World Cup 2023 xi

ungboysj

If you are looking for depth in batting don't search perfect bowlers who often don't bat well. We all want to ape England's approach. Their bowling was one of the most expensive bowling up in the year 2019.   5.75 runs an over worse than India/Australia/New Zealand/South Africa. Only Pakistan/WI/SL/BD were worse than their bowling economy wise.  On flatbeds they managed to out-bat every opposition. India has to have a team that is very deep to stage come back from any position.

23 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

If you are looking for depth in batting don't search perfect bowlers who often don't bat well. We all want to ape England's approach. Their bowling was one of the most expensive bowling up in the year 2019.   5.75 runs an over worse than India/Australia/New Zealand/South Africa. Only Pakistan/WI/SL/BD were worse than their bowling economy wise.  On flatbeds they managed to out-bat every opposition. India has to have a team that is very deep to stage come back from any position.

1. Shaw

2. Pant (wk)

3. Rohit (c) /Gill --> I believe that one consolidator is needed if early wkts fall. Moreover, Rohit/Gill should be able to score at 90 SR in theory.

4. Gaekwad/SKY --> Gaekwad has excellent game vs spin. moreover, at 4, he will have enough time to settle and go for big shots later

5. KLR/SKY --> choose wisely based on conditions

6. Sundar/Jaddu - don't be fooled by low avg and SR. Sundar can score at 100 SR in ODIs if given a run.

7. Hardik/V. Iyer - they should play only if they can function as 6th bowler. V. Iyer has not looked convincing, but 2 matches is too small sample size.

8. Thakur

9. D. Chahar

10. A. Patel/M. Markande

11. Bumrah/Siraj/Bishnoi/Prasidh --> choose as per conditions

batting till 10.

5 hours ago, Vijy said:

There are several things to bear in mind: 1. The template of ODI batting is such that scores of 320-330 and above are almost imperative, 2. the job of bowlers is to bowl 10 overs for not-so-many and wkts don't matter greatly, and 3. we have lost most of our wkt taking bowlers - boom is poor in ODIs in past 2 yrs, shami is too old, kuldeep is out, chahal has regressed, rest don't merit a mention.

based on this, I propose that the template should be to bat as deep as possible and have as many explosive players as possible. in other words, attempt to do what Eng (also NZ) did at their peak.

1. Shaw

2. Pant (wk)

3. Rohit (c) /Gill --> I believe that one consolidator is needed if early wkts fall. Moreover, Rohit/Gill should be able to score at 90 SR in theory.

4. Gaekwad/SKY --> Gaekwad has excellent game vs spin. moreover, at 4, he will have enough time to settle and go for big shots later

5. KLR/SKY --> choose wisely based on conditions

6. Sundar/Jaddu - don't be fooled by low avg and SR. Sundar can score at 100 SR in ODIs if given a run.

7. Hardik/V. Iyer - they should play only if they can function as 6th bowler. V. Iyer has not looked convincing, but 2 matches is too small sample size.

8. Thakur

9. D. Chahar

10. A. Patel

11. Bumrah/Siraj/Bishnoi/Prasidh --> choose as per conditions

batting till 10. lot of flexibility since many of these players can be moved up and down the order. bowling is s**t, but we lack wkt taking bowlers anyway, so might as well as try and bat deep.

I think lot of you people don't realize how poor pants list a stats are. Even shreyas iyer. Pant should open yes.

Bowling if we go for siraj and prasidh would be good. Booms as first change or drop him to bat deep. Won't happen I know.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I think lot of you people don't realize how poor pants list a stats are. Even shreyas iyer. Pant should open yes.

Bowling if we go for siraj and prasidh would be good. Booms as first change or drop him to bat deep. Won't happen I know.

yes, his list A stats are poor. sundar's FC stats were also ordinary. some players can transcend their stats. I would rather have batting depth because our batting chokes big time in pressure games