• Nolan's Batman
    • Snyder's DC Extended Universe
  2. 2. Favorite Batman Film

• Batman (1989)
    • Batman Returns (1992)
    • Batman Begins (2005)
    • The Dark Knight (2008)
    • The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
    • Batman v Superman Ultimate Edition Restored (2020)
    • Zack Snyder's Justice League (2021)

9 hours ago, Vijy said:

it was hilarious. I do genuinely like the fact that it has a lighthearted take on batman, which is overly grimdark these days

Agree.

I am not a fan of the Zac Snyder/Suicide Squad Batman. I'm over the whole "aliens from another world destroying the planet" mumbo jumbo. The special effects are noisy, incomprehensible and just, plain boring.

"The Batman" was too much of a slow burn. They could have picked up the pace a tad.

Joel Schumacher's Batman was just way too over the top. WTF was it with the nipples on the suit?

Christopher Nolan got it right. "Batman Begins", I can watch over and over again. His series did justice to Catman, Bane, 2 Face and the Joker.

34 minutes ago, EnterTheVoid said:

Agree.

I am not a fan of the Zac Snyder/Suicide Squad Batman. I'm over the whole "aliens from another world destroying the planet" mumbo jumbo. The special effects are noisy, incomprehensible and just, plain boring.

"The Batman" was too much of a slow burn. They could have picked up the pace a tad.

Joel Schumacher's Batman was just way too over the top. WTF was it with the nipples on the suit?

Christopher Nolan got it right. "Batman Begins", I can watch over and over again. His series did justice to Catman, Bane, 2 Face and the Joker.

Yes, Nolan's Batman series is my fav too. I did like The Batman (2022), but it's not for everyone - mostly for those who like film noir type films. Burton's series is uneven but has some wonderful moments therein.

As for Synder, this is the most divisive. I personally found the Synder cuts of Justice League and Bat vs Super quite interesting, even though it does go too much into grimdark territory.

In the end, I always enjoy curling up by my fireside and watching Adam West's Batman, especially in winter with a hot cup of cocoa.

5 hours ago, Vijy said:

Yes, Nolan's Batman series is my fav too. I did like The Batman (2022), but it's not for everyone - mostly for those who like film noir type films. Burton's series is uneven but has some wonderful moments therein.

As for Synder, this is the most divisive. I personally found the Synder cuts of Justice League and Bat vs Super quite interesting, even though it does go too much into grimdark territory.

In the end, I always enjoy curling up by my fireside and watching Adam West's Batman, especially in winter with a hot cup of cocoa.

"The Batman" got a lot right:

• Colin Farrell as "The Penguin". The makeup and prosthetics were incredible.
  • No flashbacks of Bruce's parents death. We already know what happened, no need to show the same thing over and over again.
  • The "Arkhams" as one of the founding families of Gotham.
  • The "Riddler" as a Batman style vigilante cracking down on the corrupt. That took me by surprise.
  • No shaky cam in the fight sequences. Thank God they didn't go down the Michael Bay route.
  • Very little special effects.
  • The atmosphere was spot on. Most of the film is shot at night, at dusk, in night clubs etc. Really hammers home the grungy/corrupt nature of Gotham. Almost felt like taking a shower after watching the movie.
  • Focus more on Batman the "detective" as opposed to Batman the "superhero". Don't know why Batman is considered a "superhero", he has no special powers.

I need to watch the Snyder cut of the Justice League. At least the tone and tenor will be consistent between "Man of Steel", "Batman v/s Superman: Dawn of Justice" and "Justice League". 

I saw "Justice League" after watching "Dawn of Justice" and just went, WTF. The humour in Whedon's cut just didn't work. It might have worked for Marvel movies as they have adopted that tone from the very beginning.

Edited by EnterTheVoid

I m subscribed to the YTer below as he is a Toronto based photographer:

While Batsman’s cinematography (including its nearly monochromatic look which separates it from Marvel’s  look) is good for what the film is trying to be, I actually kept thinking about films like Lawrence of Arabia and Vertigo when watching Batman, reminiscing the great cinematography including superb use of colors, light and actor positioning, that many of the films of yesteryears had. 

Though still prefer Batman’s (DC’s) dark and relatively monochromatic approach to Marvel’s “bright” look.

Edited by zen

Nolan's movies have lots of potholes, wierd fights and dialogues but they are still the coolest batman movies. The screenplay just sprints from start to finish. Its grimdark without causing depression. Snyder's movies are just extremely cynical and depressing, even Superman is depressing. And the story isn't even that good to warrant all that moodiness

I am not sure what I think of Reeves batman yet, there are some cool parts but it still felt dragged. But they nailed the overall tone so I'm optimistic about the next part 

On 3/25/2022 at 11:49 PM, zen said:

I m subscribed to the YTer below as he is a Toronto based photographer:

While Batsman’s cinematography (including its nearly monochromatic look which separates it from Marvel’s  look) is good for what the film is trying to be, I actually kept thinking about films like Lawrence of Arabia and Vertigo when watching Batman, reminiscing the great cinematography including superb use of colors, light and actor positioning, that many of the films of yesteryears had. 

Though still prefer Batman’s (DC’s) dark and relatively monochromatic approach to Marvel’s “bright” look.

yes, monochrome can yield surprising beauty even in low-budget films (which, of course, does not apply to "The Batman")

I saw the first batman as a kid with my family so have endearing memories. I only saw bits and pieces of the 2nd part on TV. So for me Michael Keaton will always be Batman.

Then saw the Val Kilmer one again with my school friends during Holidays and enjoyed it but it was a terrible movie. Can’t watch it now.

Totally skipped the George Clooney one. Even though it’s like the gunda of super hero

movies. Can watch it for the train wreck.

The Nolan- Bale trilogy is quality cinema on its own even if you don’t treat it as a super hero film. After Keaton, Bale for me.

I don’t like the current DC movie universe except Wonder Woman first part which was great. Those movies suck and I am not a fan of those movies. 

I finally saw the new Batman. It was decent and I think Robert Pattinson suits the role but I couldn’t watch the movie in one sitting. Dragged on but overall it was decent.

here is my ranking 

Nolan Trilogy

Michael Keaton 

Robert Pattinson (has potential)

Val Kilmer (again nostalgia)

Ben Affleck 

George Clooney.

Nothing comes close to Nolan’s trilogy

- the music score by Hans Zimmer is impeccable 

- the dialogues are incredibly well written

- screenplay is perfect

- best ever casting of any DC film series. The actors portraying Batman, Joker, Bane, Ras Al Gul all did very good jobs

- character writing and screentime is perfect

Nothing comes close to Nolan’s trilogy

- the music score by Hans Zimmer is impeccable 

- the dialogues are incredibly well written

- screenplay is perfect

- best ever casting of any DC film series. The actors portraying Batman, Joker, Bane, Ras Al Gul all did very good jobs

- character writing and screentime is perfect

IMO, TDK gets worse with every viewing. The hand to hand choreography is awful, the editing is bad…script is full of plot holes. Oh and that horrible growling Batman voice.

Batman Begins is the definitive movie in the trilogy… but The Batman (2022) takes the cake.