10 Favorite Films

zen

The Sea Wolf (1941) based on the Jack London book, directed by Michael Curtiz and starring Edward Robinson in the title role and supported by a talented cast. it is a unique seafaring adventure film with psychological elements and a side love story ... The foggy night cinematography set the atmosphere for the film ... It needs to be watched in the restored print:

theseawolf1941.89336.1.jpg

Updated List 2 candidates:

* Morocco (1930)

* Pepe le Moko (1937)
Love Affair (1939) 

* The Sea Wolf (1941)

* Mississippi Mermaid (1968)

* Death on the Nile (1978) 

* Dances with Wolves (1990)

* The English Patient (1996) 

* Kingdom of Heaven Director’s Cut (2005)

* Zack Snyder’s Justice League (2021)

^ now the candidates list has 10 films so if/when other films come to light, some of above will drop out ... This list appears to be leaning towards relatively hidden gems (or maybe films not at the top of the mind recall) and an adventure theme 

Edited by zen

Suddenly, Last Summer (1959) directed by Joseph Mankiewicz, and starring Katherine Hepburn, Elizabeth Taylor, & Montgomery Clift.    

I keep revisiting this film from time to time. Saw it this week as well and was again mesmerized by the acting, the score, and the creepy theme where Hepburn wants Taylor to have lobotomy, the reasons for which are revealed dramatically. It is a unique film! Probably, my favorite Elizabeth Taylor film as well. 

Edited by zen

On 5/22/2022 at 10:01 AM, zen said:

Suddenly, Last Summer (1959) directed by Joseph Mankiewicz, and starring Katherine Hepburn, Elizabeth Taylor, & Montgomery Clift.    

I keep revisiting this film from time to time. Saw it this week as well and was again mesmerized by the acting, the score, and the creepy theme where Hepburn wants Taylor to have lobotomy, the reasons for which are revealed dramatically. It is a unique film! Probably, my favorite Elizabeth Taylor film as well. 

it is a captivating although uneven film. Mank (the director) is one of my favs - very underrated and versatile. interesting, although somewhat far-fetched plot. the acting is spell-binding, with a gorgeous liz taylor in her swimsuit scene.

5 minutes ago, Vijy said:

it is a captivating although uneven film. Mank (the director) is one of my favs - very underrated and versatile. interesting, although somewhat far-fetched plot. the acting is spell-binding, with a gorgeous liz taylor in her swimsuit scene.

The film did well because of that swim suit scene too (though normal by today’s standards)

There was a film called the Deep (1977) which is said to have benefitted from Jacqueline Bisset in a wet white t-shirt 

Just now, zen said:

The film did well because of that swim suit scene too (though normal by today’s standards)

There was a film called the Deep (1977) which is said to have benefitted from Jacqueline Bisset in a wet white t-shirt 

yes, very tame by today's standards but it was very sensual for that time (or for any time IMO).

On 5/19/2022 at 7:56 AM, zen said:

The Sea Wolf (1941) based on the Jack London book, directed by Michael Curtiz and starring Edward Robinson in the title role and supported by a talented cast. it is a unique seafaring adventure film with psychological elements and a side love story ... The foggy night cinematography set the atmosphere for the film ... It needs to be watched in the restored print:

theseawolf1941.89336.1.jpg

haven't seen this one, but I am a big fan of both the underrated curtiz (esp. casablanca) and robinson

The Counterfeit Traitor (1962) ... Starring William Holden ... Based on the true story of a Swedish businessman recruited by the allies to spy on the Nazis ... Shot on actual locations ... It is based on the non fiction book by the same name 

I like this film as I am into this genre.  A spy thriller with a bit Hitchcockian and true elements blended in: 

Conan the Barbarian (1982) … a beast of a barbarian movie in the sword & sorcery genre

Nice locations in Spain, good background score, raw atmosphere, and Arnold and James Earl Jones, make it one of the memorable films in this genre 

Edited by zen

For the List 2, there are 13 candidates so far, therefore let me add two more and then shortlist to 10:

Ninotchka (1939) - Greta Garbo, an uncompromising comrade, in the romantic Paris.

Journey to Italy (1954) - A good example of Italian neorealism. The sense of adventure comes both from the travel & relationship aspects 

15 candidates 

* Morocco (1930)

* Pepe le Moko (1937)
Love Affair (1939) 

* Ninotchka (1939)

* The Sea Wolf (1941)

* Journey to Italy (1954)

* Suddenly, Last Summer (1959)

* The Counterfeit Traitor (1962)

* Conan the Barbarian (1982) 

Time to short list to 10! 

Edited by zen

List 2 - adventure theme, hidden gems, films not necessarily at the top of the mind recall relatively speaking, etc.  ... In the order of release: 

• Morocco (1930) - for Dietrich & Gary Cooper's style & performance. Locations in Morocco & the ending make this a film with a high repeat value.
  • Pepe le Moko (1937) - an example of poetic realism. The setting is the Casbah in Algiers. A film noir film before film noir were called film noir. Remade as Algiers & an inspiration for films like Casablanca too. 
  • Love Affair (1939) - from an untimely affair on a cruise ship to its famous climax, the film remains engaging. Remade as An Affair to Remember & in Bollywood as Mann. 
  • Ninotchka (1939) - Greta Garbo, an uncompromising comrade, in the romantic and capitalist Paris. 
  • The Sea Wolf (1941) - a seafaring adventure film. Excellent B&W photography enhanced by a foggy atmosphere. 
  • Journey to Italy (1954) - an example of Italian neorealism. It is both a travel & relationship journey.  
  • Suddenly, Last Summer (1959) - included for its unique story adapted from Tennessee Williams' play and intense acting by Katherine Hepburn & Elizabeth Taylor. 
  • The Counterfeit Traitor (1962) - an WW2 espionage film based on real events. Shot at many of the actual locations in Europe. 
  • Mississippi Mermaid (1968) - Catherine Deneuve & Jean-Paul Belmondo meet on the Reunion Island. 
  • Death on the Nile (1978) - there were like 7 Hercule Poirot films released in the 70s-80s, 6 of them starred Peter Ustinov. These films are characterized by a star studded cast, exotic locations, and a good score & cinematography, along with bringing an Agatha Christie mystery to life. Death on the Nile is one of the finest examples. David Suchet & Kenneth Branagh's versions of Poirot are equally interesting. 

Edited by zen

On 6/4/2022 at 12:04 AM, zen said:

For the List 2, there are 13 candidates so far, therefore let me add two more and then shortlist to 10:

Ninotchka (1939) - Greta Garbo, an uncompromising comrade, in the romantic Paris.

Journey to Italy (1954) - A good example of Italian neorealism. The sense of adventure comes both from the travel & relationship aspects 

15 candidates 

* Morocco (1930)

* Pepe le Moko (1937)
Love Affair (1939) 

* Ninotchka (1939)

* The Sea Wolf (1941)

* Journey to Italy (1954)

* Suddenly, Last Summer (1959)

* The Counterfeit Traitor (1962)

* Conan the Barbarian (1982) 

Time to short list to 10! 

ninotchka should certainly be there. one of lubitsch's many wonderful films, although my fav is his masterpiece (subjective viewpoint of course): the Shop around the corner.

In my summer break watched some old classics

Meet John Doe

It’s a wonderful life

Citizen Kane

North by Notthwest (Hitchcock)

Seven Samurai

Ikuru

Unforgiven (Audrey Hepburn)

Marathon Man (Hoffman)

2001 - A Space Odyssey

Lillies in the field (Sidney Poitier)

For Guilty pleasure, watched all Dirty Harry series movie

Dirty Harry

Magnum Force

The Enforcer

Sudden Impact

Dead Pool (has cameos of Jim Carrey and Liam Neesan)

Musicals is not one of my favorite genres though some of my favorites films are musicals or related to musicals - The Pirate (1948), Red Shoes (1948), King Creole (1958), Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964), Sound of Music (1965), and many more to varying degrees. 

Recently, reconnected with Singin' in the Rain (1952) after a long time. This one continues to be a stunner, a film about films too! ... I love watching Gene Kelly:

On 7/16/2022 at 8:50 PM, zen said:

Musicals is not one of my favorite genres though some of my favorites films are musicals or related to musicals - The Pirate (1948), Red Shoes (1948), King Creole (1958), Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964), Sound of Music (1965), and many more to varying degrees. 

Recently, reconnected with Singin' in the Rain (1952) after a long time. This one continues to be a stunner, a film about films too! ... I love watching Gene Kelly:

musicals are one of my fav genres, although I don't watch them as often as before