Kohli steps down as Test captain

25 minutes ago, Lord said:

Bumrah debuted under him and that itself changed the shape of our pace bowling.

What role did he have in Bumrah's career? A guy doing well in LOIs and in IPL with a very good FC record was always going to play tests for India. If anything, Bumrah's test debut was delayed by an year. He was ready to play tests  in 2016-17.

29 minutes ago, goose said:

one thing i don't see him get enough credit for is absolutely obliterating everyone at home. i know we are expected to but there have been numerous match situations that were touch and go

He plucked the low hanging fruit but went AWOL in tough series like the one in 2016 against Australia and last year's one against England. 

22 minutes ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

Think Kohli wont stay as a player as well for very long. I expect him to retire from all formats by 2024

Now that the cushion of captaincy is gone, if his batting form does not improve, do not be surprised to see him being dropped in the next 6-9 months and not play even the next T20 WC.

That press conference preceded by his social media army abusing BCCI before the SA series will haunt him forever. It has, in all probability, lost whatever little backing he could have got from some sections of the board.

5 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

What role did he have in Bumrah's career? A guy doing well in LOIs and in IPL with a very good FC record was always going to play tests for India. If anything, Bumrah's test debut was delayed by an year. He was ready to play tests  in 2016-17.

how is LOI and IPL relevant to Tests?

Bumrah wouldn't have played much under Dhoni as he preferred trundlers and ARs

I think it was Dravid who once said being captain of Indian team has a shelf life, because of the tremendous pressure and scrutiny that comes along with it. Very few people can handle it and it usually has a negative impact on one's batting. Dravid, Sachin, Ganguly all suffered as a result of it. I guess same happened to Kohli as well. Hopefully, now he can focus on his batting and become the batsman he once was. But whoever becomes captain now is screwed. lol

10 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

He has been a failure in that regard throughout his tenure. Remember Dhoni left the scene when he was certain Virat is ready to take over. And today we are all guessing who will be the next captain.

Exactly..Its more of a impulsive decision , probably he was pissed with BCCI/coach. Last month he wanted ODI captaincy and cried a river about it for not informing him, now he just wants to move away from tests captaincy too...Where is the plan for transition knowing very well that Rahane was VC all this year and his position is no longer tenable..Rohit has not captained a test so far...Rahul has been mediocre in one test..Very selfish from lolli..

In general, below is how I want captaincy period, esp. in countries like India where power can vest in a few hands: 

First be appointed as vice captain - 1 yr

Preliminary period as captain - 2 yrs

Extension - 2 yrs (Next identified captain now vice in the last yr of the captain)

Final extension only if the captain has performed well above expectations - 2 years. 

General captaincy  tenure 4 to 6 years (If an ATG level captain shows up, max tenure 8 years with no further extension under any circumstances) 

13 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Credit for Bumrah should go to Mumbai Indians. IIRC, it was their talent scout John Wright who identified him as a great talent. 

6 minutes ago, urbestfriend said:

Exactly..Its more of a impulsive decision , probably he was pissed with BCCI/coach. Last month he wanted ODI captaincy and cried a river about it for not informing him, now he just wants to move away from tests captaincy too...Where is the plan for transition knowing very well that Rahane was VC all this year and his position is no longer tenable..Rohit has not captained a test so far...Rahul has been mediocre in one test..Very selfish from lolli..

pretty sure hes sacked. Its not his decision.

Still remember How I was elated when Dhoni announced retirement in that Australia tour and Kohli was ready to take over. The memories of that Adelaide test is still fresh. We lost but everyone was hopeful for future with Kohli at helm. Obviously things do not pan out as we want but still he did good job. Absolutely beast with bat during 2016-2018 phase. Good luck champ for next few more years..