Ind may not know how to use impact players

zen

1 minute ago, coffee_rules said:

Shreyas seems to be a safety first batseman and two left handers at top. Get Pant after SKY and open with Gaikwad or Rahul

Two left handers is ok if their approach is good. And #3 is a right hander anyways (so if a left hander gets out, you have two right handers batting)

If Gaikwad is in the squad, he can open with V Iyer with Pant moving to #4-6

2 hours ago, maniac said:

Can’t disagree here. Is there a rule why Dhawan shouldn’t be playing lower down the order?

Is there a rule why Dhawan should be playing at all? What are we doing with a 36 year old opener? For all the praises that MSD received earlier in the captaincy, i.e. fielding young blood has yielded nothing at the end as MSD himself overstayed his welcome in the team. We are back to the culture of oldies milking the ol cow till its sucked dry.

3 minutes ago, zen said:

Two left handers is ok if their approach is good. And #3 is a right hander anyways (so if a left hander gets out, you have two right handers batting)

If Gaikwad is in the squad, he can open with V Iyer with Pant moving to #4-6

Agree, We need explosive batsman at the top, couple of consolidators and at #4-6 X factors like Pant in ODIs. Days of Bevan are over. Alas, we lost patience with Hardik

16 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Agree, We need explosive batsman at the top, couple of consolidators and at #4-6 X factors like Pant in ODIs. Days of Bevan are over. Alas, we lost patience with Hardik

SDP was coming in good form

I am not too concerned. As the saying goes - “Jako Rakhen Saiyan, Maar Sake Na Koi”.  SDP may be appointed the captain of A’bad  and we might see him captain India in 24 or so months

Edited by zen
7 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

I think explosive top order requires batting depth. Need batsmen atleast till 8. We have to make compromising selections like playing Thkuar in all matches as 5/6th bowler. Iyer probably can share the spot.   I don't like Jdadu as a LOI bowler one bit. But we have to play him. 

Kishan

Rohit

Kohli

Rahul

Shreyas

Venky Iyer

Sundar

Jadeja

Thakur

Saini/Siraj

Bumrah

This gives us 4 seamers 2 spinners  9 batsmen.

7 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

I think explosive top order requires batting depth. Need batsmen atleast till 8. We have to make compromising selections like playing Thkuar in all matches as 5/6th bowler. Iyer probably can share the spot.   I don't like Jdadu as a LOI bowler one bit. But we have to play him. 

Kishan

Rohit

Kohli

Rahul

Shreyas

Venky Iyer

Sundar

Jadeja

Thakur

Saini/Siraj

Bumrah

This gives us 4 seamers 2 spinners  9 batsmen.

Replace one ☝️ d the Iyers with Pant. Preferably Shreyas. Venky can bowl dibbly dobbly a bit. We’ve got to invest on some batsman who are aggressive

Edited by coffee_rules
28 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Replace one ☝️ d the Iyers with Pant. Preferably Shreyas. Venky can bowl dibbly dobbly a bit. We’ve got to invest on some batsman who are aggressive

If Chahar comes around he can be a handy bat. That will give us an incredible depth in batting. But we have to be prepared for conceding a lot of runs. Unless we find some gun ODI bowlers we have to follow this mantra. With just 4 fielders outside the circle for most of the time, it is a batsman's game.  This way you can go bang bang from the start. If you don't want that then look for 5 wicket taking bowlers and play conservatively. I don't see 5 wicket taking bowlers in India.  Everybody is going to be crap in one match or the other. Even Bumrah. 

1 hour ago, sandeep said:

The one guy who deserves to keep his top order spot based on proven unselfish batting tactics, and that's the guy you want to push down the order.  

That's 'acumen' eh?

That’s because we have Venky Iyer who opens, Rahul who opens, Pant and S.Iyer also will probably look a different beast if they play in top 3 than the thankless slots they find themselves in.

Then there is Ishan Kishen. OP has made a case for Pandya in top order as well.

So if Dhawan is still picked why not change it up and give the youngsters a go and see if they build some confidence. If Dhawan has to be there for a experience than why not ask him to try something different. I personally have no spot for Dhawan anymore.

that’s the point I was making but you would have saved yourself time if you didn’t try  to look at my post from a perspective of where I can I find an opening here to be a snarky ass :) 

2023 wc in india, 22 months from now. 

Is dhawan really going to be our opener at 38/39 years old? 

Is bhuvi our 2nd seamer? 

Selectors are a joke, no planning or vision.  Equally on this team selection dravid and Kl have no vision. Is v. Iyer good enough to bowl 5/6 overs a game, can he handle opening against 2 top opening bowlers? Only way we find out is to play 10/12 games and bowl at least 50, 60 overs, and get batting time up top. Left handed opener, attacking player, can bowl seam up, 6th bowling option, we should be investing time in him. We basically played a game today and got no new answers/information and in a game and series that means notting in terms of points. I know what dhawan, kohli, kl, bhuvi, yuzi, ashwin, bumrah can do. 

Clearly we need 7/8 solid batters, 2 spinners, 3 seamers, and 6 bowling options all within11 players. 

We should be outbatting with a top 8, out spinning, or holding with our 4 seamers, given any conditions in a home world cup. 

V. Iyer

Rohit**

Kohli**

Gill 

Pant**

Kl rahul**

Hardik

Spinner

Ashwin**

Seamer

Bumrah**

We should have a idea, core players who will probably be in a world cup final if tomorrow **, and groom the next 4/5 players to fill a ideal vision. 

I feel our 7 and 8 and 2nd seamer will the difference in winning a world cup or just reaching a semi.  We must start grooming now. 

V. Iyer, kishan, siraj, shaw, gill, sky, 

Edited by onx3

Shaw (Padikkal/Jaiswal may be a backup if they increase scoring rate)

Pant/Kishan (wk)

Gaekwad

Gill/Brat --> consolidate if quick wkts occur

KLR --> best suited at 5. alternatively, he can keep wkts and we can play a diff opener

V. Iyer --> deserves a longer run. FGP (fragile glass pandya) would be suitable if he is fit for bowling and he goes back to his old batting stance [Venky has batted in domestics at 5]

?? --> preferably a spin bowling AR who can score at 100+ SR. Jaddu/Sundar do not fit the bill

Axar --> effective at 8, wields long handle well. accurate spinner who can get bounce. back-up can be ashwin, who is less in terms of batting

D. Chahar/Lord/Markandey/Bishnoi --> choose based on conditions. although Lord and Deepak are trundlers, they give deep batting

Prasidh/Avesh

Siraj/Bumrah

Rotate pace-quartet (no. 10 and 11) based on conditions. Biggest hole is the No. 7 where we need a spin-bowling AR who can score quickly. A slightly different lineup is enclosed below;

Shaw (Padikkal/Jaiswal may be a backup if they increase scoring rate)

Gaekwad

Gill/Brat --> consolidate if quick wkts occur

KLR (wk) --> not ideal, but he could keep wickets.

V. Iyer --> deserves a longer run. FGP (fragile glass pandya) would be suitable if he is fit for bowling and he goes back to his old batting stance [Venky has batted in domestics at 5]

SKY/SRK --> both can score rapidly at 100+ SR; in SRK's case, even more [SRK can also bowl a bit]

?? --> preferably a spin bowling AR who can score at 100+ SR. Jaddu/Sundar do not fit the bill

Axar --> effective at 8, wields long handle well. accurate spinner who can get bounce. back-up can be ashwin, who is less in terms of batting

D. Chahar/Lord/Markandey/Bishnoi --> choose based on conditions. although Lord and Deepak are trundlers, they give deep batting

Prasidh/Avesh

Siraj/Bumrah

In either of these teams, there is batting till 9 in some cases and 6 bowling options. enough explosiveness in openers, middle order that can consolidate but score quite briskly, and lower-order pyrotechnics. However, the all-important No. 7 slot needs to be resolved

1 hour ago, jf1gp_1 said:

This strange obsession of having a 6th bowling option which we dont even use has to stop. If Iyer wasnt going to be used as bowler then they should have played Sky.  

6th bowler was needed in this match. it was just poor captaincy from KLR. 4 overs from Venky could have reduced some burden on frontline bowlers.

2 hours ago, Vijy said:

6th bowler was needed in this match. it was just poor captaincy from KLR. 4 overs from Venky could have reduced some burden on frontline bowlers.

Combination of 4 Batsman , 1 keeper bat, 1 half baked batting all rounder and 5 bowlers is never going to win you a WC anytime soon. 

4 hours ago, jf1gp_1 said:

This strange obsession of having a 6th bowling option which we dont even use has to stop.

No the *ing problem is we don't use that option! If we play 5 "proper" bowlers the part timer never gets a gig :whack2:

This is why under BRat we've had our bowling stocks plummet & no part timer emerge!