83 movie trailer

vayuu1

7 hours ago, Pollack said:

I don't like movies made out of sporting events. They are too dramatic, cinematic and don't give us a real feel or emotions. On top of that it's a Ranveer Singh movie who I couldn't stand. So I will gladly skip it. Bollywood movies are trash anyway with a few exceptions.

I thought the same way , but this is good , worth watching . This was my first Indian movie I watched in a cinema. 

7 hours ago, HamHindustani said:

paxtanis demand a movie on their win. Debate is whether Bollywood should make it on 92, 2009 or 2017 CT:hysterical:

matlab popatgiri ki bhi hadd hoti hai. wannabees ko sab kuch India se hi chahiye

Not every WC win deserves a movie made after it.  1983 Indian WC win was more than just a WC win for Indian, it was an event which changed the history of not just Indian cricket, but changed the cricket overall. Other teams also realized WI was not unbeatable. When IK won 1992 WC , it was a historical win for Pakistan but it was hardly an upset. IK was old, established, very experienced, charismatic  and had proven match winners and some experienced international players  like Wasim, Miandad, Inzimam, Mushy, Aqib, Moin, Amir Sohail and they knew they could win on their day, So, 1983 WC win was a much bigger deal than 1992 win . 

11 minutes ago, First class said:

Not every WC win deserves a movie made after it.  1983 Indian WC win was more than just a WC win for Indian, it was an event which changed the history of not just Indian cricket, but changed the cricket overall. Other teams also realized WI was not unbeatable. When IK won 1992 WC , it was a historical win for Pakistan but it was hardly an upset. IK was old, established, very experienced, charismatic  and had proven match winners and some experienced international players  like Wasim, Miandad, Inzimam, Mushy, Aqib, Moin, Amir Sohail and they knew they could win on their day, So, 1983 WC win was a much bigger deal than 1992 win . 

That is not my point. why would a Paxtani expect Bollywood, an Indian film industry to make a movie on their WC triumph.  Ham to apne WC victory ki banayenge na. Aap apne ki banao.

2 hours ago, First class said:

it also made ODI cricket a bigger priority for SC (as a whole) and brought in bigger profits.

2 hours ago, First class said:

Why not in the local context, like India Pak & SL would also have broken some ceilings and those moments are cherished by fans and supporters.

BD film industry would have made one on Nihadas trophy but DK the villain had other ideas.

4 minutes ago, Clarke said:

Why not in the local context, like India Pak & SL would also have broken some ceilings and those moments are cherished by fans and supporters.

BD film industry would have made one on Nihadas trophy but DK the villain had other ideas.

why don't they make one even now? it will be hilarious to see DK being played as a moustachioed-twirling villain who "robs" the "rightful" team of their win... would make for a good comedy.

2 hours ago, sandeep said:

Movie is on netflix now - watching it.  Halfway thru feel like shutting it off.  Wtf is this emo bullshit.  multiple scenes with players crying and sulking over superficial nonsense.  

Bollywood has a formula that it usually sticks with no matter what the subject. For e.g. a film on Gandhiji could have Ghandhiji and Kasturbaa signing and dancing in rain, and then throw in diversity, communal harmony, etc. to go with desh bhakti dialogues and songs. 

56 minutes ago, zen said:

Bollywood has a formula that it usually sticks with no matter what the subject. For e.g. a film on Gandhiji could have Ghandhiji and Kasturbaa signing and dancing in rain, and then throw in diversity, communal harmony, etc. to go with desh bhakti dialogues and songs. 

That's an excessive generalization from a supposed connoisseur of 60s Bond movies - which have their own convoluted cringy formulas - I mean 'pussy galore' really? And nearly naked 'bad' girls swooning over a supposedly irresistable dude and switching sides just for a romp with him?  what a wow, now that's ci-ne-maaa.  

28 minutes ago, sandeep said:

That's an excessive generalization from a supposed connoisseur of 60s Bond movies - which have their own convoluted cringy formulas - I mean 'pussy galore' really? And nearly naked 'bad' girls swooning over a supposedly irresistable dude and switching sides just for a romp with him?  what a wow, now that's ci-ne-maaa.  

That is “one” series though (and I like certain types of masala films too) in a variety of films and series being churned out 

Check out multitude of films like Ashoka, Bhagat Singh, Jodha Akbar, Guru, etc. (an exception among mainstream films is M-e-A which for e.g. uses songs relatively intelligently). Ind cricket can be said to be formulaic too.

Edited by zen

Watched this film last night- two things which are typical Kabir Khan formula

1. Pakistan stopping LOC cross border firing just so that indian soldiers can watch match... obv portraying the Pak army as peace loving people just like he showed the ISI has team players/brotherhood vibes in Tiger Zinda Hai

2. References to riot hit areas and its shown than muslims in this area who supposedly are the victims of hindu attacks are die hard India fans and they are the ones that bring all police, hindus together as one community to watch the match.

Kya bakwaas is this- add to that over the top emotional drama by players just to spice up the script, not being able to afford an actual bus to film in but resorting to VFX and green screen

17 hours ago, sandeep said:

Movie is on netflix now - watching it.  Halfway thru feel like shutting it off.  Wtf is this emo bullshit.  multiple scenes with players crying and sulking over superficial nonsense.  

You know how the movie ends: with a maiden Indian world cup win. And its not a documentary. There are no surprises in the tale.

So you have to throw player emotions and reactions to situations as sub plots. Bereft of the element of surprise/shock, how else would you keep the audience glued to the movie?

Saving it for the weekend. I know it might suck and I have been given mixed feedback which usually points towards the film being average.

However it is one of our greatest sporting moments and a story I love so will give it a go and then crib about the cringe etc later but I have a feeling I can look beyond that if this is made well enough. 

48 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

You know how the movie ends: with a maiden Indian world cup win. And its not a documentary. There are no surprises in the tale.

So you have to throw player emotions and reactions to situations as sub plots. Bereft of the element of surprise/shock, how else would you keep the audience glued to the movie?

I guess I just expected better than this rona-dhona soap opera level 'conflict' subplots.  It makes some good points about how little the players were paid, how they were disrespected by the cricket fraternity etc, but the waterworks and emo crap is way OTT.  Just my perspective I guess.

On 3/22/2022 at 6:50 AM, sandeep said:

:phehe:

I'll tell u how it should have been made, pretending to be an expert from a developed country.

Movie beginning: they lift the 83 WC in first 5 min with focus on Kapil Dev getting lucky. From then on it all goes downhill until the interval, show all the losses and how other all rounders are winning in particular moments & have better stats.  

2 min before interval: Kapil Dev is forced to retire and a kid is born in a regular family in Guj.

Post interval: kid's kicking arse while growing up, has amazing all round skills on the field and off it. Gets into Indian team despite all odds, gets a PhD in Neuroscience from Harvard and transforms his city from Dharavi types to Helsinki, post which he tells his parents "main karke aaya!".  Wins multiple IPLs single handedly, something which Kapil couldn't achieve and is seen crying over it. Becomes captain of his new IPL team and then team India in all formats, wins multiple trophies including WTC, odi WC & T20 WC. In the end, Dhoni Sachin and many others are in awe and wonder how their local rickshaw culture of sports produced a gem superior to Sir Donald Bradman and much more. 

Trivia question: who is this mystery all rounder that deserved a central role in 83 ?