South Africa A vs India A : Nov/Dec 2021 (3 Un official test at Bloemfontein)

Negi95

3 minutes ago, Lord said:

exactly the problem Pujara has developed lately

I agree Pujara has lot of issues but can we trust Gill against seam and swing. Gill has too loose technique for me for number 3. Pujara might not score but can he hold one end is the decision TM has to make.Shreyas was at sea even in Kanpur against little swing Southee was generating.So Kohli with his suspect form and openers who can be sitting ducks against seam movement.Batting lineup will not have even one guy who can hold one end if Pujara is not there.

Proteas are going to give all green mambas.

2 minutes ago, putrevus said:

I agree Pujara has lot of issues but can we trust Gill against seam and swing. Gill has too loose technique for me for number 3. Pujara might not score but can he hold one end is the decision TM has to make.Shreyas was at sea even in Kanpur against little swing Southee was generating.So Kohli with his suspect form and openers who can be sitting ducks against seam movement.Batting lineup will not have even one guy who can hold one end if Pujara is not there.

Proteas are going to give all green mambas.

Even more important to keep scoreboard.Eventually one will be too good for you.

Need someone who can rotate strike and punish loose balls

3 minutes ago, Lord said:

They need to score but to do that you need to keep good balls away. If you have all batsmen with iffy technique in the lineup then you are inviting disaster IMO. Can Pujara hold one end with his problems is what TM should base their decision on him playing first test.

This is not t20 you still need to playout important spells while not scoring lot of runs.

10 minutes ago, putrevus said:

They need to score but to do that you need to keep good balls away. If you have all batsmen with iffy technique in the lineup then you are inviting disaster IMO. Can Pujara hold one end with his problems is what TM should base their decision on him playing first test.

This is not t20 you still need to playout important spells while not scoring lot of runs.

Pujara held an end and played a lot of balls in WTC final too. It was useless,score went nowhere and bowlers got on top. All pressure of scoring goes to other guy.

In England series,he got relatively big scores only in 2nd innings when swing lessened.

Playing out 1-2 spells is okay,Batting like that all the time will be problem.

35 minutes ago, Adamant said:

Just hoping that TM doesn't select Vihari in playing eleven for the first test,  his shot making ability is as good as current version of Pujara. Can't play the survival game for too long in international arena. 

Abhimanyu Eashwaran or Sarfaraz Khan should be selected in  the Squad. 

No logic behind using Deepak Chahar when we already have Shardul. 

Vihari will be there in squad believe it or not.  Fans were already up in arms when he was excluded from test series vs NZ.  He was rushed SA last minute.  He had a horrible county season. 

Selectors also don't see much upside in him over Iyer Gill or Easwaran but they will cave in to the pressure.  I just hope he doesn't gets into playing XI. 

6 minutes ago, Lord said:

Pujara held an end and played a lot of balls in WTC final too. It was useless,score went nowhere and bowlers got on top. All pressure of scoring goes to other guy.

In England series,he got relatively big scores only in 2nd innings when swing lessened.

Playing out 1-2 spells is okay,Batting like that all the time will be problem.

See in WTC other batsmen did not score. Pujara only works if other batsmen around him score.If Pujara does not play, then I would not take him to SA at all.Drop both him and Rahane no point in carrying them if they cannot play.

But 3,4 and 5 have been big liability for this team. It is even a miracle that this team has won and still is ranked number 1.

16 hours ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

A tours are not just about grooming young talent, it's also about rewarding Ranji performers. Saurabh Kumar has taken loads of wickets and deserves his chance in A cricket. Now that he's had a taste of a higher level of cricket, it's upto him now to improve further. if he can't, he will get consigned to Ranji and not get picked for A side again.

Gowtham was always a poor pick.

If going by ranji numbers india's attack would have been Mithun, Vinay Kumar, dhawal Kulkarni and ishwar Pandey, Saurabh Kumar is not even on shabaaz nadeems level in terms of ability, Aditya sarvate has insane numbers but again he is not international class.

41 minutes ago, Mesky99 said:

If going by ranji numbers india's attack would have been Mithun, Vinay Kumar, dhawal Kulkarni and ishwar Pandey, Saurabh Kumar is not even on shabaaz nadeems level in terms of ability, Aditya sarvate has insane numbers but again he is not international class.

We have one trundler reward quota. 

4 hours ago, Mesky99 said:

I can't help with your comprehension issues. Nor do I pass judgements on untried players without looking at how they perform at a level higher than Ranji trophy.

18 minutes ago, express bowling said:

For 90% players, selectors generally know which players are National Team prospects and which ones are just Ranji level heroes. 

For the 10% borderline cases, I don't mind them being tried out on A-tours.

That's where bias creeps in and denies good performers a shot at national glory. While stats alone cannot be basis for someone's selection, the numbers cannot entirely be discarded either and that's where a selector or talent scout's ability to spot the ones who need to be backed comes to the fore.

3 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

That's where bias creeps in and denies good performers a shot at national glory. While stats alone cannot be basis for someone's selection, the numbers cannot entirely be discarded either and that's where a selector or talent scout's ability to spot the ones who need to be backed comes to the fore.

And that's the job of talent scouts that relay the information further. In current setup, we don't have designated scouts because domestic structure is huge. Instead that responsibility now has been given to umpires and referees. They report to BCCI as scouts as well.

15 hours ago, Lord said:

Agreed..In the hindsight, a in-form Rahane would've been better than Pujara here..

But if they want to play Vihari, it should be at the cost of Pujara..

I dont think Iyer is good against fast bowling, he'll fail, but he will get his chance at no 5.

I hope they play Rahul, Rohit, Gill, Kohli, Iyer, Pant..This is decent batting lineup.. I'd have replaced Iyer with IShan but it wont happen as we need to allow Iyer to fail before we make that decision

8 hours ago, Mesky99 said:

But these were given chance in the team and failed to perform....But do you know that the current top performers like Shami, Siraj , Bhuvi, even bhumrah all are top Ranji performers and came through India A? 

4 hours ago, urbestfriend said:

But these were given chance in the team and failed to perform....But do you know that the current top performers like Shami, Siraj , Bhuvi, even bhumrah all are top Ranji performers and came through India A? 

Shami never a top ranji performer, neither was bumrah, he had like 90 wickets in 27 first class matches before his debut, his state mates like kalaria, gaja have better first class numbers, someone like basant mohanty averages 20 with nearly 400 first class wickets. Umesh, Varun, ishant, sreesanth, rp Singh,munaf were all picked on potential except siraj.

5 minutes ago, Mesky99 said:

Shami never a top ranji performer, neither was bumrah, he had like 90 wickets in 27 first class matches before his debut, his state mates like kalaria, gaja have better first class numbers, someone like basant mohanty averages 20 with nearly 400 first class wickets. Umesh, Varun, ishant, sreesanth, rp Singh,munaf were all picked on potential except siraj.

Bumrah averaged 25 in ranji. That's good for a fast bowler in Indian conditions. Very good. Shami I agree was 26.5 something. Still good. 

Zak averaged like 30 in ranji. 

Yadav 28.9

Siraj is 24

Mumaf was actually one of th better ones along with siraj. 24.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Bumrah averaged 25 in ranji. That's good for a fast bowler in Indian conditions. Very good. Shami I agree was 26.5 something. Still good. 

Zak averaged like 30 in ranji. 

Yadav 28.9

Siraj is 24

Mumaf was actually one of th better ones along with siraj. 24.

It is not just about average, but both shami and Bumrah excelled in one season, also duleep trophy. Remember SHami taking10+ wicket in a match  in one of the ranji match and he was fast tracked. Same for siraj who was top performer in a season..Same goes for saurabh kumar also who had taken bucket load of wickets last season.. There should be some objectivity in selection for India A, cant just be subjective opinion of who is talented etc. Here they have given opportunity for Umran Malik for his speed but not all can be based on that , otherwise there is no incentive left for Ranji and only IPL becomes the talent scout which is difficult to get through for many reasons as there are hardly any vacancies for uncapped players.