Can Vihari and Shreyas be the long term replacements for Pujara and Rahane for Indian test team

Iyer - yes, looks promising

Vihari - I don't think so

I hope I am wrong about Vihari, but he doesn't look the best option to me. I would prefer Gill or Sarfaraz over this guy. He had a great opportunity in this series against a weak Lankan bowling lineup at home, but in my opinion, he squandered it. He should have gone on to make a big hundred in the first Test. In the second also, despite starts, he could not convert. Overseas, he hasn't showed enough potential yet. Despite the valiant effort in Aus in that innings to save the Test, overall he averages 20 in Aus after 10 innings.

2 minutes ago, Texan said:

Iyer - yes, looks promising

Vihari - I don't think so

I hope I am wrong about Vihari, but he doesn't look the best option to me. I would prefer Gill or Sarfaraz over this guy. He had a great opportunity in this series against a weak Lankan bowling lineup at home, but in my opinion, he squandered it. He should have gone on to make a big hundred in the first Test. In the second also, despite starts, he could not convert. Overseas, he hasn't showed enough potential yet. Despite the valiant effort in Aus in that innings to save the Test, overall he averages 20 in Aus after 10 innings.

vihari feels like late career chepu at times. gritty, plays valuable knocks (30s to 50s), but does not get the big runs. hopefully, he can turn it around and make some 100s and 50s. sarfaraz is in red hot form. should have been in indian setup already.

5 minutes ago, Vijy said:

vihari feels like late career chepu at times. gritty, plays valuable knocks (30s to 50s), but does not get the big runs. hopefully, he can turn it around and make some 100s and 50s. sarfaraz is in red hot form. should have been in indian setup already.

so far Vihari mostly played away. Needs a run of 10 Tests at home to see if he can make tons. 

We won't travel away much for a while.   Shreyas might work in next final Edgbaston test as it is no Trent Bridge or Leeds/Manchester Where ball hoops around.  Although no Asian side has won there yet but still not that hostile. 

We will likely tour SL WI & NZ in our next cycle. 

1 minute ago, Lord said:

so far Vihari mostly played away. Needs a run of 10 Tests at home to see if he can make tons. 

I know he's played in challenging conditions both home and away, but he does need to convert more 30s to 50s and then 50s to 100s. right now, he seems very good at getting to 30s-40s and then an unplayable ball arrived after which he gets out. I like him - he is a solid and unassuming cricketer, can also bowl useful offies, etc. even so, he does need to raise his game given the competition from gill, sarfaraz, iyer, etc. Even likes of Yash Dhull looking ahead are shaping up well.

12 minutes ago, Lord said:

Having home/away bats creates lot of uncertainty. Will you drop a guy who had a great home series for someone else who is tipped to be better overseas?Like say Shreyas for Gill/Sundar, Its a tough decision.

Again..why should it be? Axar picked gazillion wickets against England at home but didn't we drop him for the games in England right after? Why can't we use the same treatment for batters? All it needs is a clear cut communication between the TM and the players. 

Trust me..The days of a "set" starting XI, "set" batting lineup etc are going to come to an end very very soon with the advent of enormous workloads and shitty/greedy scheduling. Only the teams with good depth and a conditions-specific player pool would be able to do well.. especially in test cricket. 

5 minutes ago, Norman said:

Again..why should it be? Axar picked gazillion wickets against England at home but didn't we drop him for the games in England right after? Why can't we use the same treatment for batters? All it needs is a clear cut communication between the TM and the players. 

Trust me..The days of a "set" starting XI, "set" batting lineup etc are going to come to an end very very soon with the advent of enormous workloads and shitty/greedy scheduling. Only the teams with good depth and a conditions-specific player pool would be able to do well.. especially in test cricket. 

Because bowlers depend more on surface and its clear that spinners will have tougher time in SENA vs a pacer. Batsman are expected to overcome the challenges overseas else face the boot,unless they are very good at home like Sehwag.

Workload management is different thing. But it can't be based on home-away games.

15 minutes ago, Vijy said:

I know he's played in challenging conditions both home and away, but he does need to convert more 30s to 50s and then 50s to 100s. right now, he seems very good at getting to 30s-40s and then an unplayable ball arrived after which he gets out. I like him - he is a solid and unassuming cricketer, can also bowl useful offies, etc. even so, he does need to raise his game given the competition from gill, sarfaraz, iyer, etc. Even likes of Yash Dhull looking ahead are shaping up well.

Even Vihari has does very well in FC. Averages 60 IIRC.

Its his 2nd series at home. If this pattern stays we can replace him,but hes one guy who can provide solidity and have stroke makers around him.

Also hes batted lower earlier so tougher to convert unless you play attacking like Pant,same problem Jaddu faces.

14 minutes ago, Norman said:

Should be nowhere near the team until he improves his fitness... considerably. 

he is not that diff from pant, and is in better shape than rohit. he has reduced a bit when I saw this year's ranji game(s). as long as he execute his primary skills properly, body shape shouldn't be the thing barring someone from selection

2 minutes ago, Vijy said:

he is not that diff from pant, and is in better shape than rohit. he has reduced a bit when I saw this year's ranji game(s). as long as he execute his primary skills properly, body shape shouldn't be the thing barring someone from selection

that's him on recent SA tour. No belly, though short height makes him look chubby

v97d3suo_sarfaraz-khan-bccitwitter_625x300_02_December_21.png?im=FaceCrop,algorithm=dnn,width=806,height=605

5 hours ago, Vijy said:

I have my doubts on Sarfaraz. Does he have the game to succeed overseas and his fitness is not good either.

2 hours ago, Majestic said:

I have my doubts on Sarfaraz. Does he have the game to succeed overseas and his fitness is not good either.

yes, he does - he scored a gritty 50 against SA A on bowling-friendly pitches and even in the 2nd test, he tried to stick around. his fitness has also improved. however, he is not a no. 3 batter. that place is suitable for gill

Edited by Vijy
18 minutes ago, GautiMaan said:

The benchmark should be Dravid and Laxman who Pujara and Rahane could never equal

Not even a quarter of those 2. Well prime puji was as good as laxman only in Australia. Everywhere else he dint do well. In Asia yes in his prime he was a beast.

22 hours ago, Lord said:

Because bowlers depend more on surface and its clear that spinners will have tougher time in SENA vs a pacer. Batsman are expected to overcome the challenges overseas else face the boot,unless they are very good at home like Sehwag.

Workload management is different thing. But it can't be based on home-away games.

And how is not true for batters? Few batters know how to dominate spin on turners and few others know how to tackle seam swing and hostile pace in seam friendly conditions. As I said, all it needs is a clear effective communication between the selectors, TM and the players.