Lessons learnt from Pujara and Rahane’s mediocre career?

Vancouver

4 hours ago, SRT100 said:

I forgot the cricketer who played for India and got a triple and was dropped.

Sure he ended up being be able to continue that form, but just how much did the BCCI and TM contribute to this by dumping instead of rewarding him.

Iyer's century should have rubber stamped him for the first test. Instead we went with a batsmen who was finished a few years back instead.

Its demoralizing for the player and not to mention the fans.

Karun Nair

8 hours ago, MechEng said:

Let's not bash Pujara and Rahane like that, they are people too an probably are going through low phase in their careers. Not to forget how both played crucial roles in winning in Australia.

Let's hope both retire and remember all the great things they have done. Also note that batting talent in India is not that abundant that makes Pujara and Rahane easily replaceable, we are still living mentally in fab 5 era and thinking that a world class batsman will show up at anytime in India.

That BS argument is reason for their consistent backing despite failures

Pujara did fine and then lost form. He acheived and repayed the faith, no one can  take away that absolute grinding of Aussies in their home, that look of defeat when he and Pant ground peak starc cummins hazel and lyon into the ground, cherished memory. But now it's time to go for Pujara. 

Rahane he was an admirable stand in captain yes but he was always mediocre. 

Just now, Vilander said:

Pujara did fine and then lost form. He acheived and repayed the faith, no one can  take away that absolute grinding of Aussies in their home, that look of defeat when he and Pant ground peak starc cummins hazel and lyon into the ground, cherished memory. But now it's time to go for Pujara. 

Rahane he was an admirable stand in captain yes but he was always mediocre. 

mediocre in his last 50 tests, excellent in his first 30 tests

Edited by Vijy

They weren’t mediocre but they weren’t ATG either even the Indian all time XI.

and pujara gave away a lot of runs back in the field. The opposition has no problems hitting the ball straight to him and running for quick singles. He can’t stop boundaries. Even in tests, you have to hide him in the field. When he bats, he can’t take quick singles. He can’t turn twos into threes. He’s a very limited player in that regards. He’s had some awesome knocks but otherwise he’s been average.

Rahane just flat out sucks. Can’t stand him.

Pujara and Rahane were not bad selections at that time. I still remember raving about their first class averages when they made their debut. If we can learn anything, it’s about shelf lives if cricketers. Both Pujara and Rahane were done in 2021. They’re now past it and they still make an odd good score here and there because they’re trained well in first class. We should blood first class performers and also important to track their performances and groom backups so we can play them whenever possible. 

overall, Chepu has had a fine career. SC beast and 1 bonanza series in Oz with some useful contributions in other overseas series. However, his abilities declined sharply thanks to knee issues in past 3 yrs. Rahane was excellent in 30 tests and was really poor for about 50 tests; should have been dropped a while ago

To be fair, even though their average had dipped a lot, they had some crucial contributions in matches when it really mattered. Rahane's ton at MCG after 36 All out, Pujara's knock in Gabba test, Pujara-Rahane partnership in Lord's test, just to name a few. They would always score just enough runs at the right time to make sure they got an extended run. 

I would rather have a Pujara who steps up to win India its first series in Aus (scoring 3 100s with 500+ runs) against a top class attack)after multiple attempts since 1947/8, than have a group of batsmen who bash Eng, etc., line up to play against BD, and fail (apart from hitting a 100 here and there like Pant hit in a nothing to lose situation) against high quality attacks,  ... 

That performance in Aus is alone worth 10 series if not more. Look at the inning here at Adelaide  for e.g. - Link 

Give me a Pujara and a Sehwag anyday over the stats padders :hatsoff:

Edited by zen

Controversial opinion : Even though they were average or just above-average overall, they have played more clutch knocks in tests than the 3 big men of Indian cricket :Kohli + Dhoni and (sadly) Rohit put together.

Pujara’s knocks in Australia, his epic knock opening the batting in Srilanka and a couple of other clutch knocks at home vs England and Australia when he was in his peak came in real back to the wall situations .

Rahane’s knocks in Lords,MCG, home series vs Australia were legendary.

Lets not demean them just because they are in their twilight. Yes they overstayed their welcome but why blame them? Which player in the world will tell selectors not to pick him unless you are Hardik Pandya.

2 hours ago, zen said:

I would rather have a Pujara who steps up to win India its first series in Aus (scoring 3 100s with 500+ runs) against a top class attack)after multiple attempts since 1947/8, than have a group of batsmen who bash Eng, etc., line up to play against BD, and fail (apart from hitting a 100 here and there like Pant hit in a nothing to lose situation) against high quality attacks,  ... 

That performance in Aus is alone worth 10 series if not more. Look at the inning here at Adelaide  for e.g. - Link 

Give me a Pujara and a Sehwag anyday over the stats padders :hatsoff:

Are you saying that you will rather have a Pujara than SRT in test matches. 

That's outrageous to say the least. Sure, SRT may not have won a test series in Aus/sa, but he won series against England and NZ.

42 minutes ago, sarcastic said:

Are you saying that you will rather have a Pujara than SRT in test matches. 

That's outrageous to say the least. Sure, SRT may not have won a test series in Aus/sa, but he won series against England and NZ.

I guess you might be a bit new to the forum. Zen would pick Chepu over any other Indian batter, except for perhaps Sunny (?). Greatest batter of last 30 yr in his book (?)

Edited by Vijy
19 minutes ago, Vijy said:

I guess you might be a bit new to the forum. Zen would pick Chepu over any other Indian batter, except for perhaps Sunny (?). Greatest batter of last 30 yr in his book (?)

My favorite Indian test batsman is Sehwag as I like that style of play ... My picks for the top 4 batting slots would be Gavaskar, Sehwag, Pujara & Sachin for different reasons 

Sachin, I rate him as the most loved and talented batsman to play for India. He has a wide fan base eager to show that he is the best. Sachin has no major weaknesses technically speaking. 

Edited by zen