#HijabRow in Karnataka Schools - where do you stand?

Austin 3:!6

What's your stand on hijab row?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. What's your stand on hijab row?

• Hijab should be banned from all govt schools. Govt should enforce this.
    • Hijab or any religious attire should be allowed in all govt schools in India. Govt should enforce this
    • Status quo should be maintained. If it's allowed, let it remain so. If it's banned, don't allow it. Let schools decide it.

4 minutes ago, urbestfriend said:

GOod question, but the sae rights are asked by Hindus and Christians allow them too? I want to wear vibhooti, and safrron shawl , white robes etc? May be it is reactionary, but then who are you to decide that ..

Fact is religious symbols to a certain extent may be allowed but when it becomes your identity , schools are not the place..Keep it outside the education institution..

What purpose do vibhuti and saffron shawl serve apart from being religious symbol?

Hijab serves purpose of covering hair apart from being a religious symbol?

2 minutes ago, urbestfriend said:

GOod question, but the sae rights are asked by Hindus and Christians allow them too? I want to wear vibhooti, and safrron shawl , white robes etc? May be it is reactionary, but then who are you to decide that ..

Fact is religious symbols to a certain extent may be allowed but when it becomes your identity , schools are not the place..Keep it outside the education institution..

I don't decide anything, I'm against the idea of deciding for others in general. 

Have noticed the Om t shirts long long back in college, never thought there was anything wrong with them and wouldn't want them banned either. 

A1XMMO5kueL._UX385_.jpg

1 minute ago, Trichromatic said:

What purpose do vibhuti and saffron shawl serve apart from being religious symbol?

Hijab serves purpose of covering hair apart from being a religious symbol?

It is my fundamental right to profess my religion , this is what these students are also demanding..

2 minutes ago, Clarke said:

I don't decide anything, I'm against the idea of deciding for others in general. 

Have noticed the Om t shirts long long back in college, never thought there was anything wrong with them and wouldn't want them banned either. 

A1XMMO5kueL._UX385_.jpg

These are +1 and +2 kids where there is a uniform..Not a degree college where there is no dress code. 

14 minutes ago, Clarke said:

I know that its all allowed, i'm just puzzled by this stupid controversy. Women should be free to cover themselves unless there are genuine issues like the ones I've mentioned (crime/identity verification).

so i am conflicted on this one, on one end i agree with religious freedom and if hijab is what gets these girls to school/college rather than sitting home so be it however in an already segregate society like ours should we promote differentiating attires which single out a small group of students and creates further divides 

3 minutes ago, urbestfriend said:

These are +1 and +2 kids where there is a uniform..Not a degree college where there is no dress code. 

hmm, is that so ? When I first saw the video, I didn't notice entirety of a uniform among the protesting guys, maybe its the blue shirt now that you mention it. 

I don't think any religious clothing should replace the uniform, thanks for adding the key info here. 

Black hijab with a black scarf tied on the face like a mask exposing only the eyes - teachers complained that they cannot recognize the student. 

Read this timelines, girls wore Hijab in campus , but not in class. This year 6 students wore it in class. School denies the students entry because it is against the uniform code

https://www.indiatimes.com/news/india/udupi-girls-classes-hijab-559908.html

So where do they plan to draw the line ? If hijab is banned, is pagdi allowed ? If a women is married, is mangalsutra allowed ? What about sindoor ? 

This is a slippery slope best avoided unless there are identity verification problems due to burqa (say a woman does not show her face to verify identity), which I don't think is the case here. 

There is no line…they’re anti Muslim.

2 hours ago, Clarke said:

What's wrong with burqa ? Aren't we all used to it ? The women are wearing it by their choice, sure upbringing has a role to play. 

If there were criminals using it as an instrument to hide their identity, its a valid debate, and I'm partially on the side of a ban. That isn't the case here. 

What's your thought on pagdi ? Isn't that a religious symbol too ? Would you want to give it a pass coz it was worn 20 years back too ? Don't these practices change all the time ?

You want burqa to be allowed in school? Pagdi is an essential part of sikhism. Burqa, hijab aren't.