10 Favorite Films

zen

1 minute ago, zen said:

Kubrick tried his hand at multiple genres and each of his effort in those genre is pretty solid. Which is why many may have a different opinion on Kubrick based on the film they see.

Many of his films also require you to be in the right mood - I mean I can’t just put on 2001 (like a masala film) and watch. I have plan to watch it and also be in the right (focused) mood for it. 

The Killing, Paths of Glory, Spartacus, Dr. Strangelove, 2001, and Barry Lyndon are all solid. I have Spartacus, Dr. Strangelove and 2001 in 4K HDR, and Barry Lyndon on Criterion blu-ray. I also have a book on Kubrick films. 

indeed, this is true for most of his films from "2001" onward. however, new initiates into kubrick should start with more straightforward films like the Killing or paths or glory.

I am watching Black Narcissus (2020), the mini TV series. If you compare it with the original film, it is average. However, if you look past the comparisons with the original film (which also shines because of its stellar starcast - Kerr, Sabu, Farrar, Simmons, etc,), the TV series is not a bad time pass (and it will also make you value the original film more)

1 hour ago, zen said:

I am watching Black Narcissus (2020), the mini TV series. If you compare it with the original film, it is average. However, if you look past the comparisons with the original film (which also shines because of its stellar starcast - Kerr, Sabu, Farrar, Simmons, etc,), the TV series is not a bad time pass (and it will also make you value the original film more)

haven't seen it, and do not plan to see it since I'd rather rewatch the original as many times as needed. to add to this list of striking actresses, kathleen byron was fantastic as that nun too

For reference, some candidates for a future list (from those watched/rewatched recently) in the order of release: 

* Love Affair (1939) - remade as An Affair to Remember and Mann

* Death on the Nile 1978) - yet to watch the latest 2022 version 

* Dances with Wolves (1990)

* The English Patient (1996) 

On 2/22/2022 at 11:22 PM, zen said:

For reference, some candidates for a future list (from those watched/rewatched recently) in the order of release: 

* Love Affair (1939) - remade as An Affair to Remember and Mann

* Death on the Nile 1978) - yet to watch the latest 2022 version 

* The English Patient (1996) 

love affair is great. by the underrated McCay. Have not seen '78 death on the nile.

the last two entries are some of the fine(st) films from the 90s.

14 minutes ago, Vijy said:

love affair is great. by the underrated McCay. Have not seen '78 death on the nile.

the last two entries are some of the fine(st) films from the 90s.

Death on the Nile is on Criterion

Now planning to  rewatch Cleopatra (1963) on Criterion in parts as it is 4 hrs long. 

2 hours ago, zen said:

Death on the Nile is on Criterion

Now planning to  rewatch Cleopatra (1963) on Criterion in parts as it is 4 hrs long. 

yes, that's one long movie. not one of my favs among mankiewicz's films, who was one of the ATGs IMO.

On 1/13/2022 at 5:40 PM, zen said:

@Mariyam @coffee_rules @ravishingravi

Guys if you have your favorite 10 list, let's see it :dance: ... It is a favorite list so can be anything that connects with you and/or has high repeat value!

Across genre is tough to pick, sometimes I like movies based on the mood.

In any case,  impulsively. without caring for movie critics' favs or elite lists, my  top 10 favorite films are,

1. Godfather: Mario Puzo's writing , direction, acting, BGM, great ensemble. Feels like going to a concert where everything is perfect

2. City Lights = Wholesome entertainment, greating acting, emotions and the best silent film I enjoyed in a theatre full of people

3. Good. Bad and Ugly - Best western template, Ennio Morricone and Clint Eastwood = evergreen

4. LOTR series - Great visuals. direction . BGS and acting - best in my fantasy list.

5. LA Confidential - Noir template, everybody has a dark side, but great telling/narration, acting and satisfying poetic justice in the end

6. Angoor - Best in comedy series, Gulzar's direction and writing, songs, acting and best of Sanjeev Kumar

7. Raging Bull: There are more popular Martin Scorcese movies like Goodfellas, Departed, etc., but my fav is this movie. Robert De Niro excels in this and great script

8 Great Escape - Best in war movies, kind of elementary in writing, but making a tragic story a wholesome entertainment and getting a great cast in one movie, better than Longest Day. But. Holocaust and war is much more brutal as depicted in Schilnder's List

9. Sound of Music - Best musical , although My Fair Lady appeals to me in acting, but I repeatedly watch it to feel good and to uplift mood.

10. Omen I - in Horror, altho least favorite of genres , I liked this movie for acting and some good thrills. Damien still haunts me. though. I have been scared of little boys and girls after watching this movie, innocence can be adorable as well as haunting. Horror can be made more classy and scary, without blood, gore and green projectile vomit.

Edited by coffee_rules

5 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Across genre is tough to pick, sometimes I like movies based on the mood.

In any case,  impulsively. without caring for movie critics' favs or elite lists, my  top 10 favorite films are,

1. Godfather: Mario Puzo's writing , direction, acting, BGM, great ensemble. Feels like going to a concert where everything is perfect

2. City Lights = Wholesome entertainment, greating acting, emotions and the best silent film I enjoyed in a theatre full of people

3. Good. Bad and Ugly - Best western template, Ennio Morricone and Clint Eastwood = evergreen

4. LOTR series - Great visuals. direction . BGS and acting - best in my fantasy list.

5. LA Confidential - Noir template, everybody has a dark side, but great telling/narration, acting and satisfying poetic justice in the end

6. Angoor - Best in comedy series, Gulzar's direction and writing, songs, acting and best of Sanjeev Kumar

7. Raging Bull: There are more popular Martin Scorcese movies like Goodfellas, Departed, etc., but my fav is this movie. Robert De Niro excels in this and great script

8 Great Escape - Best in war movies, kind of elementary in writing, but making a tragic story a wholesome entertainment and getting a great cast in one movie, better than Longest Day. But. Holocaust and war is much more brutal as depicted in Schilnder's List

9. Sound of Music - Best musical , although My Fair Lady appeals to me in acting, but I repeatedly watch it to feel good and to uplift mood.

10. Omen I - in Horror, altho least favorite of genres , I liked this movie for acting and some good thrills. Damien still haunts me. though. I have been scared of little boys and girls after watching this movie, innocence can be adorable as well as haunting. Horror can be made more classy and scary, without blood, gore and green projectile vomit.

most of these bring back fond memories for me as well. Especially glad to see "City Lights". one of chaplin's greatest and most undervalued films... that closing sequence when the flower girl recognises the Tramp is extraordinary

Talking about 1990s, it had many excellent films winning the best picture Oscar:

1990 -> Dances with Wolves
1991 -> Silence of the Lambs
1992 -> Unforgiven
1993 -> Schindler’s List
1994 -> Forrest Gump
1995 -> Braveheart
1996 -> The English Patient
1997 -> Titanic
1998 -> Shakespeare in Love (Life is Beautiful was also nominated)
1999 -> American Beauty

10 hours ago, zen said:

Talking about 1990s, it had many excellent films winning the best picture Oscar:

1990 -> Dances with Wolves
1991 -> Silence of the Lambs
1992 -> Unforgiven
1993 -> Schindler’s List
1994 -> Forrest Gump
1995 -> Braveheart
1996 -> The English Patient
1997 -> Titanic
1998 -> Shakespeare in Love (Life is Beautiful was also nominated)
1999 -> American Beauty

I like most of them, but only Unforgiven is an ATG in my book.

Talking about films that have improved significantly by their "Director's Cut": 

One is Zack Snyder's Justice League, which has been discussed here

Another one is Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut. I have liked KoH due to its score, cinematography, action, & its theme for the supremacy for Jerusalem. However, despite being 144 mins long, it can feel rushed, suffering in character development including not touching on characters’ motivations. Y'day, I tried to rewatch it after a long time on D+ (in 4K HDR) but had to skim through it because you tend to get a sense that it has been edited heavily, where you could lose interest in it in certain segments. 

I had heard positive things about its Director's Cut, so rather waste time on the theatrical version, I immediately ordered its blu-ray (4K UHD disc not released yet), which I received today. Once I started watching it, I felt the difference straightaway. The characters are developed relatively better with their motivation highlighted. For e.g. in the theatrical version, you see Balian kill his half brother, which can feel out of nowhere. In the director's cut, the half-brother's part is extended where you understand why Balian takes the action. There is an interesting story angle of Sibylla’s son, which is omitted in the theatrical version. There are many extended scenes as well for e.g. Saladin in Jerusalem and so on, which add to the experience. The issue with KoH was not that it needed to be shorter but longer as per the director's vision and intent.

The extra 50 minutes (194 mins of run time) provides much needed depth to the film, turning it into a drama + action film rather than mostly an action one. Like ZSJL, KoH is an example of a film that improves significantly once the studio steps away and allows the director to showcase his vision. KoH Director's Cut now feels like a superb epic! 

Edited by zen

6 hours ago, zen said:

Talking about films that have improved significantly by their "Director's Cut": 

One is Zack Snyder's Justice League, which has been discussed here

Another one is Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut. I have liked KoH due to its score, cinematography, actions, & its theme for the  supremacy for Jerusalem. However, despite being 144 mins long, it can feel rushed, suffering in character development including not touching on characters’ motivations. Y'day, I tried it rewatch it after a long time on D+ (in 4K HDR) but had to skim through it because you tend to get a sense that it has been edited heavily, where you could lose interest in it in certain segments. 

I had heard positive things about its Director's Cut, so rather waste time on the theatrical version, I immediately ordered its blu-ray (4K UHD disc not released yet), which I received today. Once I started watching it, I felt the difference straightaway. The characters are developed relatively better with their motivation highlighted. For e.g. in the theatrical version, you see Balian kill his half brother, which can feel out of nowhere. In the director's cut, the half-brother's part is extended where you understand why Balian takes the action. There is an interesting story angle of Sibylla’s son, which is omitted in the theatrical version. There are many extended scenes as well for e.g. Saladin in Jerusalem and so on, which add to the experience. The issue with KoH was not that it needed to be shorter but longer as per the director's vision and intent.

The extra 50 minutes (194 mins of run time) provides much needed depth to the film, turning it into a drama + action film rather than mostly an action one. Like ZSJL, KoH is an example of a film that improves significantly once the studio steps away and allows the director to showcase his vision. KoH Director's Cut now feels like a superb epic! 

Heaven's Gate re-edit by Cimino is also amazing. I also like Blade Runner's subsequent cut(s). Lastly, the extended edition of "Lord of the Rings"

Death on the Nile (2022) is now available on D+. 

It is a visually pleasing film (though, like most modern films, it relies a lot onCGI) with a good cast. There are minor changes here and there from earlier versions including a probable out of syllabus backstory on Poirot’s moustache. Overall, most Poirot fans would dig it!

A few more candidates for a future list: 

Morocco (1930) starring Marlene Dietrich & Gary Cooper (like it for their chemistry) 

Pepe le Moko (1937) starring Jean Gabin 

Mississippi Mermaid (1969) starring Catherine Deneuve & Jean-Paul Belmondo 

Future list candidates so far: 

* Morocco (1930)

* Pepe le Moko (1937)
Love Affair (1939) 

* Mississippi Mermaid (1968)

* Death on the Nile (1978) 

* The English Patient (1996) 

* Kingdom of Heaven Director’s Cut (2005)

* Zack Snyder’s Justice League (2021)

Edited by zen

16 hours ago, zen said:

Future list candidates so far: 

* Morocco (1930)

* Pepe le Moko (1937)
Love Affair (1939) 

* Mississippi Mermaid (1968)

* Death on the Nile (1978) 

* The English Patient (1996) 

* Kingdom of Heaven Director’s Cut (2005)

* Zack Snyder’s Justice League (2021)

pepe le moko and love affair are both great films. vaguely remember seeing "morocco" but not much of it

2 minutes ago, Vijy said:

pepe le moko and love affair are both great films. vaguely remember seeing "morocco" but not much of it

I like those kind of films. They have the right mix of adventure, romance (per the topic), & drama ... The repeat value is tremendous for such films 

Morocco is on Criterion. Its ending is superb.

Just now, zen said:

I like those kind of films. They have the right mix of adventure, romance (per the topic), & drama ... The repeat value is tremendous for such films 

Morocco is on Criterion. Its ending is superb.

I have the criterion subscription, so I will check it out sometime. those old films with marlene are fun to watch