Education Thread - what are the new skills you are learning?

Austin 3:!6

I am tired of keeping a count of things that I had to lean in past 10-15 years. It is related to work and that is how we stay relevant. We all do it but I specifically enjoyed it so far. But lately it is getting bit too demanding.

In last 20 years I made 4 big transitions and every time, I had to learn no less than 5-6 new things. List is extremely long. 

2 hours ago, dial_100 said:

I am tired of keeping a count of things that I had to lean in past 10-15 years. It is related to work and that is how we stay relevant. We all do it but I specifically enjoyed it so far. But lately it is getting bit too demanding.

In last 20 years I made 4 big transitions and every time, I had to learn no less than 5-6 new things. List is extremely long. 

More details please.

Since Covid era I realized to learn skills for myself rather than a half baked skill to just get another job. 

I started learning how to play a keyboard/ synthesizer. Started off with YouTube videos and other apps but felt better to learn from a teacher. After 1.5 years of on and off learning, seems to have paid off a bit.

Not preaching but it is better to learn one skill just for yourself, I feel much happier.

Edited by maniac

22 minutes ago, maniac said:

Since Covid era I realized to learn skills for myself rather than a half baked skill to just get another job. 

I started learning how to play a keyboard/ synthesizer. Started off with YouTube videos and other apps but felt better to learn from a teacher. After 1.5 years of on and off learning, seems to have paid off a bit.

Not preaching but it is better to learn one skill just for yourself, I feel much happier.

Even I tried my hand in youtube videos...I even opened 3 channels :laugh:

Taking videos is easy but editing is a tough job :phew:

16 hours ago, maniac said:

Starting to learn the Keyboard myself. Have no background of music but excited nonetheless for the journey.

I am in to cyber security but would like to diversify so thinking about AI/Ml.Can anyone suggest how is the market and competition does learning itself would help in transition or it would require work ex in that area? Also does Data analytics required to be learn before AI/ML ?

20 minutes ago, raki05 said:

I am in to cyber security but would like to diversify so thinking about AI/Ml.Can anyone suggest how is the market and competition does learning itself would help in transition or it would require work ex in that area? Also does Data analytics required to be learn before AI/ML ?

Machine Learning models need to be trained. To train them one must  build large diverse training data sets. To that extent know how of data analytics is definitely important.

And if you are into cyber security,  the application of machine learning would be to automate detection of malware, and detect behaviors of ransomware of malware attacks much more efficiently.

The best cyber security firms increasingly use Machine learning.

2 hours ago, R!TTER said:

No, but generally depends on what position you're applying for & prospective (future) employer.

I am targeting some product based company. Have extensive experience in financial institutions. Not sure what role would be good to be prepared and apply especially when I am transitioning from another domain.

1 hour ago, raki05 said:

I am targeting some product based company. Have extensive experience in financial institutions. Not sure what role would be good to be prepared and apply especially when I am transitioning from another domain.

Domain shouldn't be an issue. Which roles are you looking for?

1 hour ago, raki05 said:

I am already working as an Architect in Cyber Security. planning to learn AI/ML and if possible transitioned to similar role in AI/ML domain.

What would you like to do in AI/ML?

This article has some roles listed. https://www.kdnuggets.com/2018/08/top-10-roles-ai-data-science.html

As a cyber expert you should be looking at the Cloud IMO. There is a huge need for security experts there. AI/ML is not a natural transition unless you have a good understanding of data and/or how it pertains to business.

5 minutes ago, bharathh said:

AI/ML is not a natural transition unless you have a good understanding of data and/or how it pertains to business.

Ya that's what my question was, whether i should pursue for excellence in Cyber Security or diversify career through AI/ML which is upcoming tech and 95% of application going to leverage it in future. Also AI/ML has huge role to play in cyber security as well. Right now i am in doldrum whether to do some more advance certification or learning in cyber security itself or learn this new tech. 

2 minutes ago, raki05 said:

Ya that's what my question was, whether i should pursue for excellence in Cyber Security or diversify career through AI/ML which is upcoming tech and 95% of application going to leverage it in future. Also AI/ML has huge role to play in cyber security as well. Right now i am in doldrum whether to do some more advance certification or learning in cyber security itself or learn this new tech. 

Since you are an architect in Sec.. IMO it would make more sense for you to go into depth there.

It seems that you are looking at using AI/ML rather than develop AI/ML applications. That doesn;t require you to change your speciality unless you are looking for a complete change in profile. A lateral shift at your level has the downside of not being able to transition horizontally due to a lack of hands on experience in the new field. Cyber sec folks are in really great demand in the industry - esp since most companies are moving/have moved to the cloud. If I were you, I would double down in this area.

AI/ML has applications in pretty much every field in software development. You can understand the basics of AI/ML and its applications through a few courses. After that you will be able to evaluate how AI/ML fits into security. You don't need to be an AI/ML expert to use the software.