Building the team for T20 WC in Aus 2022

zen

28 minutes ago, zen said:

Too early for a WC 11 which is why I listed the short list from which one can pick the final squad beginning with Asia Cup & the series versus Aus ... It is important to give key players a chance in the series against SA, Eng, & WI 

However, at this point (based on current info so there is no perfect 11), if I have to put a 16 member squad: 

#1-2 KL & Samson (both play pace & bounce well) 

#3 SKY 

#4 Pant

#5 SDP (Hardik) 

#6 DK (considering form, motivation and experience)

#7 D Chahar (utility slot. Chahar to bowl in PP & can bat too) 

#8 Moshin (bounce & pace variations) 

#9 Kuldeep (a mystery variety relatively speaking. can swing his bat too) 

#10 Umran (for pace) ... can play a 2nd spinner (Yuzi) here as well 

#11 Bumrah (for experience)

#12 Gill 

#13 Hooda - improved batsman against pace & bounce, can bat anywhere, and slip in a few overs of off-spin if needed 

# 14 Yuzi - wkt taking leg spinner

#15 Arshdeep - for accuracy and backup for left arm pacer 

#16 Thakur or equivalent - utility slot backup 

Other than Sanju Samson, no complaints here.  I cannot deal with his level of inconsistency. 

The whole point of my XI was to slot in guys who have great, unrealized potential, hunger and athleticism.  I was even tempted to include Umran over Bumrah, but simply couldn't leave out Bumrah in Australia.   

28 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Other than Sanju Samson, no complaints here.  I cannot deal with his level of inconsistency. 

The whole point of my XI was to slot in guys who have great, unrealized potential, hunger and athleticism.  I was even tempted to include Umran over Bumrah, but simply couldn't leave out Bumrah in Australia.   

If Samson can win a couple of game and/or provide quick starts to set the game up, which he can on Aus pitches, it is job done 

In trying to achieve “consistency” (by restricting yourself many times) you do not want to sacrifice free flowing positive cricket, which can help a team win the tournament

Edited by zen
13 hours ago, zen said:

If Samson can win a couple of game and/or provide quick starts to set the game up, which he can on Aus pitches, it is job done 

In trying to achieve “consistency” (by restricting yourself many times) you do not want to sacrifice free flowing positive cricket, which can help a team win the tournament

Sanju hasn't won any tournament to any team in his career.