Serial blasts at Jaipur : will it affect IPL?

CSK Fan

Jaipur to host IPL matches post blasts Lalit Modi made it clear that the IPL match between Rajasthan and Bangalore will not be shifted from Jaipur. More... Jaipur to host IPL matches post blasts Agencies Posted online: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 at 1328 hrs IST New Delhi, May 14: : Indian Premier League Commissioner Lalit Modi made it clear that Saturday's match between Rajasthan Royals and Bangalore Royal Challengers will not be shifted from Jaipur in the wake of Tuesday's blasts in the Rajasthan capital. "The next DLF Indian Premier League match scheduled in Jaipur is on Saturday between Rajasthan Royals and Bangalore Royal Challengers and will be played as per schedule," Modi said in a statement. Modi also assured that there would be no compromise on security front for the IPL matches at the Sawai Mansingh Stadium. "Security for future matches will be heightened and no bags will be allowed in the stadium," he said. Modi also took the opportunity to condemn the serial blasts that ripped across Jaipur claiming more than 60 lives. "I whole-heartedly condemn the reprehensible acts of terrorism which have claimed the lives of many innocent people," Modi said. "Terrorists have no religion and whoever is behind these blasts should be hunted down and meted out exemplary punishment," he said.

Centre assures peace at IPL matches Minister of state for home affairs Sri Prakash Jaiswal said that the centre would help Rajasthan goverment to ensure that the IPL matches go on without hindrance. More... Centre assures peace at IPL matches Onkar Singh in New Delhi May 14, 2008 15:48 IST Last Updated: May 14, 2008 16:40 IST Minister of state for home affairs Sri Prakash Jaiswal has assured Rajasthan government that the centre would extend all possible help to the state government to see to it that the cricket matches are peacefully conducted without any further hinderance. He was addressing a press conference at north block in New Delhi, on Wednesday, after visiting Jaipur. On Wednesday, serial blasts rocked old Jaipur, killing 60 people and injuring a further 150. After the blasts some of the teams taking part in the tournament had expressed their apprehension whether the teams would be safe while playing. "The government of India would extend all possible help to the state government to see the tournament through. Jaipur is one of the centres and witnessed terrorist strike last night taking lives of the innocent persons. "In fact we would like to see to it that any other sports tournament is also taken to its logical conclusion in a peaceful manner,"Jaiswal said.

Bombings could prompt IPL players to leave- theage.com.au

Shane Warne and a host of the Indian Premier League's international stars may leave the country in the next few days after deadly bombings claimed an estimated 80 lives on Tuesday. Warne, the captain-coach of the ladder-leading Rajasthan Royals, is extremely shaken up by the terrorist attack in the team's base city of Jaipur and held an emergency meeting last night with team owners, fellow players Graeme Smith and Shane Watson, and team manager Darren Berry. Warne, Smith, Watson and Berry were in Goa at the time of the attack on a four-day break but they are refusing to return to Jaipur for the time being, and may not return at all. Berry said there was "a real option of getting on the plane and getting out of here" as he recounted how he had been standing in the blast sight two nights before the attack. Seven bombs detonated simultaneously in crowded markets during peak-hour and, along with the many casualties, at least another 150 people taken to hospital. "This is an extremely uncomfortable situation," Berry said from Goa. Cricket has been good to me, but I have a wife and three kids back in Melbourne and they are less than impressed with the part of the world I am in. "I was talking to Warnie this morning and asked, 'If this blast had occurred a day before we were due to fly over here, would we still have come?' He said there was no way we would have come. "It is terrifying. To think I was standing in the exact location the bombs went off only two days ago . . . it was a couple of kilometres from the team hotel. The whole country has gone into lockdown." While IPL commissioner Lalit Modi promised extra security at grounds yesterday, he said there were no plans to reschedule games - Rajasthan is due to host Bangalore on Saturday. "That is the part that scares me," Berry said. "These games are getting big crowds. People over here tell me this has nothing to do with cricket, it is political . . . but if some people are prepared to cause this type of damage, detonating bombs in peak-hour to harm the most number of people possible . . . 50,000 people come to the stadium to watch the games." As he spoke to The Age, Berry watched news coverage of the bombing on television. "The death toll just keeps getting higher . . . you can see them hosing a whole heap of blood off the streets." The blasts have been linked to a Bangladesh-based Islamic group.
link

"It is terrifying. To think I was standing in the exact location the bombs went off only two days ago . . . it was a couple of kilometres from the team hotel. The whole country has gone into lockdown."
Is that really true? From what I've seen, that's probably not the case. Fair enough, if they want to leave.

Is that really true? From what I've seen' date=' that's probably not the case. Fair enough, if they want to leave.[/quote'] yeah right , like this the first time anything like this happened and whole of india in lockdown. damm westerners always try to paint a gloomy picture

Berry seems very concerned and I think he should come back to Aus ... I dont think he will be missed On a serious note, I think its alright if they wanna leave ... I mean how many Indian players would like to be in Pak after so many bombings
ofcourse thats what i said if they dont wanna be there , they r more than welcome to leave

well i guess no guts cuz if that happens in oz would they leave' date=' its not that somebody is targeting foreigners, this can happen anywhere it happened in europe and in britain . if they wanna leave, good for them, bye bye[/quote'] actually some of the aussie players wanted to leave Eng after the london bombing as well but they didnt !

Phattus...yes, they are real phattooz...look what they say: "We are not comfortable at all," Berry told the Sydney Morning Herald from Goa. "This is an extremely uncomfortable situation. Cricket has been good to me, but I have a wife and three kids back in Melbourne and they are less than impressed with the part of the world I am in." Berry said there had been discussions with Warne over the seriousness of the situation. "I was talking to Warney this morning and asked: 'If this blast had occurred a day before we were due to fly over here, would we still have come?' He said there was no way we would have come.

well i guess no guts cuz if that happens in oz would they leave' date=' its not that somebody is targeting foreigners, this can happen anywhere it happened in europe and in britain . if they wanna leave, good for them, bye bye[/quote'] then what? there is more unrest there than in India. But we Indians have never let the spirit of life down. We stood firm against all these acts of terrorism, boldly.
Berry seems very concerned and I think he should come back to Aus ... I dont think he will be missed On a serious note, I think its alright if they wanna leave ... I mean how many Indian players would like to be in Pak after so many bombings
a timely example, handy enough to convey the message of solidarity and rational thinking.
Perfectly understandable' date=' that they want to leave. They have families abroad who are tense and worried as well. They are in this IPL for *money* but they wont want to ignore their families' concerns.[/quote'] Okies, but there is no need for them reveal publicly or through press. They can slip away from India slowly in dark nights as Britishers flew away in 1947. Some of them are ideal/hero for the fans, now whats their image...just like cowards and fugitives.

The administrators should not put any kind of pressure on the players to stay back. If some of the players aren't comfortable with the situation there is no way they will be able to play as well as they usually can. There is no point in playing cricket in a state of fear. They should leave the country if they reckon they are uncomfortable or fearful.

The administrators should not put any kind of pressure on the players to stay back. If some of the players aren't comfortable with the situation there is no way they will be able to play as well as they usually can. There is no point in playing cricket in a state of fear. They should leave the country if they reckon they are uncomfortable or fearful.
exactly if they dont wanna be there in jaipur , they should leave but i dont know why they making big deal out of these bombings, this happens in india all the time after every 5 or 6 months. its not like country is on fire or chaos all over

exactly if they dont wanna be there in jaipur ' date=' they should leave but i dont know why they making big deal out of these bombings, this happens in india all the time after every 5 or 6 months.
Hence its no big deal? :((

We should be worried that it happens so often - not dismiss it because of that. I totally understand how the Aussies are feeling right now - it is no different from how they felt when they were asked to play in Pakistan. No amount of money is worth their lives (if they're in threat). I hope that IPL and the Indian Government take enough steps to make sure that the players feel safe when playing.