India abstains

goose

On 2/28/2022 at 3:49 PM, goose said:

i will leave the complex geopolitics to others. india had to abstain. however, that is not a situation to be proud of. this decision will cost it soft power. governments are increasingly moved by their electorates over key decisions.

There are 6 million killed and we still can’t investigate the country from where virus originated. Screw this soft power. International relations is about self interest. At the moment India’s self interest is in restoring peace. Russian attack is no different from any of US attacks or invasions on foreign land. I don’t recall US being sanctioned. 

7 minutes ago, ravishingravi said:

Yes he should be brave and compromise his nation’s interest to reliable western Allies. 

What national interest are you talking about, is it bigger than lives which are being lost. It is not about who allies are , it is about calling Putin  for inflicting this mass murder.

21 minutes ago, ravishingravi said:

Does anyone recall US condemning Israel ? Hmm. Hindus deserve to be treated as dispensable. We are ready to growel at every given opportunity. It’s strange feature. 

why view this through the prism of US. what are India's values? what are yours, that's all one need ask. there is hypocrisy and evil everywhere i agree. choose which evil you want to live under.

39 minutes ago, putrevus said:

What national interest are you talking about, is it bigger than lives which are being lost. It is not about who allies are , it is about calling Putin  for inflicting this mass murder.

Not everyone falls for simplistic narratives like these. Some folks understand history of the regions, agreements with NATO and US pilling missiles in strategic locations. For those folks, there is possibility understanding the nature of conflict and look for sustainable solutions.

GOI's first responsibility is to the people living under its jurisdiction i.e, Indians in India. Those people are being defended by weapons, 60 % of which come from Russia. So, you want us to call him mass murdered and lose all upcoming contracts and servicing contract with Russia, the only country consistently voting for Indian interest. Did US condemn China when your soldiers were killed ? Did EU condemn Bangaldesh when Hindu minority is being slaughtered. I am proud for a change that Indian govt has shown clarity of position. Principles and Interests are always to be balanced in international relations.

36 minutes ago, goose said:

why view this through the prism of US. what are India's values? what are yours, that's all one need ask. there is hypocrisy and evil everywhere i agree. choose which evil you want to live under.

So, I am going to target the country who is responsible for this international "order" and the violation of that order. Plus they are the ones who are virtue signaling to the world about democratic and sovereign values, so they will be at the centre of my attack. But you could add EU, Austraila and others to that list if that makes you feel better.

Simplistic words like "evil" reduce a very nuanced and difficult conflict to typical western narratives. I have friends on both sides and its difficult situation. Not now, but for last 100 years. India's action is spot on. Lets not get into point scoring. First stop the conflict and then we see how to rebuild the situation. 

Edited by ravishingravi

Let’s game this out :

Conflict breaks out between Ukraine and Russia. 

1) India has 60% of its arm and equipments from Russia. 

2) India is not yet Western ally. No one will come to its rescue whether it’s Galwan or 26/11. No one will even condemn those. 

3) However, India is also pivoting towards US. But US has not given it ally status. 

4) EU is impotent at this point. So we can ignore. 

5) India is being pushed to take a position against Russia and support sanctions. 

6) The same US and Allie’s promised Ukraine of protection and asked to give up most of their nuclear arms. The same US recently deserted Afghanistan overnight after an illegal invasion.  So not the most reliable partner. 

You are India. What are your options ? This third grade pure evil stuff doesn’t work when your country’s future is on the line. 

The lessons for India is about the West, not Russia. Russia has its reasons for Ukraine which are directly irrelevant to us.

However, the West has shown everything is politics. Be it banks, digital economy, social media, sports, medicine, civilian airspace. Everything can be weaponized and private companies like Google, Apple will take sides. We have over-dependency on West tech and they can easily take us hostage.

They can win the fight without firing a single bullet. Thus, the need for native tech, financial and military industry.

15 minutes ago, someone said:

The lessons for India is about the West, not Russia. Russia has its reasons for Ukraine which are directly irrelevant to us.

However, the West has shown everything is politics. Be it banks, digital economy, social media, sports, medicine, civilian airspace. Everything can be weaponized and private companies like Google, Apple will take sides. We have over-dependency on West tech and they can easily take us hostage.

They can win the fight without firing a single bullet. Thus, the need for native tech, financial and military industry.

Indeed, the thought of "Atmanirbhar" has proved to be more profound than my wildest imagination. Its key for securing India's furture.

4 hours ago, ravishingravi said:

Not everyone falls for simplistic narratives like these. Some folks understand history of the regions, agreements with NATO and US pilling missiles in strategic locations. For those folks, there is possibility understanding the nature of conflict and look for sustainable solutions.

GOI's first responsibility is to the people living under its jurisdiction i.e, Indians in India. Those people are being defended by weapons, 60 % of which come from Russia. So, you want us to call him mass murdered and lose all upcoming contracts and servicing contract with Russia, the only country consistently voting for Indian interest. Did US condemn China when your soldiers were killed ? Did EU condemn Bangaldesh when Hindu minority is being slaughtered. I am proud for a change that Indian govt has shown clarity of position. Principles and Interests are always to be balanced in international relations.

No GOI's first responsibility is for humanity.Countless innocent lives are being lost due to one man.This has to be stopped before it become much more dangerous. why you keep bringing US into discussion. Who cares what they do or don't do.

13 minutes ago, putrevus said:

No GOI's first responsibility is for humanity.Countless innocent lives are being lost due to one man.This has to be stopped before it become much more dangerous. why you keep bringing US into discussion. Who cares what they do or don't do.

So I am not sure if you don’t get or don’t want to get it. So, let’s say India calls Putin a mass murderer ( in your esteemed words ) and Russia stop supplying weapons and stops servicing the existing artillery to India, what is your plan B here ? 

It’s pretty interesting how servile our kind is. Literally an issue that has nothing to do with India. Created by Russia, EU, NATO, Ukraine and ofcourse US. These countries have now deserted Ukraine after encouraging them knowing fully well the consequences, but India should condemn. 

No wonder this weak servile lot kept getting rolled over. Let them carry the burden of white guilt on the brown shoulders. India should craft its policy for Indians.  

Edited by ravishingravi

3 minutes ago, ravishingravi said:

So I am not sure if you don’t get or don’t want to get it. So, let’s say India calls Putin a mass murderer ( in your esteemed words ) and Russia stop supplying weapons and stops servicing the existing artillery to India, what is your plan B here ? 

There will be another Russian President who will understand what Putin is doing is inhuman and wrong.Do you think all Russian Presidents will be like Putin. Indo Russia relations were there before Putin and will be there after Putin also.Why are innoncent people getting slaughtered for no reason just to satisfy one man's ego.

You still think Putin will survive this meaningless war and continue to be president after this bloodshed.

3 minutes ago, putrevus said:

There will be another Russian President who will understand what Putin is doing is inhuman and wrong.Do you think all Russian Presidents will be like Putin. Indo Russia relations were there before Putin and will be there after Putin also.Why are innoncent people getting slaughtered for no reason just to satisfy one man's ego.

You still think Putin will survive this meaningless war and continue to be president after this bloodshed.

Well no country is going to build a foreign policy based on hypothetical future outcome. If India picks a side here and  Putin remains, what should we do for the fellow Indians who défenses are exposed.  Ukraine did exactly this and trusted western allies on future outcome and look where it finds itself. Abandoned and isolated.  

It’s easy to have simplistic opinion but it’s difficulty to consider second and third order effects. Hate to break it you but No country is in this for humanity. Every country is evaluating opportunities and risks. But we should be foolish and give up all our hedge for humanity. Interesting.

5 hours ago, someone said:

West needs sacrificial lamb to justify its war against formidable enemy.As usual it feeds him for years before sacrifice. Important is, be a China aNd not Afghanistan/Ukraine 

Edited by mishra