India vs westindies series update squad announced

tweaker

According to geniuses here, there are loads of talented batsmen in every gully than Kohli and Rohit Sharma, waiting to be picked and unleash themselves on the world. Their credentials are they have done well in mickey mouse IPL and hit sixes against Ashoke Dinda and Harvinder Singh. Only the evil BCCI/Mossad/RAW is keeping them out for reasons best known to them. Gosh, some of the people in this forum sound worse than the brainwashed Pakistanis.

7 minutes ago, kubrickian said:

According to geniuses here, there are loads of talented batsmen in every gully than Kohli and Rohit Sharma, waiting to be picked and unleash themselves on the world. Their credentials are they have done well in mickey mouse IPL and hit sixes against Ashoke Dinda and Harvinder Singh. Only the evil BCCI/Mossad/RAW is keeping them out for reasons best known to them. Gosh, some of the people in this forum sound worse than the brainwashed Pakistanis.

Would make it more interesting if you would name and shame those geniuses :tongue:

57 minutes ago, kubrickian said:

Its not about "levels of talent" on an individual basis.  Its about the total output of runs as a team, that's what's falling unacceptably short.  Do you really think buys like Jason roy, Bairstow, Alex Hales are "more" talented than Virat and Rohit.  They are most definitely not.  Why then, are they consistently outscoring their more talented Indian counterparts in the first 20-25 overs of ODI cricket?  

Virat and Rohit are genuine world class bats, arguably ATG level.  But the way the team is structured and the way they bat, is not optimal for the team, its sub-optimal.  

I'm actually advocating to value their wickets more by having them bat at #3 and #4.  Why risk Rohit against the new white ball when its swinging for 10 or so balls.  All he does is bat 'safe' anyway.  Unleash a younger, "less talented" batsman who's unafraid to take risks.  If it comes off, great. If it doesn't, I trust Virat and Rohit to do their thing and backstop anyway.  

This is not about falling in love with overhyped "youngsters" who are unproven.  This is about team batting tactics and structure.  

Edited by sandeep
12 hours ago, JaFanatic said:

Don't we really have any better option than Bishnoi for odis & Sundar for T20Is? I mean someone like Shreyas Gopal is consistently doing well in List As and t20s season after season but never seems to be in contention.

Gopal isn't better than bishnoi or Chahar

1 hour ago, kubrickian said:

Ah! So two guys, who leapfrogged to the national side bypassing so many other performers in the queue ONLY due to their u-19 successes, should now keep blocking others. I leave upto you to decide what is an easier level to perform - u-19 or IPL.

Thankfully our captains and thinktank at that time had the guts and vision to pick and back them and did not hide behind petty excuses.

On 1/26/2022 at 10:42 PM, tweaker said:

India’s squad for T20I series vs WI

Rohit Sharma(Capt),KL Rahul (vc),Ishan Kishan,Virat Kohli,Shreyas Iyer,Surya Kumar Yadav, Rishabh Pant (wk),Venkatesh Iyer,Deepak Chahar, Shardul Thakur, Ravi Bishnoi,Axar Patel, Yuzvendra Chahal, Washington Sundar, Mohd. Siraj, Bhuvneshwar, Avesh Khan, Harshal Patel

harshal ony for T20 is a CORRECT decision. 

12 hours ago, sandeep said:

Its not about "levels of talent" on an individual basis.  Its about the total output of runs as a team, that's what's falling unacceptably short.  Do you really think buys like Jason roy, Bairstow, Alex Hales are "more" talented than Virat and Rohit.  They are most definitely not.  Why then, are they consistently outscoring their more talented Indian counterparts in the first 20-25 overs of ODI cricket?  

Virat and Rohit are genuine world class bats, arguably ATG level.  But the way the team is structured and the way they bat, is not optimal for the team, its sub-optimal.  

I'm actually advocating to value their wickets more by having them bat at #3 and #4.  Why risk Rohit against the new white ball when its swinging for 10 or so balls.  All he does is bat 'safe' anyway.  Unleash a younger, "less talented" batsman who's unafraid to take risks.  If it comes off, great. If it doesn't, I trust Virat and Rohit to do their thing and backstop anyway.  

This is not about falling in love with overhyped "youngsters" who are unproven.  This is about team batting tactics and structure.  

not much point in trying to point out commonsense here. of course, dhawan-rohit-virat are a bigger trio than potentially any top 3 in world cricket, but the real question is: what happens if and when they fail? that's the conundrum which we have been repeatedly confronted with in big KO matches and the answers have been found wanting.

No one is advocating to pick very young players.Pick those players who were with the A team ,who are playing Ipl,who are in the squad.

Certainly Ruturaj,Surya Yadav,Avesh Khan,Siraj,Prasidh,Kishan Bishnoi,Kuldeep ,Axar,Venkatesh deserve a chance in the playing 11.

The team management, Captain,Coach should ensure young promising players are given enough opportunities.

This hooda type of selection would be complete failure... They are not touching the root cause of all problem all they are doing since 2017 is changing few player here and there in lower middle order or playing marry go round there. This is such a bs process rins and repeat even a little knowledgeable person will know who are the main culprit of icc debacle but they don't have balls to touch them. Why no ask these seniors to sit ask them to enjoy holiday rather than having them for stats padding. They do stats padding through out the year and then fail right at the moment when you need them to pad stats. Problem is they are not ready to change top 3 even in t20. We are going to loose t20 wc with kohli and hahul as top3 you heard it first.
I too don't support Hooda selection but tell me one allrounder for ODIs who can make the team. V.Iyer, V.Shankar, Rishi Dhawan?. All the three are average trundlers.
Sundar, Chahar and Thakur already in team.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, anish2tweet said:

I too don't support Hooda selection but tell me one allrounder for ODIs who can make the team. V.Iyer, V.Shankar, Rishi Dhawan?emoji848.png. All the three are average trundlers.

As there was no domestic cricket for last 2 season ,limited players are available for selection.

There are lots of opening batsman from Dhawan to Ruturaj ,but there are very less players available for the middle order.

There are options available for wicketkeeper batsman,fast bowlers ,spinners but apart from Surya,Shreyas there are not many players available for middle order

43 minutes ago, anish2tweet said:

I too don't support Hooda selection but tell me one allrounder for ODIs who can make the team. V.Iyer, V.Shankar, Rishi Dhawan?emoji848.png. All the three are average trundlers.

In very little time you have come to conclude

Hooda is better than V Iyer

3 hours ago, tweaker said:

As there was no domestic cricket for last 2 season ,limited players are available for selection.

There are lots of opening batsman from Dhawan to Ruturaj ,but there are very less players available for the middle order.

There are options available for wicketkeeper batsman,fast bowlers ,spinners but apart from Surya,Shreyas there are not many players available for middle order

There are 2 very good options for middle overs for 50 overs who need to tested . TM need to be clear which kind of skillset is required in MO looking at the problems India currently have ( poor play vs spinners & no acceleration ) . MO batters should be good players of spin who do not depend on only big hitting to get runs . You need players who can easily milk spinners without loosing wickets , bit unconventional , good players in finding gaps and decent against pace in playing shots without apparent weakness against pace and there should be flexibility re: batting position among them between 3 to to6 .

If MO  plays slowly not upping run rate  for too long and then creates too much pressure on rest of the batsmen. 

TM just need to monitor at what run rate a player comes in , and what is run rate when he gets out . This should tell everyone what is the contribution of a player in winning probability of the team. This should be yardstick and not the 50s scored .

If we look at current MO players -

1. Surya Kumar - If first wicket falls after PP overs send Surya kumar .  Very unconventional , attacking and good player of spin.  Run rate tempo will be maintained . Good against pace. Just think if Surya succeeds at #3 and counters opposition spinners well , that will make Indian team quite good . 

Issue is VK has regressed fast against spin and also does not play any attacking shots .  

2. Ruturaj  - Good player of spin , very good in finding gaps and hitting spinners over the in field with consistency. You cannot have  all MO bats who are boom or bust. need someone to carry the innings in second half too. Am pretty sure he will have run a ball strike rate once he makes a good score in initial matches.

3. KL - He will do well only if he is given less number of balls at his disposal. Hence spot  #5 or #6  is the best in India's interest for KL. Also against spin looks a tier below compared to Surya, Ruturaj. So  should play less spin & more pace. 5 or 6 spots look ideal for Kl. 

4. Need a attacking leftie in MO  -> Pant or Kishan .

5. Shreyas - Now for me the weakest candidate among MO candidates - Poor against short stuff , Not done great against wrist or leftie spinners in the recent past. Will he be  the guy for long term MO position  ?  I have my doubts .

Edited by prudent_kreeda