Harshal Patel: how the hell does he manage to pick up wickets every time?

maniac

47 minutes ago, prudent_kreeda said:

Too many people spewing venom just looking at the pace . Let some of new 140+ bowlers bowl to this WI hitters . With just pace & not much deception & control , they won't find the place to hide. 

Why does it have to be just pace or just deception and control  ????

With literally thousands of pacers trying to be effective T20 pacers in our country ... can't we find 4 or 5 pacers who have both !!!!

Both Avesh and Siraj ticked both the boxes in the last IPL  ( and there is Bumrah obviously )

Edited by express bowling
7 minutes ago, express bowling said:

With literally thousands of pacers trying to be effective T20 pacers in our country ... can't we find 4 or 5 pacers who have both !!!!

Both Avesh and Siraj ticked both the boxes in the last IPL  ( and there is Bumrah obviously )

1. Firstly said young ..  so i am not talking about bhumra & co.

2. Also mentioned 3 trundlers too too many .

3. Also i feel there is a place for a medium pacer with deception  & control  in indian T20 .  More so if he happens to be a lower order batter with some batting ability. Hence one of chahar/Harshal has a place 

My logic is  -who can avoid mauling - a younger 140+ bowler with  not much deception & control  or a medium pacer with better variations & control. 

I would not like to see a team of Sani, Avesh , Umran  right now as much as i hate a team of Boobi, Deepak  & Harshal. 

Let Avesh , Saini, Umran  prove against WI , ENG  in T20  before jumping the gun. 

46 minutes ago, express bowling said:

One should think why Bravo survived for so long in T20 even though he was a medium pacer. Was it not due to deception & control.?

Take best proven bowlers of T20 - most of them are great at deception , variation & control be it medium pacers or spinners compared to just plain phaast  less skillful pacers . 

2 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

he has an outstanding loopy slower ball, very similar to bravo. He varies his lengths also well 

He aint a trundler as ppl say he varies his pace well. T20 is about variation in pace n length not just pace pace

Also he has a yorker. A good one in that. He bowled one but it was a wide. Angling in to a left hander. Remember one thing. If you are waiting for a slower ball a sudden yorker is difficult to hit 

harshal n deepak chahar gets unfair flak for pace

A. they aint some 120k bowlers 

B. They have skills for t20 - pace is one of the skill not all the skill , They may not have high pace but they have other skills . At the end effectiveness mattes 

C. not only that bringing extra dimension with bat 

For TM they need to avoid playing similar bowlers as u cant let batsman line u up 

6 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

harshal n deepak chahar gets unfair flak for pace

A. they aint some 120k bowlers 

B. They have skills for t20 - pace is one of the skill not all the skill , They may not have high pace but they have other skills . At the end effectiveness mattes 

C. not only that bringing extra dimension with bat 

For TM they need to avoid playing similar bowlers as u cant let batsman line u up 

Deepak I can uderstand. I hope people don’t think I am comparing but he has that ability to swing the ball and batsmen can’t pick him which way it’s swinging much like Anderson/ Asif or Bhuvi when he started.  That’s what makes him useful. He gets swing even on the flattest and driest of conditions the first 2 overs. If he adds some pace and fitness, he will run through some lineups in SENA with red/pink ball.

Thakur is deceptively sharper than he looks

Harshal I only see slower and knuckle balls.

There are 10 other bowlers in India  I can think on the top of my head who are similar but he must be doing something right picking up bucketloads of wickets every time.

Edited by maniac
2 minutes ago, maniac said:

Deepak I can uderstand. I hope people don’t think I am comparing but he has that ability to swing the ball and batsmen can’t pick him which way it’s swinging much like Anderson/ Asif or Bhuvi when he started.  That’s what makes him useful. He gets swing even on the flattest and driest of conditions the first 2 overs. If he adds some pace and fitness, he will run through some lineups in SENA with red/pink ball.

There are 10 other bowlers in India  I can think on the top of my head who are similar but he must be doing something right picking up bucketloads of wickets every time.

u give too much importance to swing seam turn...yes they are great

but its white ball...lateral movement isnt avl much be it seam ,swing, turn ,reverse.....u hve to resort to variation in pace n lengths

Thakur can be as quick as he wants but his lengths are very poor in LOI which is why his eco is so high, he is very condition dependent

Harshal slower ball isnt easy to face , its a loopy one which bravo had n he used it damn well , till date btw. Its the dip he gets on his slower one which has troubled everyone

Just now, Ankit_sharma03 said:

u give too much importance to swing seam turn...yes they are great

Because they are primary skills for any bowler. 

Sreeshanth or a better version Shami have pace but it’s not just pace it’s their seam

positon that is world class.

anyway let’s see how long that loopy slower ball will bail him out. It has for over 2 years so maybe you are on to something 

Lol at "pace not much with variation, deception is useless"rant as always

Why would not this country will perennially be starved of quality quicks ,when we have fans calling anyone bowling 140+ as "phaaast",pity those fans

They keep on bringing Aaron,Umesh

Who doesn't get hit?the discussd bowler himself was taken for 37 runs by Jadeja of all people,no one bothers to recall it

Imagine something like this to happen with a Prasidh,Umran,Mavi,Tyagi and see the meltdown here

Even a Bumrah is not spared here

How did Umran come into picture,did you all see him bowl so much and filth that some intellectual is professing he won't be effective against good lineups

Or is he has to prove himself everytime he is has control with pace?

I laugh at people who keep returning to this forum to bash Bumrah for his bad outings without acknowledging his achievements and him being the best pacer this country has ever produced

Coincidence,he is "phassst" poor bowler

We have been riding high on our overseas sucess mostly on these phasst bowlers,we have hinged on to wins thanks to these phasst bowlers,test cricket will soon be infested by these so called "variation bowlers"

Lets see how do these bowlers fare in Australia,no less than a WC trophy will be accepted

15 minutes ago, maniac said:

its called variations. He has better variations. Even in that qtr final or qualifier in sf against kkr when kkr was rampant it was harshal who suddenly came and got two wickets to give them a sniff. Also its weird and not sure if everyone noticed or not Harshal grunts after completing his action giving an impression he has bowled a 145 thunderbolt when in actuality its a 123 km in dipper and batsmen gets flummoxed. 

8 minutes ago, maniac said:

Because they are primary skills for any bowler. 

Sreeshanth or a better version Shami have pace but it’s not just pace it’s their seam

positon that is world class.

N im talking about white ball cricket

Sreesanth - never a good white ball bowler

Shami- has been bad in t20 

My point is that was their skill, variation is of harshal . Despite those skills they had issues 

8 minutes ago, maniac said:

anyway let’s see how long that loopy slower ball will bail him out. It has for over 2 years so maybe you are on to something 

thats with everyone once ur plan A gets found outs, its upto them  how they evolve 

1 minute ago, neel roy said:

See my ideal pot for t20 wc will be

Bumrah

Chahar/Thakur/ Harshal ( 2 of them)

prasidh

Avesh

but india will go with bhuv n sham

That is acceptable,but i can give you a more potent attack

Bumrah/prasidh

Siraj

Prasidh/Bumrah

Avesh

Or at best Chahar(purely for his new ball exploits)

Don't need a batting cushion in t20s ,need wicket takers to kill the game rightaway while bowling

7 minutes ago, neel roy said:

See my ideal pot for t20 wc will be

Bumrah

Chahar/Thakur/ Harshal ( 2 of them)

prasidh

Avesh

but india will go with bhuv n sham

These shud be the pool 

1. Bumrah
  2. Siraj
  3. Avesh ( badly need one hit the deck hard length bowler)
  4. Deepak
  5. Prasidh ( to be tested )
  6. harshal/thakur (thakur will do better i feel in Aus)
  7. tyagi (lets see this IPL, feel he gives to much width in initial overs)
  8. Umran 
  9. Nattu (hope he gets fit)
  10. Arshdeep (if he does better even this season)

No way bhuvi shud travel to aus on his current form n fitness , short listing has to start soon n time cant be wasted on bhuvi

Edited by Ankit_sharma03
3 minutes ago, maniac said:

Having a bowling line up of Bumrah, Siraj, Prasidh and Avesh in T20 :laugh:

Add a spinner Chahal

People are forgetting there is only 1 fine leg in the field to hide them.

hehehe yahi to problem , our players are so one dimensional that u solve problem it ll open other holes

with that bowling we also basically will have no lower order 

2 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

hehehe yahi to problem , our players are so one dimensional that u solve problem it ll open other holes

with that bowling we also basically will have no lower order 

Prasidh is a proper no.11 and a terrible fielder. I want him in odi and tests.

Siraj is a gun fielder but a hackish no.10-no 11 bat

Bumrah has improved his batting and fielding both but still an average fielder and a no.10 at best.

Avesh Khan. Correct me if I am wrong but another no.11 and poor fielder the few times I saw him in IPL.

Unless one of these guys start magically bowling 150+, it should always be Bumrah/Siraj and the others to replace one of them.

Bumrah

Siraj

2 out of 3- Thakur/Deepak/Harshal should be the combo in Aus.

9 minutes ago, maniac said:

Prasidh is a proper no.11 and a terrible fielder. I want him in odi and tests.

Siraj is a gun fielder but a hackish no.10-no 11 bat

Bumrah has improved his batting and fielding both but still an average fielder and a no.10 at best.

Avesh Khan. Correct me if I am wrong but another no.11 and poor fielder the few times I saw him in IPL.

Unless one of these guys start magically bowling 150+, it should always be Bumrah/Siraj and the others to replace one of them.

Bumrah

Siraj

2 out of 3- Thakur/Deepak/Harshal should be the combo in Aus.

yes bumrah n siraj shud be locked coz they are all condition-situation bowler. 3rd has to be the one brings something new 

• A left armer- arshdeep or nattu
  • Swing bowler- deepak chahar
  • Hit the deck hard length - Avesh n prasidh , may be umran 
  • Those who can bat - chahar, thakur n harshal

Ideally ill say pick one from each category in squad n then in Final XI makes calls acc to condition n matchup.

• For eg i dnt see us needing batting depth against WI coz they dnt have the bowling- someone like avesh may be even 2 spinner since they suck so much against them
  • Against aussies may be someone who can hit hard length at pace coz maxi n marsh dont like it , even warner reflexes are down for high pace- someone like umran
  • thakur will struggle on small grounds like hobart or canberra but on a ground like MCG he ll do very well specially with the spungy bounce 
Edited by Ankit_sharma03