sarchasm

Ranji Trophy 2022

5 hours ago, Vijy said:

Promising test-match candidates who have done decently or more so far in Ranjis:

Sarfaraz Khan: MO run machine

Het Patel/Akshay Wadkar: potential backups to Pant & S. Bharat

Baba Indrajith: MO run machine

Yash Dhull: potential future opener (or No. 3)

Raj Bawa: batting too low (given avg of 50 so far), and not given consistent bowling

Prasidh Krishna: devastating in the matches he's played

Players suited to other formats but doing well in Ranjis:

Shahrukh Khan: batted explosively, but also done some bowling

Riyan Parag: batting and bowling well, but no standout performances as such

Nishant Sindhu: lower-middle-order batting is impressive; bowling is tight but not penetrative (seems a good fit for ODIs IMO)

Abdul Samad: has been overly aggressive, but good to see him bowling some overs too

Arshdeep Singh: has done decently in ranjis, but skills may be better suited for LOIs

Others:

Priyam Garg: not a LOI player, but might be able to make a push for tests

AV Rajput: pace bowling AR/bowler who can bat

Eden Apple Tom: very quick for his age, but also very raw

Shams Mulani: we already have SLA bowlers who bat (Jaddu, Axar, Saurubh) but Mulani seems like another decent back-up

Shahbaz Ahmed: spin-bowling AR with excellent FC record, but I think he is not strong enough in either discipline

Ankit Bawne: continues to still grind runs and is not old, but too many have leaped over him in queue

I did not include promising players who had average or sub-par Ranji seasons so far since that was not the aim of my post. similarly, I only included those who played more than one FC. hence, this is why Nagarkoti was excluded.

@Suhaan @Mosher @express bowling  thoughts?

Good observations.

6 hours ago, Vijy said:

Promising test-match candidates who have done decently or more so far in Ranjis:

Raj Bawa: batting too low (given avg of 50 so far), and not given consistent bowling

Nishant Sindhu: lower-middle-order batting is impressive; bowling is tight but not penetrative (seems a good fit for ODIs IMO)

Abdul Samad: has been overly aggressive, but good to see him bowling some overs too

Arshdeep Singh: has done decently in ranjis, but skills may be better suited for LOIs

Others:

Shams Mulani: we already have SLA bowlers who bat (Jaddu, Axar, Saurubh) but Mulani seems like another decent back-up

Shahbaz Ahmed: spin-bowling AR with excellent FC record, but I think he is not strong enough in either discipline

Ankit Bawne: continues to still grind runs and is not old, but too many have leaped over him in queue

I did not include promising players who had average or sub-par Ranji seasons so far since that was not the aim of my post. similarly, I only included those who played more than one FC. hence, this is why Nagarkoti was excluded.

Impressed with Het Patel.  Looks like a solid batsman.

7 hours ago, Vijy said:

Others:

Need to see Shahrukh khan against pace more

9 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Ranji Trophy players who really stand out for me

Prasidh

Dhull

Sarfraz

Keeping a keen eye on Bawa who has done well too.

Umran and Nagarkoti need to play all games from now on. Both have displayed wicket taking ability.

apart from the four you mentioned, from my list, I'll also add indrajith. rare no. 5/no. 6 type of batter who can play with tail and score at fast SR without taking risks. similar mold as sarfaraz in that sense. also 2 keepers doing well. wadkar has batting avg of close to 60 and has played many clutch knocks for Vidarbha. Het Patel looking good too.

Edited by Vijy
17 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Prasidh Krishna  Krishna 5 wickets in the 2nd match.

15 wickets in the 2 Ranji matches he has played so far.

Prasidh is in great form and needs to be in the test squad now. Hope the selectors don't make the same mistake they did with Saini and select him late. Going forward Bumrah, Shami, Siraj and Prasidh should be our fast bowling attack. 

3 minutes ago, Mosher said:

Prasidh is in great form and needs to be in the test squad now. Hope the selectors don't make the same mistake they did with Saini and select him late. Going forward Bumrah, Shami, Siraj and Prasidh should be our fast bowling attack. 

selectors also need to get sarfaraz in at the right time. not delay his entrance for years and years, as they did with several other domestic batters

34 minutes ago, Mosher said:

Exactly bro.  And maybe add Saini to the pool too as he impressed on that India A tour to SA.

Edited by express bowling
1 hour ago, express bowling said:

Ranji Trophy players who really stand out for me

Prasidh

Dhull

Sarfraz

Keeping a keen eye on Bawa who has done well too.

Umran and Nagarkoti need to play all games from now on. Both have displayed wicket taking ability.

Games are over now. Knockouts will be played after IPL.

16 hours ago, Vijy said:

Dhull has smashed a 3rd 100 in circumstances where delhi could have lost if top-order collapse had occurred. looking very good from what I've seen. excellent temperament, wide range of shots, solid defense, and rapid run scoring.

the bcci.tv has highlights. Looks a lot like shubman gill. The whips, the cuts.. one good thing.. he plays very straight..lots of runs down the ground in the V.. 

1 hour ago, neel roy said:

the bcci.tv has highlights. Looks a lot like shubman gill. The whips, the cuts.. one good thing.. he plays very straight..lots of runs down the ground in the V.. 

yep, and I have seen beyond the highlights too, i.e., when the live version was being broadcast. looks like a great prospect. if anything, he plays a bit more straighter, which could be a good thing on eng/nz type of pitches.