India vs westindies series update squad announced

tweaker

5 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

Also if BCCI cannot organize Ranji trophy they can manage Duleep trophy for sure.  No domestic cricket for 2 years has taken its toll on Indian cricket with seniors continuously playing despite zero performances..  Youngsters sitting on sidelines or on bench with no cricket under their belt. 

Shah & Ganguly need to be held accountable here. 

The BCCI team lacks vision isnt it.. Ganguly has been a disappointment, looks like he has been more destructive if not  anything else.

Sadly he will not be remembered fondly in this context

45 minutes ago, anish2tweet said:

What is VHT if Dhawan can hit 2 50s in International ODIs in SA? If any senior is not scoring runs, then you can say. Just because he 36, you cannot aask for his removal.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

No runs in IPL, no runs in domestic tournaments but purely based on reputation if a 36 year old gets to bat at the top (including in the dead rubber), I have issues with that mindset. Dhawan's India career should have been over once he was dropped from the T20 team.

Give those same chances to Shaw and Ruturaj and they would no worse.

Dhawan himself got his chance when 32 year old Gambhir, still in decent form and scoring runs in IPL, was dropped back in 2012-13. 

54 minutes ago, anish2tweet said:

What is VHT if Dhawan can hit 2 50s in International ODIs in SA? If any senior is not scoring runs, then you can say. Just because he 36, you cannot aask for his removal.

The standard of that SA bowling attack was worse than quite a lot of VHT attacks.  I mean the pitches were more India like especially first two ones.  Dhawan is a good ODI player but he would have been found out vs a better attack.  Spinner still are able to trap him easily.  His reflexes are slow against Quality pace  too

2 hours ago, express bowling said:

I guess having a Top 3, who will tuk tuk and stats pad, is a given. Everyone connected to Indian cricket seem to want it. 

No way out for the time being. We have to accept it if we want to watch Indian cricket ( albeit performing at 60% due to this )

The other issues are

1)  Youngsters getting dropped after a couple of games. This time it's Venkatesh in ODIs.

2)  Every time an opener is injured, Rahul is brought up from the middle order, thereby totally destabilizing an already inconsistent middle order. Happened in the later stages of WC 2019 too.

Why is Rahul not played in the middle order even if a regular opener is absent ?  Why not have a separate backup opener ?

3)  Too many trundlers in T20Is. Four of them to be precise. And just 2 quicks. 

4)  Why are Bhuvi and Chahal still being backed ?

Because if you open with pant or get in kishen or Shaw to open, that means it’s curtains for the top 3 maharathis. 

'I'm surprised why he's even in T20Is': India's World Cup winning all-rounder baffled by Bhuvneshwar Kumar's selection

After going wicketless in the two ODIs he played against, finishing with 0/64 and 0/67, Bhuvneshwar was dropped from India's ODI squad for the West Indies series, but was retained in the T20I squad.

Former India all-rounder Madan Lal, who was part of the victorious 1983 squad, feels the selectors took the correct call by dropping Bhuvneshwar from the 50 overs setup and expressed surprising seeing his named for the T20Is.

"Selectors have taken the right decision in dropping Bhuvneshwar Kumar because he is not performing. I am surprised why he is in T20s also. You need to perform if you are given a long rope," he told ANI.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cricket/im-surprised-why-he-s-even-in-t20is-india-s-world-cup-winning-all-rounder-madan-lal-baffled-by-bhuvneshwar-kumar-s-selection-for-west-indies-series-101643286028355.html

29 minutes ago, Laaloo said:

Because if you open with pant or get in kishen or Shaw to open, that means it’s curtains for the top 3 maharathis. 

Have been saying it for ages - 2017 was the time to start introducing young blood at the top of the order - let the "maharathis" bat one spot lower.  My ODI team leading up to the next home ODI WC would have Rohit at #3, and Virat at #4, with 2 openers who are not afraid to attack.  

There is no reason not to try this, its clear that Indian team needs faster openers, and stability in the middle.  

But top order batsmen get the glory and endorsement cash, so those spots are not easily given up.

Indian cricket has been run as a business, happy with the 'good enough but not great' status quo, knowing that there is no accountability.  

I'm just glad more and more people are seeing it now.  And not afraid to call it what it is.

It is this bullshit that made me anoint Virat as kuptaan wrogn (a reference to Virat's 'clothing' company btw for the unaware).  

Its disappointing to see cynical mismanagement get in the way of attainable greatness.

4 hours ago, Banton said:

I do not think there is fight bw rohit and kohli.Their animosity is carefully created/fabricated by their own pr agrencies.

They are friends behind the scene.

Both do not want to miss out easy money to newcomer.

This is spot on. Well management only cares about mullah. Just be happy with good enough. They don't want to reach greatness in LOI.

5 hours ago, sandeep said:

Not just friends, almost family.

Rohit is married to the sister of Virat's agent, the man who made Virat's commercial career, someone whom he considers his brother.  

Shikar,Rohit,Kohli as our top 3 in this world cup is a recipe for disaster... My only hope is that a debacle in the t20 world cup in Australia which happens earlier than the ODI world cup will influence the selection

12 hours ago, express bowling said:

I guess having a Top 3, who will tuk tuk and stats pad, is a given. Everyone connected to Indian cricket seem to want it. 

No way out for the time being. We have to accept it if we want to watch Indian cricket ( albeit performing at 60% due to this )

The other issues are

1)  Youngsters getting dropped after a couple of games. This time it's Venkatesh in ODIs.

2)  Every time an opener is injured, Rahul is brought up from the middle order, thereby totally destabilizing an already inconsistent middle order. Happened in the later stages of WC 2019 too.

Why is Rahul not played in the middle order even if a regular opener is absent ?  Why not have a separate backup opener ?

3)  Too many trundlers in T20Is. Four of them to be precise. And just 2 quicks. 

4)  Why are Bhuvi and Chahal still being backed ?

Top top post,SA series was a good chance to establish Rahul in the middle order and find some people who can bat around him,Venky Iyer could've been tried as opener if the goal was to give maximum exposure to youngsters.

But its almost as if the need to keep the same top 3 is paramount in Indian cricket at the cost of everything else.

9 hours ago, sandeep said:

Have been saying it for ages - 2017 was the time to start introducing young blood at the top of the order - let the "maharathis" bat one spot lower.  My ODI team leading up to the next home ODI WC would have Rohit at #3, and Virat at #4, with 2 openers who are not afraid to attack.  

There is no reason not to try this, its clear that Indian team needs faster openers, and stability in the middle.  

But top order batsmen get the glory and endorsement cash, so those spots are not easily given up.

Indian cricket has been run as a business, happy with the 'good enough but not great' status quo, knowing that there is no accountability.  

I'm just glad more and more people are seeing it now.  And not afraid to call it what it is.

It is this bullshit that made me anoint Virat as kuptaan wrogn (a reference to Virat's 'clothing' company btw for the unaware).  

Its disappointing to see cynical mismanagement get in the way of attainable greatness.

Why cant these guys serve the country and make money at the same time.

Yuvi batted in the middle order and was never short of endorsements,Gambhir,Ganguly,Sachin all were openers but willing to change their batting positions for the sake of the team.

16 minutes ago, GautiMaan said:

Yuvi batted in the middle order and was never short of endorsements,Gambhir,Ganguly,Sachin all were openers but willing to change their batting positions for the sake of the team.

one school of thought pushed by our commentators is that the teams best batsmen should get maximum batting overs in a limited overs match to maximise the total... that might not work always

So, I don't think it is about these 3 refusing to give up the top 3 positions. Greatness doesn't ooze only from the top.

10 hours ago, GautiMaan said:

Its simple really, apart from few impotents on a website, there are no consequences for these guys to put 'business management' ahead of best possible team construction.  If India fails to make it past semifinal in an effective 4 horse race, the criticism - apart from the gossipy shrieking which is meaningless anyway - is largely absent.  

If you had the choice to maximize your personal earnings at 120%, with team winning percentage dipping 10%, or 'sacrifice' your earnings down to 70% and the win probability only goes up a "little bit" or maybe not at all, would you do it?  

The problem isn't individual motivations.  The problem is the structural system.  Can't have a yesman for coach. Can't have selectors who are just satisfied with their own petty agendas, can't have a board management content to "chaltaa hai, chalne  do".

India's ODI and T20 strategy on the batting side, is out-dated.  And has been, for many years.  And nobody is calling it out.  Nobody that matters anyway.  I have been shrieking about it on ICF since before the 2015 WC.  

11 hours ago, GautiMaan said:

Btw, Gambhir and Ganguly's ODI numbers and careers dipped very quickly once they let go of their opening slot.  That's the reason.  

If you can bat in top 3, bat selfishly, and get away with it in the name of "building platform for the team", etc.  Chaltaa hai, chalne do.  

For all the criticism that Dhawan cops - and I do agree that he's on the older side - he's actually the lone guy in the top order who has demonstrated willingness to embrace bit of risk for the sake of team momentum.  ODI Openers job isn't to score 110 ball centuries.  A 60 ball 75 has far more value.  This simple change of priority has not happened with our top order, and will only happen with change in personnel.