Kohli steps down as Test captain

I feel he planned to give up his test captaincy when he was removed from odi captaincy. His ego was badly hurt. He couldn't give up before important SA tour immediately so he remained as captain. He would have resigned as captain even if he would have won the series (then it would have been even bigger surprise). I doubt ganguly or BCCI had any role to play with his test captaincy at least. Now he has public sympathy against ganguly & selectors and i won't be surprised if he retires from one or two format soon. This is gonna get worse from here.

Edited by Nikola
6 hours ago, Nikola said:

I feel he planned to give up his test captaincy when he was removed from odi captaincy. His ego was badly hurt. He couldn't give up before important SA tour immediately so he remained as captain. He would have resigned as captain even if he would have won the series (then it would have been even bigger surprise). I doubt ganguly or BCCI had any role to play with his test captaincy at least. Now he has public sympathy against ganguly & selectors and i won't be surprised if he retires from one or two format soon. This is gonna get worse from here.

it is quite plausible he will retire in the coming yrs from most forms of int'l cricket.

12 minutes ago, LordPrabhzy said:

If his form doesn't pick up- i have a feeling he will retire from white ball cricket by end of 2022 and test cricket by end of 2023... i hope he doesn't stretch like Sachin did just to get the 100th 100

100 100s are far away in kohli's case. even sacchu should have just gotten to his 100th 100 in Pak SF '11 (given all the chances he got) and retired after WC

Edited by Vijy
12 hours ago, LordPrabhzy said:

If his form doesn't pick up- i have a feeling he will retire from white ball cricket by end of 2022 and test cricket by end of 2023... i hope he doesn't stretch like Sachin did just to get the 100th 100

will definitely play WC 23. Might retire from T20s soon

The South African series debacle has hurt him more than anything else. 

Simply put, Virat the batter couldn't come to the rescue of Virat the Captain.

He will remain aloof in the team, and thats not gonna help him to survive for a long time

The only thing that can redeem him, is playing WC23, and hoping that somehow India lifts the ICC trophy 

That will bring closure to this saga!

2 hours ago, afan said:

The South African series debacle has hurt him more than anything else. 

Simply put, Virat the batter couldn't come to the rescue of Virat the Captain.

He will remain aloof in the team, and thats not gonna help him to survive for a long time

The only thing that can redeem him, is playing WC23, and hoping that somehow India lifts the ICC trophy 

That will bring closure to this saga!

He was oblivious to the fact batting was the problem. He never openly admitted as much as he did this time. So he was part of the problem not the solution. Any noob can point out where the issue lies, how the balance is all messed up. Bowlers helped him get away with his errors. Moment they were a no show his strategy was exposed

9 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

He was oblivious to the fact batting was the problem. He never openly admitted as much as he did this time. So he was part of the problem not the solution. Any noob can point out where the issue lies, how the balance is all messed up. Bowlers helped him get away with his errors. Moment they were a no show his strategy was exposed

reminds me of the tale of emperor's new "clothes"

On 1/16/2022 at 7:54 PM, Nikola said:

If performance remains below par , how he not playing  makes it worse ?. Its upto him to pull up the socks and perform better than others as is supposed to be the best player in the team. He is still the core player , what he does is totally on him.  Does not mean he can be in team without performance matching his stature.