#HijabRow in Karnataka Schools - where do you stand?

Austin 3:!6

What's your stand on hijab row?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. What's your stand on hijab row?

• Hijab should be banned from all govt schools. Govt should enforce this.
    • Hijab or any religious attire should be allowed in all govt schools in India. Govt should enforce this
    • Status quo should be maintained. If it's allowed, let it remain so. If it's banned, don't allow it. Let schools decide it.

20 hours ago, bharathh said:

2017-09-21-india.jpg

Kindly point out which religion these kids are from. Or caste or say who is from a rich/poor household. 

If you cannot - that is the point of a uniform. 

Uniforms are outdated. We live in a society where even the poor can dress decently. You can tell a rich student by the phone he has. So are you saying phones should be banned as well. Last time I checked, we don't live in a communist country and we want children to understand there are different kinds of people. I knew how rich or poor my classmates were and we were all wearing the same uniform. Don't think children are stupid.

20 hours ago, bharathh said:

Also, what the US/UK do is none of our concern. Btw, in private schools in the US and the UK, they have uniforms. 

If they are of no concern to you, you shouldn't have mentioned France. I don't get it. US is not your concern but France is? :dontknow: Private schools are rare in US UK and only privileged students go there. So there is your theory of "not showing your wealth by wearing unifroms" torpedoed in the water.

When we go to doctor's office, "hum sab ki utar jati hai". Our rules dont work everywhere. I want female doctor, male doctor only. Sometimes we have to accept things that are mandated by some other rules. Walk out if you dont like something but no we want the whole world to change because this is how I want to be.

This world is not against anyone if we are willing to change a little. We all respect others and all the customs and beliefs. What more one can say on this topic. 

11 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

Uniforms are outdated. We live in a society where even the poor can dress decently. You can tell a rich student by the phone he has. So are you saying phones should be banned as well. Last time I checked, we don't live in a communist country and we want children to understand there are different kinds of people. I knew how rich or poor my classmates were and we were all wearing the same uniform. Don't think children are stupid.

If they are of no concern to you, you shouldn't have mentioned France. I don't get it. US is not your concern but France is? :dontknow: Private schools are rare in US UK and only privileged students go there. So there is your theory of "not showing your wealth by wearing unifroms" torpedoed in the water.

You seem to be muddled in your thinking. Either you are the type pretending to sleep who cannot be woken up or you are just trolling. 

Diversity makes sense if it is organic - not imposed. Nikab/burqa culture is not part of Indian culture. It is Arab culture and if you are saying we should put up with it ... no. As a democracy - the majority doesn't want it. Perhaps the minority living in a democracy should understand? At this point it appears that the minority only wants to agree with rules when it is in its favour. 

I brought up France because you mentioned that no other democracy prevents ppl from wearing what they want. Not so. 

Not sure why you brought in phones. What does have to do with uniforms? 

2 hours ago, bharathh said:

You seem to be muddled in your thinking. Either you are the type pretending to sleep who cannot be woken up or you are just trolling. 

Diversity makes sense if it is organic - not imposed. Nikab/burqa culture is not part of Indian culture. It is Arab culture and if you are saying we should put up with it ... no. As a democracy - the majority doesn't want it. Perhaps the minority living in a democracy should understand? At this point it appears that the minority only wants to agree with rules when it is in its favour. 

I brought up France because you mentioned that no other democracy prevents ppl from wearing what they want. Not so. 

Yes, the sense of uniformity makes perfect sense till Middle  school. After 13 years when you are in 8th grade, we will pretty much know who the rich kids are and who are poor, who are Hindus and who are Muslims. This plus 10 to plus 12 uniform is optional to the admin of school, all that is freedom of choice etc is too much of a choice to muddle their heads, let them adhere to school rules or choose a school that fits their dress sense rules

Edited by coffee_rules

26 minutes ago, bharathh said:

My thinking is fine. It seems yours is not and you're projecting onto me. So burka is arab culture. What are shorts, shirts and skirts then. They are English culture :lol:. Unless I see dhotis and sarees, its not Indian :hitler: . You seem to want it one way but don't like it when I point out inconsistencies. You take France but leave out US/UK. 

I made the point about phones because you said uniform makes rich and poor children look the same. I'm giving a counterpoint to your argument. Rather than arguing the point, you had to throw in a shade that my thinking is not right or I'm trolling. It only weakens your argument

Edited by Real McCoy

5 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

My thinking is fine. It seems yours is not and you're projecting onto me. So burka is arab culture. What are shorts, shirts and skirts then. They are English culture :lol:. Unless I see dhotis and sarees, its not Indian :hitler: . You seem to want it one way but don't like it when I point out inconsistencies. You take France but leave out US/UK. 

I made the point about phones because you said uniform makes rich and poor children look the same. I'm giving a counterpoint to your argument. Rather than arguing the point, you had to throw in a shade that my thinking is not right or I'm trolling. It only weakens your argument

I said private schools in the UK and US also have uniforms. Why do they have those? I took France as an example because YOU said that only India as a democracy bans things. 

Phones have nothing to do with any argument. 

5 hours ago, bharathh said:

I said private schools in the UK and US also have uniforms. Why do they have those? I took France as an example because YOU said that only India as a democracy bans things. 

Phones have nothing to do with any argument. 

ok boomer

11 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Boomer calling boomer 

11 hours ago, bharathh said:

:laugh:

Grow up. Learn to debate kid

You should take your own advice. Making circular arguments is not worth debating. I didn't initiate this "debating". We all have our thoughts and in an open democracy, it should be accepted even though one may not like it. Doing otherwise and trying to impose your views on others and making arguments that go nowhere will get that response.

3 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

You should take your own advice. Making circular arguments is not worth debating. I didn't initiate this "debating". We all have our thoughts and in an open democracy, it should be accepted even though one may not like it. Doing otherwise and trying to impose your views on others and making arguments that go nowhere will get that response.

Sorry, mine was a pun on Kartik calling Kartik, a Bollywood movie. 

@Real McCoy 

The idea of uniform is not to show rich and poor look the same but to imply it doesn't matter if you are rich or poor inside the school premises. You must look the same here. You have to abide by the same rules in an educational institute. It's true that children anyway find out who is rich or poor amongst their peers but not through what happens inside the school but outside the school like availability of extra resources. Again the thought behind it is, are  children mature enough to handle the differences. If blatant display of economic disparity is allowed inside the school premises it would create disharmony in school. Kids bully each other on stupid things and you believe rich kids won't bully the poor ones? Poor kids won't feel jealous of rich kids? By creating a homogenous environment in a school an attempt is made to prevent kids from these distraction at least in schools.

Edited by Pollack

3 hours ago, Pollack said:

@Real McCoy 

The idea of uniform is not to show rich and poor look the same but to imply it doesn't matter if you are rich or poor inside the school premises. You must look the same here. You have to abide by the same rules in an educational institute. It's true that children anyway find out who is rich or poor amongst their peers but not through what happens inside the school but outside the school like availability of extra resources. Again the thought behind it is, are  children mature enough to handle the differences. If blatant display of economic disparity is allowed inside the school premises it would create disharmony in school. Kids bully each other on stupid things and you believe rich kids won't bully the poor ones? Poor kids won't feel jealous of rich kids? By creating a homogenous environment in a school an attempt is made to prevent kids from these distraction at least in schools.

:smile:

https://school-uniforms.procon.org/

School uniforms do not stop bullying and may increase violent attacks.

Tony Volk, PhD, Associate Professor at Brock University, stated, “Overall, there is no evidence in bullying literature that supports a reduction in violence due to school uniforms.” [85] A peer-reviewed study found that “school uniforms increased the average number of assaults by about 14 [per year] in the most violent schools.” [26] A Texas Southern University study found that school discipline incidents rose by about 12% after the introduction of uniforms. [14] According to the Miami-Dade County Public Schools Office of Education Evaluation and Management, fights in middle schools nearly doubled within one year of introducing mandatory uniforms. [72][73]

Uniform is an extra cost for parents. So its not helping poor people and students. Not to mention, there are more than 2 uniforms these days. I live right next to a school. They wear different colors on Monday, rest of the week, and the students are split into zones such as blue zone, red zone etc. So they sometimes wear those colors on some days as well. So who is making the profit here. Schools are in big business and retailers and tailors want some action too. One year of kindergarten is costing more than my entire college expenses including tuition fees, books, etc for the entire time I spent in college. I feel sorry for today's children

22 minutes ago, bharathh said:

Pretty sad that we have to prepare for violence for a Court verdict. 

Sad commentary ... Why dont the congress/AIMLM ask the muslims to respect the law of the land & fight it in courts?

6 minutes ago, diga said:

Sad commentary ... Why dont the congress/AIMLM ask the muslims to respect the law of the land & fight it in courts?

I don't think the verdict has been announced. TBH I feel a Shah Bano 2.0 is in the offing. 

Edited by bharathh

Wow.. Impressed!

10:41 (IST) Mar 15
HC says that wearing of hijab by Muslim women doesn't form an essential religious practice under Islamic faith. HC bench also upholds the February 5,2022 government order pertaining to dress code issued by the state government.

10:39 (IST) Mar 15
Students can't object to uniform, ruled Karnataka high court

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/bengaluru/karnataka-news-live-updates-hijab-row-high-court-belagavi-coronavirus-covid-basavaraj-bommai-bjp-congress-march-15-2022/liveblog/90209409.cms

Full verdict to follow