Under_Score

Progress of Punjab under the new leadership of Bhagwant Mann

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, bharathh said:

Why did he have to cut down 100 acres worth of standing crops for his inauguration and waste money in an already debt ridden state? 

Actually it was 40 acres of crop razed....still quite a bit, may be expected a very large turnout due to the big win....Hopefully it is not repeated for other occasions during his tenure.

https://www.indiatimes.com/news/india/40-acres-wheat-crop-razed-bhagwant-mann-oath-taking-ceremony-punjab-venue-564459.html

Edited by Under_Score

Seemed to be more to make a symbolic statement when the governors hall already exists for events like this.

In addition to the unnecessary expenses a waste of crops and all the resources like water that went into growing them. Therenis already a paucity of water in Punjab. 

Edited by bharathh

5 hours ago, bharathh said:

Seemed to be more to make a symbolic statement when the governors hall already exists for events like this.

In addition to the unnecessary expenses a waste of crops and all the resources like water that went into growing them. Therenis already a paucity of water in Punjab. 

This is a small town and my understanding is there was no large venue available. Nonetheless cutting crop is not right.

55 minutes ago, Gambit said:

It is only in India’s interests for non BJP govts to showcase strong governance to keep BJP on their toes.

All the best to AAP. This time they have no excuse of central govt interference and they also own the entire winter pollution supply chain.

I absolutely disagree with AAPs approach in Delhi however like you i do hope they do well in Punjab. 

3 hours ago, Khota said:

This is a small town and my understanding is there was no large venue available. Nonetheless cutting crop is not right.

Yes...Also the significance was to take the oath at Shaheed Bhagat Singh's village. First time CM & one time kind of situation it seems. 

Key indicator, Peoples earning, moratlity among kids, rate of growth of Health and other infra, GDP growth rate, industrial or service output, I am saying it today that all of above will not beat any of BJP ruled sates and most likely it won’t beat Capt Amrindher era as well.

Ie , There won’t be progress. Progress can be delivered by better and efficient administrator which AAP has none.  There may be a certain exception in some sector. I expect AAP and its supporter to just keep retweeting that. In worse case, Punjab will regress vis a vis itself

Edited by mishra

1 hour ago, Dery said:

Free basic electricity & pensions for women is a good start

Why do ppl need free electricity and women need pensions? Does it not cost the state any money to generate/buy the electricity? Why not at least recover the cost price? 

According to this AAP earmarked 3090 crores for electricity for the scheme... Delhi has approx 1.9c residents.. so about 1626/resident. Punjab has 3.1C population. Even if say consumption is less by 30% approx 3600C would need to be allocated for this. An additional observation is that electricity consumption has increased substantially in Delhi due to free electricity - so this number will keep going up. Currently Electricity revenue is almost 10% of the state revenue (37000C out of a budget of 168,000C). State only makes back 22% of its budget in revenue vs Delhi at 80%. 

Also how does 1000 Rs help women - and also why only women? Are there not struggling men or people of other genders as well? Is there any basis for Rs,1000? How are they supposed to benefit from that number? Was there any study done that corroborates how this will improve women's lives or was this just pulled out of thin air? There are an estimated 14.4 M women in Punjab (https://www.indiacensus.net/states/punjab). Giving each 1000 rs. will cost the state 14.4 B rs or 1440 crore rupees - not including the amount money required for the overhead and logistics of doing this.

Punjab's last budget was Rs 1,68,015 crore. This freebie is 1% of the budget. Electricity is 2.5% of the budget.

Even let's say the state could afford this what is the oversight and accountability of ensuring that the women actually do get that money. How is AAP sure that the women are the ones using the money or that it even reaches the right person? Do they have any control measures in place to ensure no fraud happens? Are there any penalties for others taking away the money from their women? 

Edited by bharathh

6 hours ago, bharathh said:

Btw this does not include the amount spent by the center on Punjab for MSP purchases and other grants. 

See, I am not against any measure when it comes to helping poor. IMO, Rs 1000 as well as free electricity is good measure. Problem lies in, Can it be economically sustained by gvmnt. Punjab is not New Delhi when it comes to earning and taxes and state income. And hence I have serious doubt whether above plan was done with economical calculation or if state will go out seeking loan from Centre and may be in couple of years down the line there will be power outages

22 minutes ago, G_B_ said:

Anybody who governs punjab will have to confront the deficit in revenue.

True....distributing election promise freebies is one thing but managing deficit will be a big challenge. Since people of Punjab have given a complete majority govt to AAP, they have to show the results in the term to justify the votes.

I think they need to focus on industrial policy. This means attracting major heavy industries. 

I also feel while unpopular punjab needs to make a city like ludhiana or jalander its capital and boost the service industry there.