Best films list from the recently watched ones (2021 list)

zen

Finished the GF trilogy in the new transfers … In the set, GF3 CODA has its own disc, while GF3 theatrical and Director’s Cut are on one disc (haven’t checked those yet but supposed to be on one disc).

Since CODA is now being promoted as the 3rd instalment by Coppola, I focused on it. It has the GF touches and serves as a nice epilogue to the series. 

Edited by zen

1 hour ago, zen said:

Among films released in 2020s so far, Dune (2021) is worth a mention as it feels like a film that is ahead of its time!

it's good as a movie, so-so as an adaptation. I also think the pacing was off, although the visuals and music are fantastic.

7 hours ago, Vijy said:

it's good as a movie, so-so as an adaptation. I also think the pacing was off, although the visuals and music are fantastic.

Visually stunning ... It captures elements of some of my favorite films:

• Desert: After Lawrence of Arabia, the desert looks like a character again, captured beautifully (though has lots of CGI as well). 
  • Drama: Like Ran, the action only happens when required. A sense of action is built up through drama (there is no unnecessary comedy thrown in). While Ran was a standalone film, this one will be followed by part 2 or even 3. 
  • Design: The Gothic qualities in set pieces and the ancient-future theme as a bit of Metropolis 

The acting is done sophisticatedly in an understated manner as well (many times using the eyes to convey feeling). Could be a film that is ahead of its time. A modern masterpiece and probably the relatively different type of film that I had been waiting for some time!

47 minutes ago, zen said:

Visually stunning ... It captures elements of some of my favorite films:

• Desert: After Lawrence of Arabia, the desert looks like a character again, captured beautifully (though has lots of CGI as well). 
  • Drama: Like Ran, the action only happens when required. A sense of action is built up through drama (there is no unnecessary comedy thrown in). While Ran was a standalone film, this one will be followed by part 2 or even 3. 
  • Design: The Gothic qualities in set pieces and the ancient-future theme as a bit of Metropolis 

The acting is done sophisticatedly in an understated manner as well (many times using the eyes to convey feeling). Could be a film that is ahead of its time. A modern masterpiece and probably the relatively different type of film that I had been waiting for some time!

In modern sci-fi, my fav is Arrival (also by Villenueve). Both Blade Runner 2049 and Dune are visually/sonically remarkable, but there is something "extra" for Arrival that is not present in these 2 films (obviously a subjective take)

23 hours ago, Vijy said:

In modern sci-fi, my fav is Arrival (also by Villenueve). Both Blade Runner 2049 and Dune are visually/sonically remarkable, but there is something "extra" for Arrival that is not present in these 2 films (obviously a subjective take)

Dune is considered one of the tough books to bring to screen. Probably one of the reasons not many have attempted to do that. One only has to look at the 1984 version which is hilarious to say the least. To come up with such a superior version, focusing on a dark theme, is commendable. Waiting for part 2!

24 minutes ago, zen said:

Dune is considered one of the tough books to bring to screen. Probably one of the reasons not many have attempted to do that. One only has to look at the 1984 version which is hilarious to say the least. To come up with such a superior version, focusing on a dark theme, is commendable. Waiting for part 2!

part 2 will probably be better than part 1. the latter did not finish on a coherent note, and many of the arcs are left incomplete, which feels unsatisfying narratively. "Dune" is very hard to adapt - the '84 version was very uneven; it got some tonal aspects right, but the rest was a mess.

IMO, best medium for adapting "Dune" is a high-budget high-quality animation series - that is where the sense of scale and surrealism that characterise this book and this series could come to the forefront.

40 minutes ago, Vijy said:

part 2 will probably be better than part 1. the latter did not finish on a coherent note, and many of the arcs are left incomplete, which feels unsatisfying narratively. "Dune" is very hard to adapt - the '84 version was very uneven; it got some tonal aspects right, but the rest was a mess.

IMO, best medium for adapting "Dune" is a high-budget high-quality animation series - that is where the sense of scale and surrealism that characterise this book and this series could come to the forefront.

Dune is designed as a 2 part film (or maybe 3, I am not sure) so part 1 ends with   Paul joining the rebels, with some of his visions realizing. It has villains back in control while the good guys meet up at the end of it. The duel at the end was also done nicely without going overboard (almost Kurosawa’s Ran like). What I liked about part 1 was its focus on drama with action only used when required, a dark tone, sophisticated acting, etc. 

I hope this theme carries over in part 2, which could be relatively more action  focused. I like this film because it is different from a Star Wars or a generic superhero film.

I am judging it primarily as a film, not necessarily how it translates the book, which like you said can be represented even through animation or even a TV series.

23 minutes ago, zen said:

Dune is designed as a 2 part film (or maybe 3, I am not sure) so part 1 ends with   Paul joining the rebels, with some of his visions realizing. It has villains back in control while the good guys meet up at the end of it. The duel at the end was also done nicely without going overboard (almost Kurosawa’s Ran like). What I liked about part 1 was its focus on drama with action only used when required, a dark tone, sophisticated acting, etc. 

I hope this theme carries over in part 2, which could be relatively more action  focused. I like this film because it is different from a Star Wars or a generic superhero film.

I am judging it primarily as a film, not necessarily how it translates the book, which like you said can be represented even through animation or even a TV series.

It is 2 parts from what I gather. I think part 2 will be more fulfilling as a film than part 1. let's see how this prediction goes

2 hours ago, Vijy said:

It is 2 parts from what I gather. I think part 2 will be more fulfilling as a film than part 1. let's see how this prediction goes

I hv no major issues with part 1 so if part 2 is better, it will like the cherry on the cake!

Just now, zen said:

I hv no major issues with part 1 so if part 2 is better, it will like the cherry on the cake!

if part 2 turns out to be as good as I expect, the full experience of watching both parts together (as one grand movie) will be truly memorable

First half of Dune was painful. Second half was interesting. Somehow never understood the point of using swords in such a futuristic setting. Somehow the use of such medieval weapons when they are so technologically advanced made no sense to me. Looked like they were trying to force fit medieval warfare at a time when ppl had personal shields, could travel the universe etc.

Also couldn't figure out the giant worm thingies. They appear and disappear at will - like the Eagles in LOTR.

3 hours ago, bharathh said:

First half of Dune was painful. Second half was interesting. Somehow never understood the point of using swords in such a futuristic setting. Somehow the use of such medieval weapons when they are so technologically advanced made no sense to me. Looked like they were trying to force fit medieval warfare at a time when ppl had personal shields, could travel the universe etc.

Also couldn't figure out the giant worm thingies. They appear and disappear at will - like the Eagles in LOTR.

dune is a confusing book, and adapting it is extremely hard. villenueve did an excellent job, but I did expect even more from him

10 hours ago, bharathh said:

Somehow never understood the point of using swords in such a futuristic setting.

It is the fusion of ancient & modern (the ancient modern), also found in books such as “The Time Machine” 

Other films that successful create the ancient-modern environment are Metropolis (steampunk), Star Wars (light-sabres & many philosophical concepts such as go by your feeling), Mad Max, Hunger Games, Marvel films (Thor, Hawkeye, Dr. Strange’ universe, Shang Chi, …) and so on 

Conversely, there are films that could use future tech in a historical or current environment (many 007 films, Harry Potter (through magic), Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Batman, …)

Dune can be seen as a period fantasy film set in the future (blending both worlds)

Edited by zen

Many of the films listed here like Stalker or Persona or even 2001 could be difficult to sit through for many in a casual viewing environment  (PS that is may require one to be in the right mood to watch some of these films)

Edited by zen

16 hours ago, zen said:

Many of the films listed here like Stalker or Persona or even 2001 could be difficult to sit through for many in a casual viewing environment  (PS that is may require one to be in the right mood to watch some of these films)

I can watch "that" scene in Persona any number of times, the one where Liv Ullman narrates her encounter with some boys on the beach. the content is hard to take, but the direction is absolutely masterful