Kohli steps down as Test captain

3 minutes ago, neel roy said:

I dont think how this will pan out. Maybe rohit will be test captain but whatever we saw of rahul i m not confident of his captaincy as yet

Rohit will be the interim captain in all formats before hopefully retiring post the 2023 WC (a bit earlier in tests after the current 2023 WTC cycle).

18-20 months of competition between Rahul, Pant and Iyer in the next two IPLs to show they can be the captain after that.

1 minute ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Rohit will be the interim captain in all formats before hopefully retiring post the 2023 WC (a bit earlier in tests after the current 2023 WTC cycle).

18-20 months of competition between Rahul, Pant and Iyer in the next two IPLs to show they can be the captain after that.

I think i ll givr Rohit till 2025. If Misbah can be at his best at 40 Rohit a better player than him and hunger to succeed can be the captain till 2025. He has immaculate defence now. 

If this was not forced then it's bit selfish & immature to give up in between. He should have continued till end of this WTC cycle. I hope he didn't give up cause of ego hurt after being removed from ODI captaincy.

Edited by Nikola
2 minutes ago, neel roy said:

I think i ll givr Rohit till 2025. If Misbah can be at his best at 40 Rohit a better player than him and hunger to succeed can be the captain till 2025. He has immaculate defence now. 

Misbah at 42 was way more fitter than Rohit is at 34. That's the difference. As a player, there is jo comparison, Rohit is far ahead of Misbah.

I do hope he has worked on his fitness in the last 3-4 weeks at NCA and shed some of that belly fat.

Damn! That was totally unexpected. An extremely sad and anti-climactic way to go. He has certainly lost favours with the BCCI. 

People on this forum are too harsh on him at times (or rather most times lol). He was the GOAT Indian test captain. Transformed our test bowling in ways no one had imagined. Was looking forward to him breaking the record for most test wins as captain. Sadly it not gonna happen. 

Good on Kohli. I sense selectors may have a word with him to not take away his captaincy the way they did in ODIs. Having said that, I'd be really pissed if they gave it to KL Rahul. Rohit or Ashwin can be stop gap captains while grooming Pant to take over for long term. Kohli can concentrate on his batting and not worry about captaincy which was a task that was holding him back with purane sucking. I would be over the moon if purane also "step down" from playing :--D

14 minutes ago, neel roy said:

He is still one batsmen who could if he wanted to be in pujara mode. Do you think a batting line up of gill vihari iyer pant will be able to win let alone draw any test in SENA

For some reason I believe our Test batting positions will take a while to settle.  We don't have next Aus/SA tour for quite a while.  Plenty of home fixtures & SL WI tours are lined up.  Exact time period we need to groom players like Gill Iyer Bihari or even Ruturaj who I think is ultimate dark horse when it comes to test spot soon. 

As much as I wanted it to happen still feel bad for him. Not sure whether he gave it up to send a message or because he truly felt his time was up. He will be looked at as the GOAT Asian test captain for sure imo. 

We have to try harder than just giving it to Rahul, until a few months ago he didn't even have a place in the team. Find an interim if you don't know who the long term successor is which could mean any of Ashwin, Bumrah or Sharma. If Rahane had had a decent series and kept his place he would have been handed the reins me thinks. 

Edited by rollingstoned