Sunil Gavaskar needs to be banned from commentary

2 hours ago, dilliboy said:

After his insensitive and tone deaf comments after Shane Warne's passing, Gavaskar came up with this inane remark on commentary today after Karunaratne took the review...

Sunil Gavaskar before taking the review: "There are 3 reviews, you should definitely take them"

2 minutes later after the decision is out

"What a stupid review. Bad decision to take it"

Seriously this guy's stature has led him to getting away with absolutely mediocre commentary over the years which coupled with his senility makes him just torturous to listen to any more. Do we really not have any decent commentators in the country that we need to pander to this geriatric? 

He is fine as long as he talks about technique and batting in general but there should be someone in the booth to rein him in if he goes offcourse.Regarding review even great Richie Benaud made the mistake in biggest stage in 1983 finals calling Richards shot great shot and then changing it to not so good. It happens to all of them in the heat of moment they say one thing and after watching replays say another thing.

2 hours ago, goose said:

there's a reason Nasser and Atherton don't get gigs overseas or in IPL, they say what they think always.

I enjoy Nasser's commentary and analysis a lot, but Atherton is a PC dude who often says nonsense when it suits his agenda.  Of course he tries to cloak it in 'posh' language and attempts to namecheck the appropriate boxes.  But he aint no straight shooter.  

55 minutes ago, sandeep said:

I enjoy Nasser's commentary and analysis a lot, but Atherton is a PC dude who often says nonsense when it suits his agenda.  Of course he tries to cloak it in 'posh' language and attempts to namecheck the appropriate boxes.  But he aint no straight shooter.  

maybe. that's just how he speaks, can't hold that against him. command of language is an asset. him + nasser + rob key put out great youtube content for sky sports.

Oh how i miss these 5

Tony Greig : Saachiin thenduklaar, little Kaluuu

Geoff Boycott: Absolute Roobish

Bill Lawry:: Thats a rippperr…

Richie Benaud: Thats a very good shot

Henry Blofield : in his inimitable style

18 minutes ago, neel roy said:

Oh how i miss these 5

Lawry was my favourite..

"Got Him!!"

"It's all happening!"

I just put him on Mute whenever he is ON and avoid all his takes/interviews to avoid feeling second hand Embarrassment.

He was my introduction to this beautiful game back in 79'. All of us Huddled up at my neighbors house (Only TV in our vicinity) and my dad holding a Murphy radio which transmitted 10 seconds early data as compared to the visuals. Batting like a wall that day with a majestic double century innings to hold off the legendary West Indian bowling attack.

That's the legacy I want to remember him by...

Edited by nikrulz
3 hours ago, neel roy said:

Oh how i miss these 5

tony cozier was good too. most on this forum won't remember but channel IX in 80s was really good, and so was BBC's test match special(s) in that period

22 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

He is  taking shots and Warne based on his performance against India.  So he must be rating Paul adams, Nickky Boje, Imran Tahir very high. 

as per Senile Sunny, Richie Benaud must be the greatest spin bowler of all time if only performance vs Ind is considered.

12 hours ago, goose said:

maybe. that's just how he speaks, can't hold that against him. command of language is an asset. him + nasser + rob key put out great youtube content for sky sports.

yeah, Rob Key grew a lot on me what little I have watched of him.  He's a much better analyst than he was a cricketer, I'll say that.  

Its not about 'how' Athers speaks - its the content I was referring to.  But anyway, its not like I review his full output, just some of the stuff that he puts out, primarily when India tour etc.  Agree to disagree, I don't rate him that high, especially on "saying what he thinks".  Or maybe its his thinking that's bit of a mess.  

Nasser, I like a lot - even if when I don't agree with him.  Quality analyst.  

On the odd occassions when gavaskar has commentated for non-Indian channels he has been rather good. Even now when he feels strongly about something and speaks his mind or analyses something he is on point but otherwise he is just a boring cliche machine whose attempts to be funny always come across as lame and unnatural. 

The only Indian commentator with some sense of occassion is Shastri.

8 hours ago, rollingstoned said:

On the odd occassions when gavaskar has commentated for non-Indian channels he has been rather good. Even now when he feels strongly about something and speaks his mind or analyses something he is on point but otherwise he is just a boring cliche machine whose attempts to be funny always come across as lame and unnatural. 

The only Indian commentator with some sense of occassion is Shastri.

yeh. thank god he was on during the six sixes from yuvraj