for the kill (e.g., the 2007 tour of Eng which we should have won 2-0). Now, I am beginning to see more of this defensiveness in the selection of all-trundler attack. When we tour Oz next time, expect to see this "great" test attack: Bhuvi, D. Chahar, Harshal, Unadcutter, and Jaddu. 4 trundlers and a defensive spinner. In a place like Oz, one should really play Bumrah, Shami, Siraj, Umran/Prasidh, and Ashwin.

Ganguly started that trend. Not going for the kill. People did criticize him for being defensive after first test wins overseas.

17 hours ago, Vijy said:

Wasnt Dravid an attacking captain during his time?

Except the not going for the win in Eng?

The funny thing is if Umran, Avesh etc. Are not tried in this useless T20 series, they will forever be written off.

Players like Umran and Avesh are on their prime, if you don't use them now, they will get injured and become like Munaf Patel.

There's that risk. Can't believe we never support raw talent even in useless tourneys. 

David is pathetic coach so far. This is why we need cunning players like Ponting etc. As coach Who will take risks and give chances to aggressive bowlers.

We saw the main reason we lost to Pak was not because of Shaheen but because of Haris Rauf and his varying of pace. Even Kohli, Pant etc. Couldn't play him.

Can't believe idiots in TM don't learn from that still.