ODI fantasy draft- Make your team!

Majestic

1 hour ago, Sooda said:

There feels like some "format creep" here ... Botham, Imran and even Rashid Khan aren't/, weren't that great ODI players. Imran probably gets in as a bowler alone, but there's better options even then

Imran led his team to a World Cup win, was a competent middle order batsman like Jadeja ( good enough to anchor the inning and batted mostly at 5 or 6 in the Pakistan team that won in 1992) and with bowling average of 26, good enough as a 3rd or 4th bowler in an all time XI team.

In my team, he will play as floater. If we are 4 down at 120-130, then Imran will come ahead of Flintoff and Cairns to build the inning with Dhoni but if we are 4 down at 200+, then both Flintoff and Cairns will be sent higher.

With Imran, you get a great leader in the group, Jadeja level batsman and Kapil Dev level ODI bowler( although faster than him).

Edited by Majestic
45 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Imran led his team to a World Cup win, was a competent middle order batsman like Jadeja ( good enough to anchor the inning and batted mostly at 5 or 6 in the Pakistan team that won in 1992) and with bowling average of 26, good enough as a 3rd or 4th bowler in an all time XI team.

In my team, he will play as floater. If we are 4 down at 120-130, then Imran will come ahead of Flintoff and Cairns to build the inning with Dhoni but if we are 4 down at 200+, then both Flintoff and Cairns will be sent higher.

With Imran, you get a great leader in the group, Jadeja level batsman and Kapil Dev level ODI bowler( although faster than him).

He's definitely one of the all time greats, and as a leader you're absolutely right. I guess my issue would be with his strike rate. He was capable of hitting big, but mostly an accumulator and especially so if looking at it from a modern day perspective. 

Also tbf I can't think of too many other great / very good ODI pace bowling all rounders who have not been picked yet

1 hour ago, Majestic said:

Take a look at one of Imran's memorable knock with bat in 1992 World Cup Final:-

He batted at 3 and scored 72 runs in a WC Final.:cheer:

https://m.cricbuzz.com/live-cricket-scorecard/6802/eng-vs-pak-final-benson-hedges-world-cup-1992

I watched that innings, it was an unbelievably painful experience. 

At one stage, both Imran's and Miandad's individual score read 1 run off 30 balls (each). I am not exaggerating.

They somehow scraped to 240 odd thanks to Inzi's and Akram's quick runs else at one stage it didn't look like they are going to get even 170.

Edited by Mohan Swamy
12 minutes ago, Mohan Swamy said:

I watched that innings, it was an unbelievably painful experience. 

At one stage, both Imran's and Miandad's individual score read 1 run off 30 balls (each). I am not exaggerating.

They somehow scraped to 230 odd thanks to Inzi's quick runs else at one stage it didn't look like they are going to get even 170.

Actually, Miandad's inning was painful. He got 58 of 98 balls. Imran's knock was very good for his level and as per the standard of that era, 72 of 110. It was a high quality knock considering that Pakistan were 2 down early, much like Gambhir and Kohli's knock in 2011 WC Final after losing two early wickets.

Also, you are wrong with the 170 part here because when Inzy came to bat, the scoreboard was reading 170/3 and he did faced 35 balls after that for his 42 runs. :--D

Back then, scoreboards like 170/3 in 40 overs were pretty common. More importantly, Imran's knock wins his team the World Cup Final which remains Pakistan's biggest game till now.

Edited by Majestic