Serial blasts at Jaipur : will it affect IPL?

CSK Fan

If they wanna leave they can leave!!
exaccctLY ]they know it from the beginning this stuff happens in india before hand its not like it was out of blue. they already knew like they said this part of the world is unsafe or something like that in article. and come on the situation in india is completely different than pakistan and i know it can happen anywhere , it can happen here in canada too .

Guest HariSampath

I think the players are perfectly justified and really scared. Indians may not necessarily be. Even Jaipur is back to normal within 24 hrs I think, folks are going to work, colleges etc and its all ok. In other parts of India, big cities like Kolkatta, Chennai and Mumbai are hardly affected , people just talk about it, shrug and move on. But we must remember that people from western countries are not used to the idea that there may be a bomb attack anywhere anytime, particularly big cities . The fact that these players are daily flying in and out of Bangalore, Chennai, Mumbai and Delhi makes them worry whether they could be caught in the wrong city at the wrong time. They always measure safety standards by what they had grown used to back home and rightly so. In Melbourne, London or Jo'burg there is no real danger of a bomb attack in public streets and this would seem very scary to them, and why not ? The added factor is , as someone has commented, even if the issue is political , if the idea is to cause maximum damage to lots of people and gain maximum publicity, what better place than a cricket match ? Surely it is not practical to expect cricketers to play in such an environment. I guess maybe some cricketers from pakistan and Sri Lanka may be slightly more comfortable than Aussies, Saffies etc, because they see the same thing back home everyday, but even then why would anyone want to go out of the way and take a risk ? India is a very unsafe country by International standards, where probability of traffic accidents are much higher, food poisoning , epidemics, being robbed, raped , cheated etc are all higher risk issues for most Westerners, and their missions/consulates in India maintain travel advisories based on risk levels. If the travel advisory right now says it is not safe for the citizens of their country to be traveling/touring in any Indian city, how can we expect cricketers to do so ? I think the players concerned/worried may leave , but may stay if a real lot of persuasion is used.

Warne, Watson consider quitting IPL Shane Warne, Shane Watson and Graeme Smith are considering quitting the IPL after the serial blasts in Jaipur. More... Warne, Watson consider quitting IPL May 15, 2008 12:23 IST The serial blasts in Jaipur may take its toll on the ongoing multi-million dollar Indian Premier League as Australian stars Shane Warne [images] and Shane Watson and South African Graeme Smith [images] are considering quitting the tournament, according to media reports. Rajasthan Royals' Warne, Watson, Smith and team manager Darren Berry -- now holidaying in Goa [images] -- are very scared after the incident and are refusing to return to Jaipur. They are even considering leaving India altogether. "(There's) a real option of getting on the plane and getting out of here. We are not comfortable at all. This is an extremely uncomfortable situation," Berry was quoted as saying by Macquarie National News. Berry said his family members in Australia were concerned about his safety in India. "Cricket has been good to me, but I have a wife and three kids back in Melbourne and they are less than impressed with the part of the world I am in." Berry said Warne was also worried due to the bomb blasts that killed more than 60 people in the Pink City. "I was talking to Warnie and asked, 'If this blast had occurred a day before we were due to fly over here, would we still have come?', he said there was no way we would have come. "It is terrifying. To think I was standing in the exact location the bombs went off only two days ago...it was a couple of kilometres from the team hotel. "The whole country has gone into lockdown." Rajasthan Royals are next meeting Bangalore Royal Challengers in their home leg encounter on May 17 and although IPL commissioner Lalit Modi has assured that extra security will be put in place for the tie, Berry is anxious about the evening. "That is the part that scares me. "These games are getting big crowds. "People over here tell me this has nothing to do with cricket, it is political ...but if some people are prepared to cause this type of damage, detonating bombs in peak-hour to harm the most number of people possible...50,000 people come to the stadium to watch the games," Berry said.

Phattus...yes, they are real phattooz...look what they say: "We are not comfortable at all," Berry told the Sydney Morning Herald from Goa. "This is an extremely uncomfortable situation. Cricket has been good to me, but I have a wife and three kids back in Melbourne and they are less than impressed with the part of the world I am in." Berry said there had been discussions with Warne over the seriousness of the situation. "I was talking to Warney this morning and asked: 'If this blast had occurred a day before we were due to fly over here, would we still have come?' He said there was no way we would have come. then what? there is more unrest there than in India. But we Indians have never let the spirit of life down. We stood firm against all these acts of terrorism, boldly. a timely example, handy enough to convey the message of solidarity and rational thinking. Okies, but there is no need for them reveal publicly or through press. They can slip away from India slowly in dark nights as Britishers flew away in 1947. Some of them are ideal/hero for the fans, now whats their image...just like cowards and fugitives.
Most of the players visited the market place where the balsts happened less than 24 hours before the blast. how would you feel if you were in their shows? That too in an alien country? Would you feel like playing cricket?

Modi scotches rumours of Warne's pull-out from IPL Warne, Watson to play on Saturday More... Modi scotches rumours of Warne's pull-out from IPL May 15, 2008 15:25 IST Last Updated: May 15, 2008 15:32 IST Indian Premier League Commissioner Lalit Modi rubbished reports that Rajasthan Royals' skipper Shane Warne [images] -- along with teammates Shane Watson and Graeme Smith [images] -- is quitting the tournament due to the bomb blasts in Jaipur, saying the trio are already on their way to the Pink City to play the next match there. "All Australian players and the team is now going to play in Jaipur tomorrow [Friday]. We are looking forward to it. Yes, they were little bothered but now they are assured. They are on their way to the city," Modi said. Rajasthan Royals will take on Bangalore Royal Challengers in a home encounter on Saturday. According to media reports in Australia, Warne, Watson and South Africa skipper Smith are considering quitting the tournament after the Jaipur serial blasts that claimed more than 60 lives on Tuesday. Assuring that there will be no compromise on security, Modi said the players' accommodation and the Sawai Mansingh stadium will be completely cordoned off. "I am not at liberty to describe security arrangements, but, yes, We have the security arrangements beefed up. We are requesting everybody to come in the stadium without bags, lighters, matches or bottles. Also, the players area will be totally cordoned off and nobody would be allowed to go near the players," he said. Asked if there was any hesitation among the players, Modi said although the cricketers were a little apprehensive earlier, they are quite comfortable now. "They were in fear about what the situation was. They were looking at media reports and at what was happening. When they came to know about all the arrangements that have been made on the ground, they were quite comfortable and happy with," Modi said. Meanwhile, Rajasthan Royals CEO Fraser Castellino said the franchise is in touch with the IPL and the state agencies and satisfied with the security arrangements. "We are working closely with IPL and the state government agencies. We had sniffer dog squads and bomb disposal squads covering the stadium and outer perimeter areas; so we are taking it seriously," Castellino said. "Security is a concern, but we are satisfied that sufficient steps are being taken to look into the matter and ensure that no untoward incident happens," he added.

Guest HariSampath

Who will miss a chance to steal another 2 points from BRC and that too it will just take an hour or so ;-)