Prithvi Shaw fails yo yo test at NCA

Serpico

Explained: What is the Yo-Yo test?

The Yo-Yo test is a variation of the Beep test, a running aerobic fitness test that involves running between two sets of cones that are 20 metres apart (incidentally the length of a cricket pitch). 

Once the beep is sounded, a player has to reach the cone on the other side at the next beep. The player then has to return to the initial cone before the third beep sounds. Once the return trip is done, it marks the completion of a shuttle. 

There’s a seven second recovery period between each shuttle. As the level of each shuttle goes up, the duration benchmark for the completion of the shuttle decreases. The number of shuttles per level increases too although not mathematically. This leads to an increase in the running speed.

It starts with level 5, which consists of one shuttle, level 11 has two shuttles and so on and gets gruelling as it progresses. Level 23 is the highest.

Once a player misses two beeps, their test ends. The process is software-based and the results are recorded.

The benchmark level for the Indian cricket team is 16:1, which covers 1120 metres.

The level for New Zealand cricketers is set at 20:1.

How have Indian cricket players fared in the Yo-Yo test?

While India’s benchmark Yo-Yo score is set at 16.1, there are cricketers who have gone beyond it.

India captain Virat Kohli recorded a score of 19 in the Yo-Yo test but he has three strong competitors in domestic cricket who have recorded higher scores.

According to a report in PTI, Indian players Manish Pandey, Karun Nair and Mayank Dagar bettered Kohli’s Yo-Yo test record. While Pandey touched the 19.2 mark, Himachal Pradesh cricketer and a former member of the India Under-19 squad Mayank Dagar recorded 19.3 in his test.

Additionally, Karnataka cricketer Karun Nair has also broken Virat Kohli’s record and was called the fittest cricketer in the Indian set up by Shankar Basu. However, his test results were not revealed.

8 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

Explained: What is the Yo-Yo test?

The Yo-Yo test is a variation of the Beep test, a running aerobic fitness test that involves running between two sets of cones that are 20 metres apart (incidentally the length of a cricket pitch). 

Once the beep is sounded, a player has to reach the cone on the other side at the next beep. The player then has to return to the initial cone before the third beep sounds. Once the return trip is done, it marks the completion of a shuttle. 

There’s a seven second recovery period between each shuttle. As the level of each shuttle goes up, the duration benchmark for the completion of the shuttle decreases. The number of shuttles per level increases too although not mathematically. This leads to an increase in the running speed.

It starts with level 5, which consists of one shuttle, level 11 has two shuttles and so on and gets gruelling as it progresses. Level 23 is the highest.

Once a player misses two beeps, their test ends. The process is software-based and the results are recorded.

The benchmark level for the Indian cricket team is 16:1, which covers 1120 metres.

The level for New Zealand cricketers is set at 20:1.

How have Indian cricket players fared in the Yo-Yo test?

While India’s benchmark Yo-Yo score is set at 16.1, there are cricketers who have gone beyond it.

India captain Virat Kohli recorded a score of 19 in the Yo-Yo test but he has three strong competitors in domestic cricket who have recorded higher scores.

According to a report in PTI, Indian players Manish Pandey, Karun Nair and Mayank Dagar bettered Kohli’s Yo-Yo test record. While Pandey touched the 19.2 mark, Himachal Pradesh cricketer and a former member of the India Under-19 squad Mayank Dagar recorded 19.3 in his test.

Additionally, Karnataka cricketer Karun Nair has also broken Virat Kohli’s record and was called the fittest cricketer in the Indian set up by Shankar Basu. However, his test results were not revealed.

So, the expected level for NZ is 20:1 and none of the Ind players in domestics or int'ls have crossed it? If correct, it shows how pathetic Indian fitness is

11 hours ago, Vijy said:

So, the expected level for NZ is 20:1 and none of the Ind players in domestics or int'ls have crossed it? If correct, it shows how pathetic Indian fitness is

SC teams are generally less fitter than likes of Aus,NZ,SA. Even our best fielders like Jadeja,Raina have got nothing on Faf,Baz,ABDV etc

11 hours ago, Vijy said:

41 minutes ago, Lord said:

SC teams are generally less fitter than likes of Aus,NZ,SA. Even our best fielders like Jadeja,Raina have got nothing on Faf,Baz,ABDV etc

Yes that's embarrassing. Now it makes sense why our fielding sucks and we drop catches. Aussies have 18:1 fitness level. Not sure about England. 

We need to up this seriously. 19:1 then we won't lose even the very little amount of games we lose away from home.

Although you got to factor in conditions. Running like a retard in the hot blazing sun of Mumbai or chennai is a lot lot harder and gruelling then running in cold kiwi and England weather conditions. Also Aussies have decent weather unlike endiaaans.  

Pak must have 13:1 lmao. 

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Yes that's embarrassing. Now it makes sense why our fielding sucks and we drop catches. Aussies have 18:1 fitness level. Not sure about England. 

We need to up this seriously. 19:1 then we won't lose even the very little amount of games we lose away from home.

Although you got to factor in conditions. Running like a retard in the hot blazing sun of Mumbai or chennai is a lot lot harder and gruelling then running in cold kiwi and England weather conditions. Also Aussies have decent weather unlike endiaaans.  

Not sure that can be given an excuse for dropping catches though. Catching is above skill and correct application. Even our previous generation of fab-5 were not great fielders but excellent catchers. That goes a long way in helping team winning test matches.

1 hour ago, sarcastic said:

Not sure that can be given an excuse for dropping catches though. Catching is above skill and correct application. Even our previous generation of fab-5 were not great fielders but excellent catchers. That goes a long way in helping team winning test matches.

Prasidh, Chahal, Siraj, Bumrah all 4 are capable of putting down dollies consistently

12 hours ago, Jay said:

running in the cold is hard too, albeit in diff ways.

1 hour ago, Vijy said:

don't forget the ultimate Glass-man Sundar.

Sundar's injury is weird. One is finger injury caused by Siraj's bouncer. Then  he picked up COVID.  Hamstring injury s the one that is preventable. If players don't focus on stretching they pick up these injuries.  Your body should be flexible enough to withstand all the stretching you do while running between the wickets, fielding  Shreyas Iyer does some intense stretching, cardio work out. Shami has also found a method to improve his flexibility.

48 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Sundar's injury is weird. One is finger injury caused by Siraj's bouncer. Then  he picked up COVID.  Hamstring injury s the one that is preventable. If players don't focus on stretching they pick up these injuries.  Your body should be flexible enough to withstand all the stretching you do while running between the wickets, fielding  Shreyas Iyer does some intense stretching, cardio work out. Shami has also found a method to improve his flexibility.

he has been out of international action for a very long time now. it feels more than just random injuries at this point.

There is probably a variety of reasons why SENA cricketers may be fitter than SC players. Genetics a key role here.

However, one thing down under in Australia, is that kids here grow up playing AFL or Rugby, so you have to learn to run be fast, strong and fit from early on. Sure its not every kid, but most kids, yes. This sets up the kids for a decent foundation of fitness later in life. Not to mention, that sports is part of the educational curriculum. We have time in the day, in which kids play active sports.

In India, you can be overweight, even obese and still be a "good cricketer".

46 minutes ago, SRT100 said:

There is probably a variety of reasons why SENA cricketers may be fitter than SC players. Genetics a key role here.

However, one thing down under in Australia, is that kids here grow up playing AFL or Rugby, so you have to learn to run be fast, strong and fit from early on. Sure its not every kid, but most kids, yes. This sets up the kids for a decent foundation of fitness later in life. Not to mention, that sports is part of the educational curriculum. We have time in the day, in which kids play active sports.

In India, you can be overweight, even obese and still be a "good cricketer".

genetics is definitely important, but not the whole story in my opinion. I have seen several fit people in Indian rural areas who are not only strong but also agile. In fact, in my childhood long ago, Indian kids were really good at underrated sports like kabaddi that involved not just strength but also agility. I feel the potential is still there, but too many who make it to higher levels seem to just coast along by doing the min required and relying on "talent" for the rest.

37 minutes ago, Vijy said:

genetics is definitely important, but not the whole story in my opinion. I have seen several fit people in Indian rural areas who are not only strong but also agile. In fact, in my childhood long ago, Indian kids were really good at underrated sports like kabaddi that involved not just strength but also agility. I feel the potential is still there, but too many who make it to higher levels seem to just coast along by doing the min required and relying on "talent" for the rest.

This is the truth. People who say genetics is more important are very likely lazy themselves or bust haven't tried hard enough to reach their potential. Your upbringing makes a major difference. 

I have seen pipsqueak looking Indian kids on streets who do hard labour work lift over 100 kg stacks of hay/grain etc like its nothing. Imagine them on a proper diet. 

58 minutes ago, Vijy said:

Shami's new found fitness routine is amazing. Same way Zaheer Khan used to get injured very frequently. Then he played county cricket. That is where he really became a fit fast bowler. From that point he was a  different bowler.

I have done beep test. Hit level 12 on it cor soccer and puked out. Highest on my team had 14. This was 4 yeara ago. This yo test seems totally different. 

Starts from level 5 to 23. And has intervals with different setups. Yo yo looks slightly easier? Until you hit the above 15 levels. 

9 hours ago, Jay said:

I have done beep test. Hit level 12 on it cor soccer and puked out. Highest on my team had 14. This was 4 yeara ago. 

Damn you are good bro. Did them twice last year, couldnt make it past level 10, some serious fitness needed above 12