Best films list from the recently watched ones (2021 list)

zen

Coming back to the topic, Godfather is slated to hit the cinemas for its 50th anniversary in 2022 in a newly restored transfer! 

"All that will change next year, as Coppola has announced that a new 4K restoration of "The Godfather" is bound for theaters in 2022. This news (via Collider) comes out of the Paramount Pictures panel at Brazil's Comic Con Experience, otherwise known as CCXP. Right now, it's not quite clear if the theatrical release of "The Godfather" will only be a limited engagement in a few select cities, or if Paramount will be doing a larger rollout, though I'd wager the former is probably more likely."

Link

On 12/7/2021 at 7:12 PM, zen said:

Coming back to the topic, Godfather is slated to hit the cinemas for its 50th anniversary in 2022 in a newly restored transfer! 

"All that will change next year, as Coppola has announced that a new 4K restoration of "The Godfather" is bound for theaters in 2022. This news (via Collider) comes out of the Paramount Pictures panel at Brazil's Comic Con Experience, otherwise known as CCXP. Right now, it's not quite clear if the theatrical release of "The Godfather" will only be a limited engagement in a few select cities, or if Paramount will be doing a larger rollout, though I'd wager the former is probably more likely."

Link

although I am all for it, I feel the 4K restorations add more zing to movies with a "larger" canvas such as Apocalypse Now, Gone with the Wind, etc.

14 hours ago, Vijy said:

although I am all for it, I feel the 4K restorations add more zing to movies with a "larger" canvas such as Apocalypse Now, Gone with the Wind, etc.

Films like Godfather can benefit with a) increased resolution (current transfer lacks desired details), b) HDR -> The film has many indoor shots in a relatively dark environment and it also relies on lighting to set the mood (see Darkest Hour clip below which is not in HDR, but his film in 4k HDR looks fantastic.) On the current transfer, there is black crush too iirc, c) Black levels - can improve contrast further, d) WCG - need to see if new shades can be seen esp. in the red/orange spectrum. However, would not mind a "bleach bypass process" look for this one as well ... The last Blu-ray transfer was done around 2008 iirc so the film's transfer could benefit from the latest technology (scanners for e.g.) as well!

Darkest Hour:

Edited by zen

13 hours ago, zen said:

Films like Godfather can benefit with a) increased resolution (current transfer lacks desired details), b) HDR -> The film has many indoor shots in a relatively dark environment and it also relies on lighting to set the mood (see Darkest Hour clip below which is not in HDR, but his film in 4k HDR looks fantastic.) On the current transfer, there is black crush too iirc, c) Black levels - can improve contrast further, d) WCG - need to see if new shades can be seen esp. in the red/orange spectrum. However, would not mind a "bleach bypass process" look for this one as well ... The last Blu-ray transfer was done around 2008 iirc so the film's transfer could benefit from the latest technology (scanners for e.g.) as well!

Darkest Hour:

yeah, that's true. the film will improve undoubtedly in 4K, but I still feel the most dramatic changes are visible for old Hollywood movies with outdoor scenes and larger canvas.

30 minutes ago, zen said:

Talking about Red Shoes, its art design:

a true masterpiece. Big fan of Moira Shearer - I always thought she was more beautiful than most actresses in Hollywood/world. being a ballet dancer, she also had a killer physique of course.

Obviously the ATG directing team of Powell and Pressburger does not need anything more to be said.

10 hours ago, Vijy said:

looking good, albeit expensive.

It is a collector's set. The 3 films would be like $75-100 (regular set) at release, add to that the hardcover exclusive book, the paintings, and of course the overall packaging. For collectors and/or diehard fans, it is not bad. In fact, if it is limited edition, it could get sold out (and even sell for much more on eBay) 

1 hour ago, zen said:

It is a collector's set. The 3 films would be like $75-100 (regular set) at release, add to that the hardcover exclusive book, the paintings, and of course the overall packaging. For collectors and/or diehard fans, it is not bad. In fact, if it is limited edition, it could get sold out (and even sell for much more on eBay) 

true, the cost is reasonable. I could go for it, but I think I will hold off for a bit. let me know your impressions if/when you get it

5 minutes ago, Vijy said:

true, the cost is reasonable. I could go for it, but I think I will hold off for a bit. let me know your impressions if/when you get it

At this point, I am not sure if I would be getting it (maybe the regular set) as I am not too much into The Godfather. But you never know at the last minute ...

26 minutes ago, zen said:

By looking at the trailer, it appears as if the films looks at its best (the real transfer would have HDR too): 

Tempting!! 

indeed. cost is not excessive, but still  high enough such that it is worth contemplating before buying.

20 minutes ago, Vijy said:

indeed. cost is not excessive, but still  high enough such that it is worth contemplating before buying.

I don’t mind buying it esp. the collector’s edition now as the quality appears to be good but I do not have too much place left (I have given away many dvds and blu rays as well), therefore for discs now I go with films with a repeat value for me. Godfather is more like watch once in say 3-4 (if not more) years film for me. And there is the digital option as well which may be a little low in quality but convenient. I am thinking b/w digital (convenience) and disc (esp. for audio as it has a great score) :hmmm: 

Edited by zen