2022 Australian Open

Real McCoy

Just like last year, this AO is full of drama. Heck compared to this year, last year's quarantine drama looks lukewarm. Either they should have allowed or banned Novak from the get go. Now Novak is in limbo. He wins the case against his detention but now gets arrested. It won't be a grand slam if the most successful champion (9 times) at AO, 3 time defending champion misses out on his favorite court trying to achieve history by winning the most slams (21). Djokovic and TA have some faults but the Assie govt has acted in ways that leaves a lot to be desired. I hope Novak gets to play if not the tournament loses its shine. The only other star is Rafa. Med and Zed can provide some spark. I guess AO will return to its 90s value of being the least favored slam. In the 00s, they tried to market it as a "happy slam" but asstralia is not a happy place methinks.

Nadal will try to vulture this AO with the absence of Novak. He has won the warm up in Melbourne. What's distasteful about Nadal is how he went after Novak when he was detained. I hope he pays for this cowardly behavior. His "humble behavior" in press conferences is nothing but PR. He has been extremely salty for the past year and this shows his true nature. I hope some new gen wins like Medvedev, Zverev, etc.

1 hour ago, Real McCoy said:

Nadal will try to vulture this AO with the absence of Novak. He has won the warm up in Melbourne. What's distasteful about Nadal is how he went after Novak when he was detained. I hope he pays for this cowardly behavior. His "humble behavior" in press conferences is nothing but PR. He has been extremely salty for the past year and this shows his true nature. I hope some new gen wins like Medvedev, Zverev, etc.

Nadal is not getting past Zverev and Medvedev. Even Kokkinakis, Khachanov, Hurkacz/Karatsev are too much for him. Even in his prime this draw would have been too much. 

12 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

Nadal is not getting past Zverev and Medvedev. Even Kokkinakis, Khachanov, Hurkacz/Karatsev are too much for him. Even in his prime this draw would have been too much. 

Its not as clear as you think. Med/Zed could lose before reaching Nadal too and if the draw opens up for him, he is in contention. Its known that Nadal has been lucky on more than one occasion. Turning a lucky break into a grand slam win requires talent and mental strength but he has been more lucky than Federer or Djokovic. Of the four you mentioned, I would think Hurkacz as most possible to give a fight to Nadal. Others not so much.

11 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Its not as clear as you think. Med/Zed could lose before reaching Nadal too and if the draw opens up for him, he is in contention. Its known that Nadal has been lucky on more than one occasion. Turning a lucky break into a grand slam win requires talent and mental strength but he has been more lucky than Federer or Djokovic. Of the four you mentioned, I would think Hurkacz as most possible to give a fight to Nadal. Others not so much.

Let's see. I don't believe Nadal has it in him to win on HCs these days, especially a tournament which he has been cursed throughout his career. 

Nadal probably believes he can win it and is happy Djokovic is not playing but he is in for a rude awakening if he thinks Djokovic is his only competition.

But yes luck factor can play. If his top opponents get COVID and have to withdraw, then Nadal is the favourite with no one to stop him, since he had Covid last month. 

3 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

Let's see. I don't believe Nadal has it in him to win on HCs these days, especially a tournament which he has been cursed throughout his career. 

Nadal probably believes he can win it and is happy Djokovic is not playing but he is in for a rude awakening if he thinks Djokovic is his only competition.

But yes luck factor can play. If his top opponents get COVID and have to withdraw, then Nadal is the favourite with no one to stop him, since he had Covid last month. 

see that's the kinda luck I'm talking about. 2019 USo was one such tournament. everyone who was a threat to him was on the other end of the draw and got eliminated before the final and a noob Medvedev faced him. He had another noob Berretni in the SF. ombeliebable, no?

see that's the kinda luck I'm talking about. 2019 USo was one such tournament. everyone who was a threat to him was on the other end of the draw and got eliminated before the final and a noob Medvedev faced him. He had another noob Berretni in the SF. ombeliebable, no?

2017 was even worse. It was Roger's to win, but the draw was screwed by Murray withdrawing in the last minute.

I thought you were a Rafa fan?

I dislike both Rafa and Nole. They are interchangeable for me depending on the day and according to situations. 

10 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

2017 was even worse. It was Roger's to win, but the draw was screwed by Murray withdrawing in the last minute.

I thought you were a Rafa fan?

I dislike both Rafa and Nole. They are interchangeable for me depending on the day and according to situations. 

I'm a Federer fan who had Rafa as my second favorite. Now Nole has replaced Rafa in that category. With the way Rafa has been acting towards Nole in 2021 and especially over the past few days, Rafa has plummeted in my eyes. Nole's game is the most mechanical and boring but I like him for his stance on vacc and the way he is stubborn in the face of criticism. He gives the most real interviews whereas Fed and Rafa are more diplomatic. I can relate more with Nole. Nole is slowly growing up on me. I may even put him above Fed if he sticks to his stance. Fed is freinds with Bill Gates which is a minus point for him.

Fed is the trailblazer and he put 20 slams as a barometer which no one has achieved. Nole followed his path and exceeded in many categories. You can't fault him for doing that.

8 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

I'm a Federer fan who had Rafa as my second favorite. Now Nole has replaced Rafa in that category. With the way Rafa has been acting towards Nole in 2021 and especially over the past few days, Rafa has plummeted in my eyes. Nole's game is the most mechanical and boring but I like him for his stance on vacc and the way he is stubborn in the face of criticism. He gives the most real interviews whereas Fed and Rafa are more diplomatic. I can relate more with Nole. Nole is slowly growing up on me. I may even put him above Fed if he sticks to his stance. Fed is freinds with Bill Gates which is a minus point for him.

Fed is the trailblazer and he put 20 slams as a barometer which no one has achieved. Nole followed his path and exceeded in many categories. You can't fault him for doing that.

Federer is Swiss. And swiss are known to be the most neutral and diplomatic. Federer tried to be as neutral and diplomatic as possible. Which is much tougher to do than taking a stance. Anyone can take a stance ,but to be neutral and diplomatic and still maintain a positive public opinion and image of the person is tougher.

18 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

Federer is Swiss. And swiss are known to be the most neutral and diplomatic. Federer tried to be as neutral and diplomatic as possible. Which is much tougher to do than taking a stance. Anyone can take a stance ,but to be neutral and diplomatic and still maintain a positive public opinion and image of the person is tougher.

Its tough no doubt but with all that diplomacy, sometimes truth is hidden. How many injuries/niggles that Fed has had where he hasn't spoken out about for the fear that he is giving excuses. IMO his body is more dinged up than say Nadal who always claims injuries when he loses. Even Djokovic does that but Nadal is often quoted as injured.

Djokovic does a lot of faux pas in the press but he appears genuine. He also said the grand slam record is what he is after whereas Nadal tried to act cool - "so what if your neighbot has a bigger house". But it looks fake now because of how he's been on novak's case. I'm sure Nadal also wants that record only he is not so open with it.

Like I said, draw opening up for Nadal. Dude is a lucky guy I tell ya. Hurkacz, no.10 seed and potential R4 opponent went down in straights to Mannarino who will be a bunny to Nadal. Khachanov his R3 opponent can't even beat Cilic.I doubt he would trouble Nadal. Medvedev has a banana peel match tomorrow v kyrgios. zverve has to beat either shapo or opelka to book a QF meeting v nadal. THat's not going to be easy. Yet Nadal has it easy until the QF. If Zverev doesn't make it, its even more easier.

10 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Like I said, draw opening up for Nadal. Dude is a lucky guy I tell ya. Hurkacz, no.10 seed and potential R4 opponent went down in straights to Mannarino who will be a bunny to Nadal. Khachanov his R3 opponent can't even beat Cilic.I doubt he would trouble Nadal. Medvedev has a banana peel match tomorrow v kyrgios. zverve has to beat either shapo or opelka to book a QF meeting v nadal. THat's not going to be easy. Yet Nadal has it easy until the QF. If Zverev doesn't make it, its even more easier.

Khachanov has always troubled Nadal, never gonna win, but enough to take the legs out of him, particularly with Karatsev and Zverev looming.

Khachanov-Karatsev-Zverev-Berretini/Alcaraz-Medvedev/Tsitsipas/Rublev is a nightmare draw for Nadal even in his prime. 

Even if half of the potential opponents never make it, it's still tough for current Nadal. 

Edited by I6MTW

21 hours ago, I6MTW said:

Khachanov has always troubled Nadal, never gonna win, but enough to take the legs out of him, particularly with Karatsev and Zverev looming.

Khachanov-Karatsev-Zverev-Berretini/Alcaraz-Medvedev/Tsitsipas/Rublev is a nightmare draw for Nadal even in his prime. 

Even if half of the potential opponents never make it, it's still tough for current Nadal. 

Khachanov at best is gonna win at most one set. I predict a straight set win for Nadal. Karatsev is not going to cross Mannarino. Karatsev has been playing poorly and Mannarino is a difficult customer as hurkacz found out. Mannarino is someone who hits with zero spin and loosely strung racquets. So even with a short takeback, he can produce speeds that will surprise someone not used to it. And his lefty serve in the ad court is nasty. The righty opponent has to cover the wide slider so he will stand slightly wide but that exposes the middle and Mannarino hits a T serve for an ace. This frustrated even Federer in Wim and Hurkacz in the last round. However, Nadal will handle him very well. I expect Mannarino to win v Karatsev and lose easily to Nadal. His first tough matchup will be in quarters. If someone takes Zverev out or Nadal himself takes him out, the SF is also easy with the absence of Djokovic, only Berretini is left. Berretini is easy for Nadal. So basically only Zverev and Medvedev are the only threats to 21 grand slams

Khachanov at best is gonna win at most one set. I predict a straight set win for Nadal. Karatsev is not going to cross Mannarino. Karatsev has been playing poorly and Mannarino is a difficult customer as hurkacz found out. Mannarino is someone who hits with zero spin and loosely strung racquets. So even with a short takeback, he can produce speeds that will surprise someone not used to it. And his lefty serve in the ad court is nasty. The righty opponent has to cover the wide slider so he will stand slightly wide but that exposes the middle and Mannarino hits a T serve for an ace. This frustrated even Federer in Wim and Hurkacz in the last round. However, Nadal will handle him very well. I expect Mannarino to win v Karatsev and lose easily to Nadal. His first tough matchup will be in quarters. If someone takes Zverev out or Nadal himself takes him out, the SF is also easy with the absence of Djokovic, only Berretini is left. Berretini is easy for Nadal. So basically only Zverev and Medvedev are the only threats to 21 grand slams

Don't count out Tsitsipas and Alcaraz. The kid is developing faster by the minute. 

36 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

Don't count out Tsitsipas and Alcaraz. The kid is developing faster by the minute. 

Yes mostly Alcaraz. I rate him to do great things in the future. Maybe this tournament is too much for him. That said he defeated Berretini in Austria recently I think. That was bo3 and Berry had a abdominal issue. bo5 is a different animal but that game tomorrow will be a great one. Probably the match of the day for me. tsitsipas is meh. he can play great in clay. sinner can trouble him. either way, he is in medvedev's section so only one of them can meet Nadal.

Hope Nadal has special praise for Alex Hawke prepared in his acceptance speech when he picks up the trophy. He should be eternally grateful to Hawke for handing him the slam that breaks the tie and also ensuring that Djokovic is never able to win another Australian Open thanks to the 3-year ban. Hawke, you have decided what the game of tennis should have decided. Politics won over sport.

3 minutes ago, Texan said:

Hope Nadal has special praise for Alex Hawke prepared in his acceptance speech when he picks up the trophy. He should be eternally grateful to Hawke for handing him the slam that breaks the tie and also ensuring that Djokovic is never able to win another Australian Open thanks to the 3-year ban. Hawke, you have decided what the game of tennis should have decided. Politics won over sport.

Let's wait until he reaches the final, Zverev and Medvedev are his biggest threats now, with Tsitsipas a close third. 

21 hours ago, Texan said:

lol nadal should actually do that. what's funny is djokovic who is covid free is banned just because he did not take those shots and a few players who had covid last week and are double vacced took a few days off of practice and turned up to play. Kyrgios for one is a good example. Nadal had the disease in december. so its not really a health issue as Hawke himself said the reason for not allowing Djokovic was to prevent aussies from exercising their right to deny vaccines. So its politics and authoritarian in nature. absolute mindfvck is going on in aussieland