Shardul Thakur or Deepak Chahar - who would you play in LOI team as an all rounder?

For WorldT20, which is in Australia, perhaps it should be both. We dont really have a spinner who can be effective on those bouncy pitches. Any spin option should be a part timer who can primarily bat well. Perhaps Jadeja fits the bill because he is a decent batsman and a great fielder. Chahal, Ashwin, Yadav will be carted for sixes all day in Australia and they are not good with the bat, so they dont bring much to the table in terms of overall effectiveness.

If only one can be picked, it should be Thakur.

Ideally, these are the potential all rounders for LOI team,

Hardik

Thakur

Chahar

Jadeja

W Sundar

11 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Shami is a far better batsman than this chewtiya Yuzi.

Bumrah when he started batted at 11 and Yuzi batted at 10 but look at difference now. Bumrah is so much more assured than Yuzi.

Chris gayle can crush Chahal with a hug. Atleast Kuldeep is somewhat a decent bat. If not chawla level batting.

Just now, kubrickian said:

For WorldT20, which is in Australia, perhaps it should be both. We dont really have a spinner who can be effective on those bouncy pitches. Any spin option should be a part timer who can primarily bat well. Perhaps Jadeja fits the bill because he is a decent batsman and a great fielder. Chahal, Ashwin, Yadav will be carted for sixes all day in Australia and they are not good with the bat, so they dont bring much to the table in terms of overall effectiveness.

If only one can be picked, it should be Thakur.

Ideally, these are the potential all rounders for LOI team,

Hardik

Thakur

Chahar

Jadeja

W Sundar

In T20 it is all about shuffling bowlers. If you have 7 option you can bowl 1 or 2 over spell and get away with cheap overs. Batsmen won't be able to target bowlers. But if you have only 5 bowlers it is very very easy to target even the best.

3 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Honestly world's very best bowlers get tonked from time to time.  We don't have world's best bowler anyway. We have no Starc or KG or Boult.  Our best bowler is Bumrah who himself is not at his best. So until we accidentally run into a gun ODI bowler we have to give importance to batting ability of the bowler.  Also he has played only 6 matches. But picked 8 wickets.  His batting average is 70.50 at 102.17.  Decent fielder too.   Seeing the IPL i hardly find any decent bowler.  

In that case, among the two I will pick Deepak in LOIs. But honestly don't want either.

12 minutes ago, Pollack said:

Both are poor in their primary JOB that is bowling. :phehe: 

Exactly this !

We are trying to pick bowlers based on their batting ... because we are picking batsmen who are out of form or lost ability. 

The key is to pick just one of them in LOIs. 

Chahar maybe slightly better for LOI as he can bowl decently in his first 2 or 3 overs.

3 minutes ago, Pollack said:

In that case, among the two I will pick Deepak in LOIs. But honestly don't want either.

Deepak C has a Hattrick and the best bowling figures in T20I. I am not saying he is an ATG potential or something but I think people are underrating his bowling.

To some extent I would apply that for Thakur as well. If he is your strike bowler it is a problem but as your 3rd or 4th with the value he brings, he is not that bad either.

I would say Deepak has that extra edge because in swinging conditons he can be a handful. Thakur might have that extra pace on his day.

Edited by maniac
3 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Exactly this !

We are trying to pick bowlers based on their batting ... because we are picking batsmen who are out of form or lost ability. 

The key is to pick just one of them in LOIs. 

Chahar maybe slightly better for LOI as he can bowl decently in his first 2 or 3 overs.

I wonder about this wisdom though... LOIs have changed so much. In tests, bowlers should be selected for bowling and batters for batting. simple as that.

However, arguably the most complete LOI squad of last few yrs (Eng and maybe NZ) have very few genuine wicket taking options. Instead, they bat to 9, sometimes to 10. Earlier in the thread, I carried out a "thought experiment" (as Einstein called them) to list a poor bowling lineup but with batting till 10. Please do take a look if you can - I am not saying that I endorse it myself, but it's food for thought.

5 minutes ago, express bowling said:

But teams with strike bowlers still win the most in LOIs.

I also thought of having only one of those two. But now after this performance, it makes me wonder why can't we pick four pacers with both of them in the side?

Bumrah

Shami/Siraj

Deepak

Shardul

Axar

The spin resources are anyways very poor for us.

Edited by Majestic
10 minutes ago, Vijy said:

I wonder about this wisdom though... LOIs have changed so much. In tests, bowlers should be selected for bowling and batters for batting. simple as that.

The main reasòn why England has done well in ODIs is because they try not to waste any deliveries. They try to hit from ball one. 

And they do try to include 2 proper pacers, that is 2 among Archer, Wood, Jordan and Mills.

We try to waste the first 30 overs. And usually play only 1 proper pacer.

I have no issues if we play 2 proper pacers and then some all-rounders.

And till the time we throw out most of the consolidators at the top, we will not win big matches. But it won't happen as Indian cricket is all about personal records and centuries.

10 minutes ago, Vijy said:

However, arguably the most complete LOI squad of last few yrs (Eng and maybe NZ) have very few genuine wicket taking options. Instead, they bat to 9, sometimes to 10. Earlier in the thread, I carried out a "thought experiment" (as Einstein called them) to list a poor bowling lineup but with batting till 10. Please do take a look if you can - I am not saying that I endorse it myself, but it's food for thought.

I will take a look.

My thought process is that ... the only way to stop the modern rampaging teams is to take a few wickets at every stage of the game.

We have not picked genuine wicket takers in ODIs, like Shami, for quite some time, as we prefer control. Same thing happening with Siraj and Prasidh now. All these 3 have genuine wicket taking ability the 2 longer formats.

Our best period in If is in recent times was when we had 3 wicket takers in Bumrah, Kuldeep and Chahal in 2018 and 2019.

32 minutes ago, Majestic said:

I also thought of having only one of those two. But now after this performance, it makes me wonder why can't we pick four pacers with both of them in the side?

Bumrah

Shami/Siraj

Deepak

Shardul

Axar

The spin resources are anyways very poor for us.

If we play 2 proper pacers and 2 seamer-all-rounders, then it's ok. 

It's true that our LOI spinners are average these days.

Edited by express bowling
14 minutes ago, GautiMaan said:

Play both,drop a spinner and try to play Washi in the top 5, i believe he batted at no.3 in the u19s and the way he bayted in tests is enough proof of his technique,Pant should be kept as X factor rather than a dependable batsman

Rohit
Shaw
Virat
Washi
Rahul/SKY
Pant
Jadeja
Chahar
Shardul
Bumrah
Siraj/Shami/Prasidh

Mix of youth and experience

I like this team.

2 hours ago, express bowling said:

Fun LOI 11

1. Shaw

2. Kishan

3. Kohli / Rohit 

4. Pant

5. Rahul

6. Shardul .. has become a batsman who bowls a bit

7. Deepak

8. Axar

9. Bishnoi .. can bat

10. Bumrah

11. Prasidh / Siraj

this is a good balance actually. lot of attacking firepower. I'd try to get Markande (or even Sundar) for ODIs in place of Bishnoi. Latter seems better suited for T20s for now based on domestics - I saw some matches in VHT and Bishnoi hadn't yet adjusted to 50-over game. Markande is also a proper No. 9 - can score quite well. Pity that Gopal is out of form and is older, otherwise he could be a very good No. 9

Another difference is that some other bowler should be identified as back-up for Bumrah, who is frankly average in ODIs these days, as you yourself pointed out. would like to see mavi get a go based on VHT. he can also bat well at 10. real depth in batting in that case.

Edited by Vijy