Entry for bookworms only. Tread at your own risk....

Mariyam

18 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

I feel so left out here.

(1) I used to read a lot, but not anymore, except for what is required to teach and learn about my area of research OR non-fiction books (cooking, biographies of scientists etc.)

(2) I have a terrible memory.  Even if I read all the books on that list, chances are I wouldn't remember much.  This attribute, of course, comes in handy while watching movies multiple times - things will look familiar, but I won't remember the plot, so it'll still be fun. 

I envy you, for you have the pleasure of reading past favourites with new eyes every time. :)

On 1/10/2022 at 12:32 AM, Mariyam said:

That just leaves 4) unanswered!

Adding another clue and a few more questions

4)  Recite(or read)!  (Over here, I've only highlighted the first word)

Revelation, Think religion!, Jibril

11) He turned out the light and went into Jem's room. He would be there all night, and he would be there when Jem waked up in the morning

12) Very few castaways can claim to have survived so long at sea as Mr. Patel, and none in the company of an adult Bengal tiger

13) A LAST NOTE FROM YOUR NARRATOR. I am haunted by humans

14) I ran with the wind blowing in my face, and a smile as wide as the valley of Panjsher on my lips. I ran

15) Brevity is the soul of wit

16) Again and again I called out for Midori from the dead centre of this place that was no place

17) The proletarians have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to win. Workers of all countries, unite.

18) Having made this present, I had to curtail some of the festivities. I could not have the electric lights I had intended, nor the military band, and the ladies of the house were despondent at it. But to me the wedding feast was all the brighter for the thought that in a distant land a long-lost father met again with his only child.

19) What of Art?
-It is a malady.
--Love?
-An Illusion.
--Religion?
-The fashionable substitute for Belief.
--You are a sceptic.
-Never! Scepticism is the beginning of Faith.
--What are you?
-To define is to limit

20) Is there anything more dangerous than dissatisfied and irresponsible gods who don't know what they want?

Maryam-ji, I know the thread has already gotten some answers, so I hope you'll excuse me for not reading them.

11. To Kill a Mockingbird [my highly unpopular opinion is that some parts of its sequel are pretty good and compelling]

12. Life of Pi

13. The Book Thief?

14. I know Panjsher is in Afghanistan. So, it's probably The Kite Runner or A Thousand Splendid Suns (inclining toward former)

15. Hamlet (of course). Rowling kinda paraphrased it when she wrote "Wit beyond measure, is man's greatest treasure"

16. The writing style is that of Ishiguro. Either Norwegian Wood or Never Let Me Go - I vote for former

17. Communist Manifesto

18. No idea, sounds interesting though.

19. The Picture of Dorian Gray [that biting irony + cynicism is truly Wilde-ian]

20. I would not have guessed this even 1 yr ago. This is from Sapiens.

On 1/8/2022 at 8:05 AM, Mariyam said:

I'm going to put in iconic lines ( could be the opening lines, the last lines, or any line in between) from books of various genres.

You have to identify the book. Mad props if you can identify the narrator/character who said those lines.

DON'T USE search engines :rolleyes: to appear smart on the interwebbz.

1) All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.

2) It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen

3) Don’t ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody

4) Recite(or read)!  (Over here, I've only highlighted the first word)

5) After all, tomorrow is another day

6) The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which

7) Whatever our struggles and triumphs, however we may suffer them, all too soon they bleed into a wash, just like watery ink on paper

8) It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known

Bonus question: What is the speaker on about?

9) Oh, my girls, however long you may live, I never can wish you a greater happiness than this

10) Mother died today. Or maybe it was yesterday, I don't know

1. Anna Karenina. [However, I do not like the famous Constance Garnett translation]

2. 1984

3. Catcher in the Rye?

4. No idea.

5. Gone with the Wind. Scarlett O'Hara is one of my fav characters: she may be rather nasty sometimes, but she truly feels like a human being and not some stereotype

6. One more Orwell - Animal Farm

7. No idea

8. A Tale of Two Cities: Carton is talking about his sacrifice [I think this novel has the greatest combo of starting+closing lines]

9. Little Women [more precisely, it's from Good Wives]

10. L'etranger [The Stranger] - don't want to be a snob here, but the French version is more powerful

Some non - fiction/self help books that I recommend:

1. The subtle art of not giving a * - Interesting book that covers a broad range of psychology topics. Persevere through the first chapter, it gets better.
  2. The denial of death - Thought provoking book about man's refusal to come to terms with his own mortality.
  3. Never split the difference - Negotiation tips from the FBI's Lead Hostage Negotiator. Honestly, blew my mind

It's always easier to learn from other people's * ups than from your own :thumbsup:

All the questions have been answered more or less.

4) The opening word of the revelation to Prophet Mohammad (PBUH) from the archangel Jibril. Since the Holy Quran is anachronistic, it isn't the first word of the book. Answered by @Sooda

7) Answered by @Yoda-esque. Memoirs of a Geisha

16) @Vijy guessed it. Norwegian Wood

18) I'm surprised no one could guess this. This is from Kabuliwala by Tagore. 

Edited by Mariyam

Round 3

Guess the book. And the author/character who said these lines.

21) There is always something left to love

22) What is a country? A country is a piece of land surrounded on all sides by boundaries, usually unnatural. Englishmen are dying for England, Americans are dying for America, Germans are dying for Germany, Russians are dying for Russia. There are now fifty or sixty countries fighting in this war. Surely so many countries can't all be worth dying for.

23) Grief does not change you, Hazel. It reveals you

24) Do yourself a favour. Before it's too late, without thinking too much about it first, pack a pillow and a blanket and see as much of the world as you can. You will not regret it. One day it will be too late.

25) And in that moment, I swear we were infinite

26) The answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything is 42

27) Memories warm you up from the inside. But they also tear you apart.

28) After all, your chances of winning a lottery and of affecting an election are pretty similar. From a financial perspective, playing the lottery is a bad investment. But it's fun and relatively cheap: for the price of a ticket, you buy the right to fantasize how you'd spend the winnings - much as you get to fantasize that your vote will have some impact on policy.

29) To draw an analogy: a man's suffering is similar to the behaviour of a gas. If a certain quantity of gas is pumped into an empty chamber, it will fill the chamber completely and evenly, no matter how big the chamber. Thus suffering completely fills the human soul and conscious mind, no matter whether the suffering is great or little. Therefore the "size" of human suffering is absolutely relative

30) I had a lot of adventures as a child, but one that stands out is when I was cut under my eye while playing at Shivaji Park, the breeding ground of cricketers in Mumbai, and had to return home covered in blood. I was captaining my team in a match at Shivaji Park when I was twelve and after our wicketkeeper got injured I asked my team-mates if anyone could keep wicket. No one volunteered and somewhat reluctantly I stepped up to the challenge, even though I’d never tried it before. I was uncomfortable standing in the unfamiliar position behind the stumps and soon missed a nick. The ball came at me fast and, even before I could react, it hit me smack in the face, just missing my eye.

On 1/12/2022 at 4:54 AM, Mariyam said:

Round 3

Guess the book. And the author/character who said these lines.

21) There is always something left to love

22) What is a country? A country is a piece of land surrounded on all sides by boundaries, usually unnatural. Englishmen are dying for England, Americans are dying for America, Germans are dying for Germany, Russians are dying for Russia. There are now fifty or sixty countries fighting in this war. Surely so many countries can't all be worth dying for.

23) Grief does not change you, Hazel. It reveals you

24) Do yourself a favour. Before it's too late, without thinking too much about it first, pack a pillow and a blanket and see as much of the world as you can. You will not regret it. One day it will be too late.

26) The answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything is 42

28) After all, your chances of winning a lottery and of affecting an election are pretty similar. From a financial perspective, playing the lottery is a bad investment. But it's fun and relatively cheap: for the price of a ticket, you buy the right to fantasize how you'd spend the winnings - much as you get to fantasize that your vote will have some impact on policy.

29) To draw an analogy: a man's suffering is similar to the behaviour of a gas. If a certain quantity of gas is pumped into an empty chamber, it will fill the chamber completely and evenly, no matter how big the chamber. Thus suffering completely fills the human soul and conscious mind, no matter whether the suffering is great or little. Therefore the "size" of human suffering is absolutely relative

30) I had a lot of adventures as a child, but one that stands out is when I was cut under my eye while playing at Shivaji Park, the breeding ground of cricketers in Mumbai, and had to return home covered in blood. I was captaining my team in a match at Shivaji Park when I was twelve and after our wicketkeeper got injured I asked my team-mates if anyone could keep wicket. No one volunteered and somewhat reluctantly I stepped up to the challenge, even though I’d never tried it before. I was uncomfortable standing in the unfamiliar position behind the stumps and soon missed a nick. The ball came at me fast and, even before I could react, it hit me smack in the face, just missing my eye.

21. Not sure. Seems American to me.

22. I think this is Catch-22 by Heller. I remember the character was relatively minor.

23. No idea.

24. Namesake by J. Lahiri.

25. No idea.

26. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy; the character is "Deep Thought"

27. This is a Murakami novel, but I don't recall which one.

28. Seems vaguely familiar.

29. Man's Search for Meaning by Frankl (?). If so, this is one underrated (although critically acclaimed) book.

30. This is SRT's (auto)bio.

Additional clues for the unanswered questions:

21) There is always something left to love.

The writer is South American.

Written in the epistolary format.

The title of this book has the name of a 20th century literary great.

Nominative determinism

1 hour ago, Mariyam said:

Additional clues for the unanswered questions:

21) There is always something left to love.

The writer is South American.

Written in the epistolary format.

The title of this book has the name of a 20th century literary great.

Nominative determinism

Perks of being a wallflower?

I'm going by movies lol