Light at the end of the CoViD 19 tunnel? The end of the pandemic may be near.

BacktoCricaddict

On 1/20/2022 at 12:57 PM, kepler37b said:

Covid is NOT a flu. It's a disease that is capable of systematic inflammation.

Millions of  people across the world are suffering from autoimmune diseases Linger after the infection subsides. Called long covid.

I have been free of Covid for a month, but still suffering from after effects. 

Wish you a full and speedy recovery.  

9 hours ago, Vijy said:

v. sorry to hear that - I wish you a safe and smooth recovery! as someone with chronic illness, I imagine it must be very tough dealing with day-to-day life and coping with the manifold ways in which one's body has become fragile

Yeah man. The disease has been pretty severe for me.   It is beyond my control now. Comparing life before and after covid hurts a lot. :((

4 hours ago, Vk1 said:

@BacktoCricaddict whats your opinion on neoCov.. lots of media trying to create fear

I spent a little time reading the original research paper (https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.01.24.477490v1).  It is a "pre-print," which means it has not been peer-reviewed and published yet.  I am taking the results at face-value since I am not fully qualified to analyze all the technical nuances that someone who does those sorts of experiments regularly can pick up.  Take-aways:

(1) The experiments described in the paper were done in cell cultures to test hypothetical models generated by computer algorithms.  

(2) The results show that NeoCoV *could* *maybe* efficiently enter human cells that are grown in the lab in petri-dishes *if* they pick up one specific spike-protein mutation.  Since NeoCoV is closely related to MERS-CoV, it *could* *maybe* kill humans at the same rate as MERS.  

(3) But, we don't know *if* NeoCoV will pick up the mutation in nature and become more infectious in humans.  It is possible that, *if* it ever picks up that mutation, it won't even survive in bats, and may never make it to humans.  If it ever does, we don't know *if* it will kill at the same rate as MERS (35% death rate).  It is also important to note that they were not working directly with NeoCoV and manipulating it to have the mutations. 

So, lots of *ifs* and *buts* at this stage, but nothing to be scared about.  But we must monitor zoonotic sources (camels, bats etc) to see if there are any indications of this mutation in MERS-CoV and NeoCoV that have popped up in nature. 

Most importantly, we must ensure that closer monitoring of virology labs all over the world to ensure that they are adhering with proper biosafety protocols.  I don't know what can be leveraged against powerful governments, but this is an imperative (There are very few things that I am convinced about, but I am getting close to being convinced that SARS CoV2 leaked from WIV due to negligence). Second, we must put a moratorium on gain-of-function virus research again or ban it altogether.  It is just not worth it. 

Edited by BacktoCricaddict

On 1/20/2022 at 11:27 PM, kepler37b said:

Covid is NOT a flu. It's a disease that is capable of systematic inflammation.

Millions of  people across the world are suffering from autoimmune diseases Linger after the infection subsides. Called long covid.

I have been free of Covid for a month, but still suffering from after effects. 

this covid seems like the god of diseases. now we can add auto immune diseases under the covid umbrella. but your definition of inflammation does have some merit though. Inflammation causes heart disease, stroke, abnormally high blood pressure, kidney failure, etc. Have you felt anything of this sort before getting vaccinated or after. You have said you were vaccinated and had this long covid

10 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

this covid seems like the god of diseases. now we can add auto immune diseases under the covid umbrella. but your definition of inflammation does have some merit though. Inflammation causes heart disease, stroke, abnormally high blood pressure, kidney failure, etc. Have you felt anything of this sort before getting vaccinated or after. You have said you were vaccinated and had this long covid

Yes. It is god of diseases.   

I was vaccinated with Covaxin, the most "traditional" of the ones. I absoultely had no effects after vaccination. And I believe it did NOT help me at all in my sickness. People are saying it kept me alive. But no one is sure. 

The kicker is that even the most fit and healthy people are coming down with severe post covid reactions. This is a bio-weapon class virus.

Edited by kepler37b

14 hours ago, jf1gp_1 said:

With hardly any new cases, why this preparedness drill and urging people to mask up again ? The variant ba7 itself has been in India for months. What am I missing ?

China has been doing bad may be there is a new variant who knows. But china has millions of hospitalizations and many deaths. They even went as far mobilizing troops to Taiwan for the cover up lol. 

Edited by gattaca

14 hours ago, jf1gp_1 said:

With hardly any new cases, why this preparedness drill and urging people to mask up again ? The variant ba7 itself has been in India for months. What am I missing ?

Better be prepared than face the unexpected. The virus keeps mutating ... with so many in China affected - I am sure there will be a few new mutations to worry about. 

16 hours ago, jf1gp_1 said:

Once bitten twice shy based on the delta wave last year.