Sunil Gavaskar needs to be banned from commentary

Sunil Gavaskar is a classic case of the adage: "Great Cricket Players don't make great Cricket observers".

His observations, insights, team selection suggestions are all horribly wrong. He was very good at only one aspect of cricket. i.e. batting, that too only in Test cricket. He has absolutely no clue about what constitutes a good team, what a winning strategy should look like, etc. Even when he is commenting, he is more concerned about individual careers rather than what is best in the team interest. His shameless backing of Pujara despite repeated failures showed that he didn't really care about what is in the best interest of the team

3 hours ago, Texan said:

Sunil Gavaskar is a classic case of the adage: "Great Cricket Players don't make great Cricket observers".

His observations, insights, team selection suggestions are all horribly wrong. He was very good at only one aspect of cricket. i.e. batting, that too only in Test cricket. He has absolutely no clue about what constitutes a good team, what a winning strategy should look like, etc. Even when he is commenting, he is more concerned about individual careers rather than what is best in the team interest. His shameless backing of Pujara despite repeated failures showed that he didn't really care about what is in the best interest of the team

It is just surprising that the same guy who quit cricket while still close to the top of his game has lost the self-awareness to realize that he needs to put away the microphone now.

13 hours ago, Texan said:

What a chump!??!?!! If anything he could've just said that Shane is one among the greats if not the greatest. But no, that would be asking for too much.

A relic from the old school Mumbai Cricket Mafia, that's what Sunil Gavaskar is. To see his real nature just have a Mumbai or Maharashtra based player score a few or take a wicket, he praises them to the moon and back. Of course in today's day & age this doesn't go unnoticed; as others have also pointed out in this thread. This regional bigotry has damaged Indian cricket across decades, more in the bygone era than now(thankfully).

Chuckte Raho

TC

18 hours ago, Texan said:

If you listened to Shane Warne, you heard opposite.All you heard is strategies on how team should be playing to get a win from any position.Warne rarely talked about milestones.

6 hours ago, putrevus said:

If you listened to Shane Warne, you heard opposite.All you heard is strategies on how team should be playing to get a win from any position.Warne rarely talked about milestones.

Boils down to what the TV audience wants to hear. If I had to hazard a guess, the broader Indian audience are looking for anecdotes. For jokes. For entertainment. 

That's why a Siddhu, who is very superficial with his analysis and is high on the entertainment quotient is sought after by the TV channels. 

The Australian /BBL crowd on the other hand prefer some talk on strategies. 

This is why I find Harsha unbearable. He has no anecdotes to share. And for someone who has NEVER played the game he drones on in his nasal twang about what India/Dhoni/Kohli/Bumrah do to win the game from there on.

3 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Boils down to what the TV audience wants to hear. If I had to hazard a guess, the broader Indian audience are looking for anecdotes. For jokes. For entertainment. 

That's why a Siddhu, who is very superficial with his analysis and is high on the entertainment quotient is sought after by the TV channels. 

This is why I find Harsha unbearable. He has no anecdotes to share. And for someone who has NEVER played the game he drones on in his nasal twang about what India/Dhoni/Kohli/Bumrah do to win the game from there on.

It all boils down to your nature as a player.Warne was a winner who played on winning teams. They played to win every match. Sunny played to draw matches.So he was more focussed on his personal milestones.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/india-tour-of-australia-1985-86-62298/australia-vs-india-2nd-test-63419/full-scorecard

Classic example :120 odd to win , test and most problably win the series for first time in Australia  and rain forecast after tea. What does Gavasker do, he scores 8 runs or 68 balls. The test and series ends in a draw.It takes another 17 years for India to win a series in Australia.

Mind you he was in terrific form with bat in that series.

5 hours ago, Mariyam said:

His high pitched nasal twang is unbearable. And he speaks too fast. And he swallows his words without ever pronouncing them clearly.

Don't know what broadcasters see in him.

5 hours ago, Mariyam said:

:hysterical: True. He will share the anecdotes of others lol

25 minutes ago, EnterTheVoid said:

His high pitched nasal twang is unbearable. And he speaks too fast. And he swallows his words without ever pronouncing them clearly.

He is straight from radio. I thought he would transition over a period. Alas not. He is still behaving like he is doing a radio commentary

3 hours ago, EnterTheVoid said:

because of his adequate command over the english language, which most indian commentators struggle with, he has come to be seen as a suitable candidate for the "post totty" category, owing to which he has been selected time and again

3 hours ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

Even Rajdeep Sardesai need to be criticized. In that whole interview he was smiling as if its a celebration moment. Someone just died and he laughs and asks if he was the greatest spinner ever.

Narada ... 

On 3/6/2022 at 5:09 PM, sage said:

I like listening to Gavaskar orgasm on air whenever a batsman takes a single after a boundary

And by gawd ... the constant reference to gap between bat and pad ... in an LOI. 

Shouldn't crib too much - the guy is the GOAT opener and truly brought an air of respectability to Indian cricket.  His success was mainly because of his technical prowess, relentless patience, courage and strength of character. 

3 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

And by gawd ... the constant reference to gap between bat and pad ... in an LOI. 

Shouldn't crib too much - the guy is the GOAT opener and truly brought an air of respectability to Indian cricket.  His success was mainly because of his technical prowess, relentless patience, courage and strength of character. 

and also making hay when the sun shines. ground weak(er) attacks to dust.