Intermittent fasting, time restricted eating For Ketosis(fat burning), Autophagy, growth harmones, gut lining repair

randomGuy

3 minutes ago, Vilander said:

Amazing. I am trying to switch from intermittent fasting to cyclical keto. But the taste of starch is just too much ( addicted to basmati and potato - quinoa cauliflower rice is my aim ) . I see some celebs claiming they just do intermittent fasting with night meal that is starchy, Terry crews for example but does not work for me. I am around 6'3 110 kg but fairly muscled with a bit of padding which I am trying to get rid of, keto helps with weight but not sure about muscle mass, I get good pre workout energy in the AM when I switch back to starch the night before. 

You definitely have to see what works for you. Some people are able to metabolize a certain quantity of starch without messing up their systems. For me, starch and basically sugar of any form was playing havoc with my body. Inflammation of joints leading to stiffness, aches and forced lethargy because of these symptoms. The day I started keto was when I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic. It's what motivated me to start on this Way of Eating and why I've never slipped off of it. I too was a big time foodie which in our or most cultures means hogging all kinds of starches. Initially I would have to have a cheat meal, which in my case meant having a nice big plate of biryani once a month. after about six months I learnt to make cauliflower rice and the biryani I made using that eventually was indistinguishable from a regular biryani. I could serve it to unsuspecting guests and they wouldn't be able to tell that it was cauli - the most the more fussy eaters would catch on is that the "rice" was mushy and not long-grain basmati. I eventually stopped craving for the taste of biryani and now make my cauli rice biriyani only when asked.

On 12/26/2021 at 9:10 AM, Prakat said:

You definitely have to see what works for you. Some people are able to metabolize a certain quantity of starch without messing up their systems. For me, starch and basically sugar of any form was playing havoc with my body. Inflammation of joints leading to stiffness, aches and forced lethargy because of these symptoms. The day I started keto was when I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic. It's what motivated me to start on this Way of Eating and why I've never slipped off of it. I too was a big time foodie which in our or most cultures means hogging all kinds of starches. Initially I would have to have a cheat meal, which in my case meant having a nice big plate of biryani once a month. after about six months I learnt to make cauliflower rice and the biryani I made using that eventually was indistinguishable from a regular biryani. I could serve it to unsuspecting guests and they wouldn't be able to tell that it was cauli - the most the more fussy eaters would catch on is that the "rice" was mushy and not long-grain basmati. I eventually stopped craving for the taste of biryani and now make my cauli rice biriyani only when asked.

Zen **** bro. I am going to try thanks. 

On 12/26/2021 at 7:40 PM, Prakat said:

That's an very interesting way to cut carbs. I never thought of that before. It seems there is plenty of recipes and stuff on the internet and YT about this. I'm learning new stuff from you. Keep posting more. I would like to hear more from you on IF. Thank you

7 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

That's an very interesting way to cut carbs. I never thought of that before. It seems there is plenty of recipes and stuff on the internet and YT about this. I'm learning new stuff from you. Keep posting more. I would like to hear more from you on IF. Thank you

Cauliflower rice is a keto staple you can make it with food processor,  but making biryani with it I just learnt now. Just plain cauliflower rice is soggy. 

On 12/29/2021 at 2:42 AM, Vilander said:

Cauliflower rice is a keto staple you can make it with food processor,  but making biryani with it I just learnt now. Just plain cauliflower rice is soggy. 

I tried cauliflower rice couple of weeks ago. it seems you have to keep the flowerettes immersed in water. I was in a hurry and went for a quick rinse and tossed them in the pan and fried them for a few minutes with sesame oil. I had the lunch, it tasted great. Everything fine until an hour went by. I got sore throat and cold and a head pounding migraine. I know I made a mistake but all this fancy cooking is not my thing. Better have rice in small quantities with curries and vegetables and increase the fasting window.

On 12/26/2021 at 7:46 PM, kepler37b said:

Word of caution to all folks

design your diet such that it is nearer to that of your ancestors. Consuming phoren foods like oats, broccoli will punish your digestive system. 

Word! Read my post above for my clumsiness. I'm sticking to strictly desi foods from now on. Oats can be a good food for breakfast as it has fibre. Never had a problem with it while I was in US. But its still adding carbs to the intake. Its still better than sugary cereals (there is also sugary oats). Even the regular oats provide no nutritional value but it keeps you satiated until lunch because it has low glycemic index. The whole thing about intermittent fasting is skip one or two meals a day. breakfast is the easiest to skip.

1 hour ago, Real McCoy said:

Word! Read my post above for my clumsiness. I'm sticking to strictly desi foods from now on. Oats can be a good food for breakfast as it has fibre. Never had a problem with it while I was in US. But its still adding carbs to the intake. Its still better than sugary cereals (there is also sugary oats). Even the regular oats provide no nutritional value but it keeps you satiated until lunch because it has low glycemic index. The whole thing about intermittent fasting is skip one or two meals a day. breakfast is the easiest to skip.

Bhai, every civilisation has found out balanced diet based on environment they lived. Problem happens when you mix it. So rely on English diet , Thai, French, or Afghani diet or Various Indian diet. But just one diet and you will be fine.

6 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

I tried cauliflower rice couple of weeks ago. it seems you have to keep the flowerettes immersed in water. I was in a hurry and went for a quick rinse and tossed them in the pan and fried them for a few minutes with sesame oil. I had the lunch, it tasted great. Everything fine until an hour went by. I got sore throat and cold and a head pounding migraine. I know I made a mistake but all this fancy cooking is not my thing. Better have rice in small quantities with curries and vegetables and increase the fasting window.

the pounding is probably because of sugar to fat shift basically ketosis :) that is the fundamental item. For us par boiled rice is staple without it we will bloat or get head ache. 

I would say replace rice with quinoa for a meal or so and try gradually to reduce starch intake like if you are taking potatoes don’t take rice etc. 

4 hours ago, mishra said:

Keep religious fast on tuesdays for Hanumanji for healthy life and post life.

- One of many Hindu ways of living better life

This or extend morning don’t breakfast with any grain source just eat fat and protein and prolong fast to lunch or dinner. 

6 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

btw don’t know what you meant when you say tossed it into the pan. 
Use an s blade processor to make the cauli rice and squeeze out as much moisture as possible with a idli baking cloth or something.

Like this one 

https://www.amazon.in/Inalsa-Food-Processor-Easy-Accessories/

1 hour ago, Vilander said:

This or extend morning don’t breakfast with any grain source just eat fat and protein and prolong fast to lunch or dinner. 

Jains do not eat after 6 pm latest they eat is before. 8:00 pm. . They are veggies Nf never overweight. Sometimes I feel they are malnourished 

3 hours ago, mishra said:

Jains do not eat after 6 pm latest they eat is before. 8:00 pm. . They are veggies Nf never overweight. Sometimes I feel they are malnourished 

ghee intake I have seen in many they are not vegan always and eat early. But yeah many are  very thin and can be mistaken for malnourished. I have also seen enormous females and males esp females big bellies lol.

3 hours ago, Vilander said:

ghee intake I have seen in many they are not vegan always and eat early. But yeah many are  very thin and can be mistaken for malnourished. I have also seen enormous females and males esp females big bellies lol.

Yes. Your observation is correct. Big bellies are rare among them but then again. They are most affluent community among us. Compare that with rest of affluent Indians

7 hours ago, mishra said:

Yes. Your observation is correct. Big bellies are rare among them but then again. They are most affluent community among us. Compare that with rest of affluent Indians

Well I have seen the community very closely in TN through my schooling time, jains from marwar, marwadis. Big gut is not rare among them every other female so to say. But then it could be just the specific community that I got to interact they were like a 100 families. 

On 2/2/2022 at 3:29 AM, Vilander said:

the pounding is probably because of sugar to fat shift basically ketosis :) that is the fundamental item. For us par boiled rice is staple without it we will bloat or get head ache. 

I would say replace rice with quinoa for a meal or so and try gradually to reduce starch intake like if you are taking potatoes don’t take rice etc. 

I have tried eating without rice or sometimes less rice. Didn't have a migraine. It looks more like I didn't soak the flourettes in water for a while before cooking them. It seems there are minute germs over the flourettes with a brown/black color which goes away after soaking. Rinsing with water wasnt enough as I found out to my detriment.

On 2/2/2022 at 3:40 AM, Vilander said:

btw don’t know what you meant when you say tossed it into the pan. 
Use an s blade processor to make the cauli rice and squeeze out as much moisture as possible with a idli baking cloth or something.

Like this one 

https://www.amazon.in/Inalsa-Food-Processor-Easy-Accessories/

Am not that crazy about cooking dude. For me its like a job that you need to do maintain a healthy lifestyle. I have made a decision that cauli rice is not for me. I already know the blade processor will rust in my kitchen :p: It maybe a good idea for others but definitely not for me.

On 2/1/2022 at 10:45 PM, mishra said:

Bhai, every civilisation has found out balanced diet based on environment they lived. Problem happens when you mix it. So rely on English diet , Thai, French, or Afghani diet or Various Indian diet. But just one diet and you will be fine.

Word. I know living in south india, a mediterranean diet is not probably a good option. Its good for those living in mediterranean but not for me. Its also not good vice versa. Someone living in Rome or NYC cooking with coconut oil is not good because in those lower temperatures, coconut oil gets solidified. There's a reason why coconut grows in tropical regions. Coconut oil even becomes semi solid in "winter" in south india.

I'm sticking to south indian diet with less rice and more vegetables. These changes are necessary because of our sedentary lifestyles. In our past where our ancestors had to till the soil, grow crops, get water and transport it. So their everyday life was physically hard. For them rice or wheat provided them with enough energy to do those activities. For the modern man, carbs in huge quantities is not needed

I have heard cities in north india, those who are oriented towards taking care of their health have cut down on rotis and naans. Is that true?

On 2/1/2022 at 10:42 PM, mishra said:

Keep religious fast on tuesdays for Hanumanji for healthy life and post life.

- One of many Hindu ways of living better life

In South India, Hanumanji is associated with saturday. There are people who fast on tuesday or saturday or both. My mother used to fast on one of these days with only one meal. One meal a day is popular here or was when I was growing up in religious circles. Its a religious vrata. So that doctor in the clip posted by OP is not wrong because our ancestors knew the importance of fasting. We need to bring back these things that we lost due to our own ignorance

On 2/2/2022 at 7:49 AM, Vilander said:

The strict ones look very malnourished. Those women with big bellies have a food addiction especially sweets and chat items. I have seen some girls who look like they are about to die from hunger get married and become a big cow :laugh: