Novak Djokovic's Australian visa cancelled

EnterTheVoid

15 minutes ago, EnterTheVoid said:

Djokovic released! Wow.

Somebody stuffed up somewhere. Everyone is blaming everyone else .

I get that people don't like Novak and I don't agree with his vaccination stance... But, but on this occasion I don't see what he has done wrong, he seems to have complied with everything the Aus government asked or required of him...at least from the below link... There may have been a misunderstanding on his part, that his recent infection gave him exemption, but he hasn't set about deliberately trying to get round or break the rules 

PS: hope you are well Sree :-)

https://news.sky.com/story/novak-djokovic-vs-australia-what-both-sides-say-in-the-tennis-stars-deportation-legal-battle-12512389

He should have been allowed to enter because he had "been recently infected with COVID in December 2021 and on this basis... was entitled to a medical exemption in accordance with Australian government rules and guidance

Papers filed with the court say the 34-year-old received a letter from Tennis Australia's chief medical officer on 30 December "recording that he had been provided with a 'medical exemption from COVID vaccination' on the grounds that he had recently recovered from COVID".

The filings showed that Djokovic tested positive for COVID-19 on 16 December and, on the day the letter was sent, it confirmed the player "had not had a fever or respiratory symptoms in the past 72 hours". 

His lawyers argue Australian government rules say people can be exempt from needing a vaccine when someone has had a "PCR-confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection" within the last six months.

Tennis Australia's exemption certificate was provided by an Independent Expert Medical Review panel commissioned by the body, which was endorsed by an independent Medical Exemptions Review Panel of the Victorian State Government, the filing said.

Then, on 1 January, Djokovic obtained a document from Australia's Department of Home Affairs in relation to his Australian Travel Declaration which said that his application "'[had] been assessed', and '[his] responses indicate[d] that [he met] the requirements for a quarantine-free arrival into Australia where permitted by the jurisdiction of your arrival".

His lawyer claim the jurisdiction it refers to is the state of Victoria.

46 minutes ago, Sooda said:

I get that people don't like Novak and I don't agree with his vaccination stance... But, but on this occasion I don't see what he has done wrong, he seems to have complied with everything the Aus government asked or required of him...at least from the below link... There may have been a misunderstanding on his part, that his recent infection gave him exemption, but he hasn't set about deliberately trying to get round or break the rules 

PS: hope you are well Sree :-)

https://news.sky.com/story/novak-djokovic-vs-australia-what-both-sides-say-in-the-tennis-stars-deportation-legal-battle-12512389

He should have been allowed to enter because he had "been recently infected with COVID in December 2021 and on this basis... was entitled to a medical exemption in accordance with Australian government rules and guidance

Papers filed with the court say the 34-year-old received a letter from Tennis Australia's chief medical officer on 30 December "recording that he had been provided with a 'medical exemption from COVID vaccination' on the grounds that he had recently recovered from COVID".

The filings showed that Djokovic tested positive for COVID-19 on 16 December and, on the day the letter was sent, it confirmed the player "had not had a fever or respiratory symptoms in the past 72 hours". 

His lawyers argue Australian government rules say people can be exempt from needing a vaccine when someone has had a "PCR-confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection" within the last six months.

Tennis Australia's exemption certificate was provided by an Independent Expert Medical Review panel commissioned by the body, which was endorsed by an independent Medical Exemptions Review Panel of the Victorian State Government, the filing said.

Then, on 1 January, Djokovic obtained a document from Australia's Department of Home Affairs in relation to his Australian Travel Declaration which said that his application "'[had] been assessed', and '[his] responses indicate[d] that [he met] the requirements for a quarantine-free arrival into Australia where permitted by the jurisdiction of your arrival".

His lawyer claim the jurisdiction it refers to is the state of Victoria.

He announced  on Twitter  he got exemption  thats where the problem  started if he had kept his mouth  shut it wouldn't  been problem 

Now with Novak announcing  in Twitter  it showed Australian  government  double standards  which  Australia  is  trying to cover up  by trying to prove nobody is above law with elections coming 

Heya @Sooda, or is it Soo-dad now? Good to see you back mate, it's been too long. What, 10+ years now?

I'd have to agree with you. I don't agree with Djokovic's anti vaccination stance either. But in this case, it seems someone else fumbled somewhere else. And Djokovic did everything that was asked of him.

You do everything that was asked of you and you still get thrown under the bus.

Time to eat humble pie and say sorry. Sorry Djokovic.

Edited by EnterTheVoid

Djokovic arrested now and Govt has intervened to overturn the judges decision and cancel his visa. I mean I understand Djokovic has done something wrong here with the paperwork, anti vaccine stance, and the spreading of COVID and going out and attending functions while being positive. But Australia has seriously messed this up, they could've handled this better. And also overturning a course decision sounds very draconian and authoritative, not like a democracy at all. Last few years Australia has really become something else. They could've just refused his application and exemption and not allowed him to enter in the start. Both parties are in the wrong here, but Australia is seriously mishandling the issue. 

15 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

Djokovic arrested now and Govt has intervened to overturn the judges decision and cancel his visa. I mean I understand Djokovic has done something wrong here with the paperwork, anti vaccine stance, and the spreading of COVID and going out and attending functions while being positive. But Australia has seriously messed this up, they could've handled this better. And also overturning a course decision sounds very draconian and authoritative, not like a democracy at all. Last few years Australia has really become something else. They could've just refused his application and exemption and not allowed him to enter in the start. Both parties are in the wrong here, but Australia is seriously mishandling the issue. 

Australia has become asstralia ever since corona. even day to day people are seeing the authoritarian dictatorship of asstralia.

1 hour ago, EnterTheVoid said:

Heya @Sooda, or is it Soo-dad now? Good to see you back mate, it's been too long. What, 10+ years now?

I'd have to agree with you. I don't agree with Djokovic's anti vaccination stance either. But in this case, it seems someone else fumbled somewhere else. And Djokovic did everything that was asked of him.

You do everything that was asked of you and you still get thrown under the bus.

Time to eat humble pie and say sorry. Sorry Djokovic.

I'm good man ! Yes long time indeed, and Yes hehe Soodad, hence the general lack of activity on the forum compared to all those years ago!

It's proven now that Djokovic got COVID positive on the 16th and he attended events the next few days despite being positive and being aware of his results. That's a pretty low and dirty thing to do. Knowing you are COVID positive but still going out in mass events and spreading it. 

1 hour ago, I6MTW said:

It's all about perceptions now. 

The good folk of Melbourne have been locked in for the better part of 2 years. Even the smallest *perceived* infractions have come with heavy penalties. 

It's come across as one set of rules for the average Joe and one set of rules for the rich. And whilst that has been true in the past, it doesn't seem to be the case now. 

Somebody screwed up somewhere and it's not Djokovic. FFS, the judge even went as far as saying something to the effect of what more Djokovic could have done. The judge of the country that revoked this visa. 

3 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

It's proven now that Djokovic got COVID positive on the 16th and he attended events the next few days despite being positive and being aware of his results. That's a pretty low and dirty thing to do. Knowing you are COVID positive but still going out in mass events and spreading it. 

He's an absolute idiot. 

And this is probably the real reason why they don't want people like him coming in. 

There is no shortage of idiots who will willingly get COVID if it means they can avoid getting the vaccine (few such retards on this forum itself).

42 minutes ago, Sooda said:

I'm good man ! Yes long time indeed, and Yes hehe Soodad, hence the general lack of activity on the forum compared to all those years ago!

Welcome back mate. 

Same same but different on my end. Don't really post as much as I used to. Got a lot keeping me busy thesedays. 

On 1/6/2022 at 2:39 AM, SujitPrakash said:

What a *ing disgrace this guy is, Australia does not tolerate this bullshit, doesn't matter how rich and famous you are.

Djokovic's evidence for medical exemption 'insufficient'

Novak Djokovic's high-profile anti-vaccination stance was a magnet for attention at Australia's border, Scott Morrison has claimed.

The prime minister also explained that the evidence Djokovic had relied on for a medical exemption to enter Australia without being vaccinated was insufficient.

"He did not have a valid medical exemption," Mr Morrison said, explaining why Djokovic's visa was sensationally cancelled by Australian Border Force this morning.

There are reports the world number one will be deported on a flight tonight after he was taken to a Carlton hotel following his nine-hour detention at Melbourne Airport.

Australia are deporting him on the next flight back to Europe, which is due in the next 4 hours.

Maybe time to look at Canada as a possible destination, No ?

22 minutes ago, EnterTheVoid said:

The minister might still cancel his visa. Novax might not be allowed in the country for 3 years :hahaha:

Today is finished. If they have to cancel, they'll have to do it tomorrow or some other time. They'll probably wait it out see public reaction and media, consult with experts, panel, pollsters, etc 

9 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Not quite true, bhai.  Am not sure how to copy/paste images from a pdf, so I am giving the link and copying the relevant conclusion.  Unvaccinated individuals transmit Omicron at >2x the rate of boosted individuals.  

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.12.27.21268278v1.full.pdf

Furthermore, we show that fully vaccinated and booster-vaccinated individuals are generally less susceptible to infection compared to unvaccinated individuals (Table 2). We also show that booster-vaccinated individuals generally had a reduced transmissibility (OR: 0.72, CI: 0.56-0.92), and that unvaccinated individuals had a higher transmissibility (OR: 1.41, CI: 1.27-1.57), compared to fully vaccinated individuals.  

Maybe you had another research paper showing something different, and I'd be happy to be corrected in that case.  

Bhai, lacs of people are getting infected daily. Many of them are double vaccinated. Some of them had infection as well so it's like triple vaccinated. 

13 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

Today is finished. If they have to cancel, they'll have to do it tomorrow or some other time. They'll probably wait it out see public reaction and media, consult with experts, panel, pollsters, etc 

The minister is seriously considering it! It's Breaking News!

The entire thread and the following timelines are pretty damning for Novak;

Dec 16 – Allegedly tested positive for Covid 19 based on the details submitted to tennis Australia to seek an exemption

Dec 17 – Photograph taken by Tennis Association of Serbia showing him pictured with young players day after testing positive (https://news.sky.com/story/novak-djokovic-pictured-with-young-players-the-day-after-lawyers-say-he-tested-positive-for-covid-12511669?dcmp=snt-sf-twitter)

Dec 18 – He had a a L'Equipe photoshoot while being maskless

Dec 25 – He was pictured on the streets of Belgrade, posing with a tennis fan.

All this with Serbian COVID rules clearly stating that you must self-isolate for 14 days after a positive PCR test. If anything he should be arrested for his reckless behaviour since testing positive.

Edited by Vivek92