Lyrically Challenged Inanities

Mariyam

16 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Why incorporate foreign phrases? Do we have a dearth of upamaana/upameya in our literature? Facking self loathing sellouts these neo Bollywoodiyas! How would one in India on the street relate to a phrase “nami daanum” . Idiots

I actually enjoy that kind of fusion language (as I do fusion cuisines).  Since time immemorial, languages have merged, collaborated, borrowed, stolen from one another, leading to a rich diversity of expressions.  Some of my favorite language/dialects are Dharwad/Belgaum Kannada (what a cool amalgam of Kannada and Marathi words), Hyderabad Kannada (Kannada and Urdu) etc.  If a song writer has some language roots that they want to use to express themselves in a certain way, let them.

But Nami daanum?  Even after hearing it from NFAK, it sounds like a Tamizh word.  Maybe some Persian poet stole it from Tirunelveli or something. 

Edited by BacktoCricaddict

It’s very difficult to write lyrics in Indian languages (Hindi or other regional languages) for a western beat/ rhythm.

there is a reason why songs composed in traditional melodies or raagas usually have the best lyrics. 

Guys like A R Rehman or the modern composers influenced by him usually have the worst lyrics even though their music becomes a hit. Obviously Rehman’s traditional compositions have better lyrics.

Having said that not an excuse to right lyrics like Doodh ban jaungi, Javed bhai so re le etc.

15 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

I actually enjoy that kind of fusion language (as I do fusion cuisines).  Since time immemorial, languages have merged, collaborated, borrowed, stolen from one another, leading to a rich diversity of expressions.  Some of my favorite language/dialects are Dharwad/Belgaum Kannada (what a cool amalgam of Kannada and Marathi words), Hyderabad Kannada (Kannada and Urdu) etc.  If a song writer has some language roots that they want to use to express themselves in a certain way, let them.

But Nami daanum?  Even after hearing it from NFAK, it sounds like a Tamizh word.  Maybe some Persian poet stole it from Tirunelveli or something. 

Not debating on fusion of Indian languages, talking about Farsi and that too so uncommon phrase, trying to be sophisticated for the sake of it.

Incidently, this is a good read from Baradwaj Rangan on a he Hindu

At least this last question found an answer. A young poet who was part of the audience spoke of the song ‘Kamli’ from Dhoom 3 , and how he got stuck at the phrase ‘nami daanam’. He Googled it up, found out it means “I don’t know” in Persian, and a few days later, he found he’d forgotten the meaning. That could be a subject for another day: When we are bombarded with so much new information every day, is the problem one of remembering lyrics or simply remembering anything at all?”

https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/movies/The-lost-word/article16800962.ece

In that Anu Malik classic - Oonchi hai building 

Oonchi hain building

lift teri bandh hain

Kaise main aaoon 

Dil razamand hain

What follows this by Jaspunder Narula doesn’t make sense at all, somebody debug this.

Aaja aaja meri sagarwale raja

WTF is sagarwale ?

18 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Why incorporate foreign phrases? Do we have a dearth of upamaana/upameya in our literature? Facking self loathing sellouts these neo Bollywoodiyas! How would one in India on the street relate to a phrase “nami daanum” . Idiots

they aren't supposed to.

27 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

In that Anu Malik classic - Oonchi hai building 

Oonchi hain building

lift teri bandh hain

Kaise main aaoon 

Dil razamand hain

What follows this by Jaspunder Narula doesn’t make sense at all, somebody debug this.

Aaja aaja meri sagarwale raja

WTF is sagarwale ?

swagger wale*